Gun and ammunition confiscation authorized in Virgin Islands ahead of Irma
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Gun and ammunition confiscation authorized in Virgin Islands ahead of Irma within the News & Links forums, part of the General Discussion category; I didn't believe it until I read it for myself. The Governor of the Virgin Islands has issued an order that grants the National Guard ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Gun and ammunition confiscation authorized in Virgin Islands ahead of Irma

I didn't believe it until I read it for myself.

The Governor of the Virgin Islands has issued an order that grants the National Guard authority "to seize arms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary material and any other property that may be required by the military forces..." to help... um... fight a hurricane???

What the hell???
    What kind of brash overstep is this?
    This man should be found, hogtied, and lashed to a streetlight on the coast, and made to wait out this storm.

Daily Caller has the story: Virgin Islands Grabbing Guns Ahead Of Irma | The Daily Caller
    And a link to the actual order: http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/up...NATL-GUARD.pdf
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    I didn't believe it until I read it for myself.

The Governor of the Virgin Islands has issued an order that grants the National Guard authority "to seize arms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary material and any other property that may be required by the military forces..." to help... um... fight a hurricane???

What the hell???
    What kind of brash overstep is this?
    This man should be found, hogtied, and lashed to a streetlight on the coast, and made to wait out this storm.

Daily Caller has the story: Virgin Islands Grabbing Guns Ahead Of Irma | The Daily Caller
    And a link to the actual order: http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/up...NATL-GUARD.pdf
    I'm not a Constitutional scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but would this not violate the 2nd Amendment?
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Wow, If this is not case for a Violation of 2nd and 5th Amendment then nothing is....AS A U.S. Territory....

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Due Process of Law

A fundamental, constitutional guarantee that all legal proceedings will be fair and that one will be given notice of the proceedings and an opportunity to be heard before the government acts to take away one's life, liberty, or property. Also, a constitutional guarantee that a law shall not be unreasonable, Arbitrary, or capricious.

The constitutional guarantee of due process of law, found in the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, prohibits all levels of government from arbitrarily or unfairly depriving individuals of their basic constitutional rights to life, liberty, and property. The due process clause of the Fifth Amendment, ratified in 1791, asserts that no person shall "be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." This amendment restricts the powers of the federal government and applies only to actions by it. The Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, ratified in 1868, declares,"[N]or shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" (§ 1). This clause limits the powers of the states, rather than those of the federal government.

The Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment has also been interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court in the twentieth century to incorporate protections of the Bill of Rights, so that those protections apply to the states as well as to the federal government. Thus, the Due Process Clause serves as the means whereby the Bill of Rights has become binding on state governments as well as on the federal government.
    Denton, Kauboy, Camel923 and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Since the U.S Virgin Islands are only territories does that mean there are loopholes that allow this? I'm under the impression all the rights enjoyed by states are enjoyed by territories except the right to vote.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

First Australia, now the Virgin Islands, baby steps. How long and what will it take before it's in country??
    Smitty901 likes this.

When I first read it I thought the word seize was mistaken.
    I thought perhaps they meant obtain. Obtain as it get their
    weapons from their armory, bases, etc? Nothing suggested
    take from citizens. Sadly nothing doesn't say take from
    citizens. That's poorly written.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    First Australia, now the Virgin Islands, baby steps. How long and what will it take before it's in country??
    You forgot England and Kanukisthan (partially).

Is the Governor a Democrat ?

The United States Virgin Islands has not yet adopted a constitution. A fifth attempt to adopt a constitution occurred in 2007. Previous attempts took place in 1964, 1971, 1977 and 1980.

Currently, the U.S. Territory is governed by the "Revised Organic Act of the Virgin Islands," a federal law approved by Congress in 1954.

https://ballotpedia.org/United_State...s_Constitution
    RedLion and Medic33 like this.

Great. Make life safe for all looters in the aftermath.
    RedLion likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links