How do i attach items to the outside of my BOB?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How do i attach items to the outside of my BOB? within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; First I know how to use the MOLLE webbing but attaching items such as my sleeping bag, sleep mat, and my tent. I've tried to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jro1

Thread: How do i attach items to the outside of my BOB?

First I know how to use the MOLLE webbing but attaching items such as my sleeping bag, sleep mat, and my tent. I've tried to use paracord, but it doesn't seem to work the way I would like it to, maybe im just not tying it correctly. Also what would be the best placement of these items?

Tent goes on outside of bag, but separate the poles and pegs to one side of the bag, and tent and fly to other side, sleeping bag in the bag....(because you want a "DRY" place to sleep), bed mat on the bottom of the outside. Attaching the gear requires some thinking! I don't normally have anything on the outside of my bag because it makes more noise, it can throw you off balance, catch on branches and so on......
    Prepared One likes this.
    BuckB Are you an organ donor? If not put your organs where your mouth is. An easy way to end organ shortages is for everyone to sign up to be a donor. You don't need to murder petty criminals for that purpose. - will2

I've always kept the sleeping mat and sleeping bag rolled up (separately ) strapped to the top and upper back portion of the ruck. I use the standard flat nylon and buckles...like you see on standard back pack shoulder harness adjustors to cinch it down. Never had a problem. I keep poncho, or wet weather role and a small blanket (poncho liner) inside my ruck. My sleeping bag is covered by the gortex cover for water resistance...If I'm going in or near water I just wrap the bag in a plastic bag and re cinch it down. This has worked for decades in the worst terrain imaginable. Should serve your purposes well

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I assume you want to do this to have more room for other things in your pack? Many packs have straps on the outside bottom of frame for mats or bags. But adding two straps of any kind will work (bottom outside frame). Do you use a compression stuff sack for you bag? You can get a bag pretty small with that. And as Jro1 mentioned keeping that in your bag is quite common so it stays dry. Also getting it caught on trees can be an issue. Got a H20 proof bag? That changes things... Sea to Summit makes some good stuff sacks (even H20 proof) so that too could allow you to keep it outside the pack. Just some thoughts, I'm sure many more will be posted here. Keep tinkering til you find what you like.
    Hidden Content

First Aid Supplies and More!!
    Hidden Content
    DERMA-REDI.com

If you are hanging all kinds of gear off your bag. Chances are your bag isn't larger enough for your needs or your mission. I understand that you need some stuff for quick access but if you look like a bag lady :grin: then that's too much. Everything I need including sleeping gear, shelter and food are inside of the bag.

How do i attach items to the outside of my BOB?-dscf2627-2-.jpg
    Last edited by Tennessee; 09-02-2014 at 07:46 AM.

No Offense to Baglady
    Hidden Content

First Aid Supplies and More!!
    Hidden Content
    DERMA-REDI.com

Quote Originally Posted by taps50 View Post
    First I know how to use the MOLLE webbing but attaching items such as my sleeping bag, sleep mat, and my tent. I've tried to use paracord, but it doesn't seem to work the way I would like it to, maybe im just not tying it correctly. Also what would be the best placement of these items?
    It would help a lot to know what kind of bag you're working with.
    Rest In Peace, Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Super Moderator

Like someone else said, it's hard to give a good idea without knowing what kind of pack you are using but with that said maybe these might be the ticket for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-2...s+for+backpack

I believe the answer you are looking for is flat web straps. Search on Amazon for "sleeping bag straps".

The less you have on the outside of the bag the better for the reasons stated above. Just curious........Have you pacticed with your bag? Some like to pack all kinds of crap in their bags only to discover when you have to pack it on your back and walk for 8 hours that it is to heavy. For example, I discovered that 8 bottles of Jack Black was to heavy and took up to much room so I put the bottles in my wifes pack and now mine is manageable!
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Sponsored Links