End of an era: Last U.S. lead smelter to close in December - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

End of an era: Last U.S. lead smelter to close in December

This is a discussion on End of an era: Last U.S. lead smelter to close in December within the News & Links forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by PaulS The last smelter shut down is a minor event in reality because we still recycle most of the lead we use ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: End of an era: Last U.S. lead smelter to close in December

  1. #11
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    The last smelter shut down is a minor event in reality because we still recycle most of the lead we use in the country but it is significant in that it will cost the jobs for the employees, transportation industry, and those that support, or are supported by, the smelter.

    This is a case of removing industries that are key to the defense of our nation. Where will the military get their lead for; bullets, ballast, reactor shielding, etc.?
    I am not sure there isn't some purpose to all the factories being dismantled, We won ww-2 because of our manufacturing ability, that now has been greatly reduced. Lake City is now the only small ammunition factory we have for the military. During the Iraq war (the first one at least) you couldn't hardly buy ammo or reloading supplies because all the commercial factories were busy trying to keep the military supplied.

  2. #12
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,028
    The whole manufacturing process is toxic as hell from beginning to end with poison waste produced by the mega tons. Sorry, but unless we're seriously considering locking down our borders and becoming a REAL sovereign nation, let that crap go over seas. Import the finished product cleanly packaged and be happy about it!
    Reality: Hidden Content

  3. #13
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SE WA.
    Posts
    6,086
    I don't suppose too many people remember the shortages during the second world war but you couldn't get tires for your cars because we lost our importer for raw rubber, steel and copper were in short supply as was zinc. Everything was rationed simply because we didn't have the ability to use our own raw materials. We are headed back in that direction. We import most of our steel because the foundries here have closed. Ever try to make ships and tanks without steel? Two of the nations largest aluminum smelters shut down in Washington state a few years ago - now Boeing is importing aluminum assemblies that are built in China. We are just about in the same situation as we were before WW II.
    It will take years to gear back up for large scale manufacturing of heavy equipment, electrical equipment and electronics. We will need to rebuild our steel and aluminum industries and invent an electronics industry and find new resources to feed them.



    Nachtjager likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseStick View Post
    The whole manufacturing process is toxic as hell from beginning to end with poison waste produced by the mega tons. Sorry, but unless we're seriously considering locking down our borders and becoming a REAL sovereign nation, let that crap go over seas. Import the finished product cleanly packaged and be happy about it!
    Anyone else see the irony in the guy with Reardon Steal in his avatar posting this?

  6. #15
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseStick View Post
    The whole manufacturing process is toxic as hell from beginning to end with poison waste produced by the mega tons. Sorry, but unless we're seriously considering locking down our borders and becoming a REAL sovereign nation, let that crap go over seas. Import the finished product cleanly packaged and be happy about it!
    I remember people saying we are going to be a consumer nation. Other countries will have the factories and we will buy their products.
    Now how long is that going to work when the other countries realize that we are just printing money, buying their products that the work hard to make. What happens when they all of a sudden demand 10x for their product. I can tell you our currency would only be worth 1/10 what it was. Don't worry China is very happy to take our factories but what happens when they get to a point that instead of selling to us they can sell to the 1/2 billion of their own population that is living in poverty. In the long run those with the factories will decide what the price for their products will be.
    Nachtjager likes this.

  7. #16
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    922
    This is just another nail in the coffin that used to be the United States of America.\
    All thanks to Obummer, his handlers, and his sycophants.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    Samuel Adams

  8. #17
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Infidel View Post
    Anyone else see the irony in the guy with Reardon Steal in his avatar posting this?
    As far as this being "ammunition Armageddon"... What about tungsten and all the other substitutes they're using in place of lead?

    But yeah, if somebody else can make a product cleaner, simpler, cheaper, faster, better than us.... YUP, sounds EXACTLY like the Reardon Steel concept to me! Survival of the fittest in the business world without government interference. Wasn't that the point? If our manufacturing plants are failures (if they weren't they wouldn't be going out of business would they?), let somebody else step up and do the job better. Survival of the fittest.

    The reality is US manufacturing will never again be competitive in a world market as long as labor unions are insisting the guy pushing a broom and cleaning toilets is getting paid $25 an hour. And everybody else gets three times what he does. Add to this the proud, lazy, "entitled" American worker... We're DOOMED!

    Does the truth hurt? Irony?
    Last edited by BigCheeseStick; 11-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    Reality: Hidden Content

  9. #18
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseStick View Post
    As far as this being "ammunition Armageddon"... What about tungsten and all the other substitutes they're using in place of lead?

    But yeah, if somebody else can make a product cleaner, simpler, cheaper, faster, better than us.... YUP, sounds EXACTLY like the Reardon Steel concept to me! Survival of the fittest in the business world without government interference. Wasn't that the point? If our manufacturing plants are failures (if they weren't they wouldn't be going out of business would they?), let somebody else step up and do the job better. Survival of the fittest.

    The reality is US manufacturing will never again be competitive in a world market as long as labor unions are insisting the guy pushing a broom and cleaning toilets is getting paid $25 an hour. And everybody else gets three times what he does. Add to this the proud, lazy, "entitled" American worker... We're DOOMED!

    Does the truth hurt? Irony?
    The truth of the mater is automation is making a lot of factory workers obsolete doesn't mater what you are willing to pay them or how cheep they will work for. A modern automotive factory it take 6000 people to make 2000 cars a day and that includes administrative work, that is equivalent to 3 men making a car in one day and that was a few years ago. One section alone has around 2000 robots and there isn't any 4 people alive that could do the work of a robot. No human can handle a 250 lb spot welder like a toy or do repetitive task all day long. China may find in the future that they have this huge population that they will not be able to find work for. Unions are definitely a part of the reason factories have left but I would guess the EPA and fear of law suits are just as much a reason. It is not survival of the fittest because of the EPA and OSHA we are at a great disadvantage.

  10. #19
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseStick View Post
    The whole manufacturing process is toxic as hell from beginning to end with poison waste produced by the mega tons. Sorry, but unless we're seriously considering locking down our borders and becoming a REAL sovereign nation, let that crap go over seas. Import the finished product cleanly packaged and be happy about it!
    Caveat: I have never read from this site, a friend at work showed me this today so i am not sure of their validity:
    The Government War on Ammo ? LewRockwell.com

    The thing that bothers me is this
    Quote Originally Posted by From Above Link View Post
    Furthermore, in April of this year James Rawles of SurvivalBlog.com detailed new importation restrictions set forth in a Presidential Executive Action following the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting, which bans the importation of military surplus items that include magazines, firearms accessories and, of course, foreign ammunition.

    Couple this with the implementation of U.N. “authorized” trade restrictions set forth in the new UN Arms Trade Treaty, and you can see where this is headed.
    No importing it either!
    Last edited by PrepperLite; 11-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.

  11. #20
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,028
    Lead going up, silver and gold falling through the floor for years on end. Current Gold Price Chart - Price of Gold - Spot Gold Price Per Ounce

    Who'd a thunk it?
    Reality: Hidden Content

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Califorina bans the use of lead ammunition
    By Seneca in forum HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM
  2. Feds Try to Close the OCEAN Because of Shutdown
    By Prepadoodle in forum News & Links
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
  3. Threads Too Close to the Truth
    By PalmettoTree in forum General Talk
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 10:29 PM
  4. Would you say NO, to family or close friends?
    By AlaskanFamily in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM
  5. When they lost the lead
    By GoShpt in forum Books, Videos, Media, Podcasts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Search tags for this page

closer of lead plants

,

lead smelter shut down

,

missouri smelter to close

,

the last lead ingot smelting plant in the united states shuts down

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Back to Top