Mosin Nagant 91/30: Pros and Cons
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant 91/30: Pros and Cons within the News & Links forums, part of the General Discussion category; The Mosin Nagant 91/30 can serve well for several functions. If you want a "Doomsday Prepper" rifle to bury in your back yard in a ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mosin Nagant 91/30: Pros and Cons

The Mosin Nagant 91/30 can serve well for several functions. If you want a "Doomsday Prepper" rifle to bury in your back yard in a PVC pipe, this is an inexpensive way to go as long as you have access to ammo or can reload your own rounds.

Also, this can be a very cheap deer rifle if you hunt in brush country like I do (I say this based on the iron sights). I hate to say "cheap," it's a very sturdy piece of equipment.

Home defense? Not the best choice of all the firearms out there. But, if you can only throw down $100 to defend your family, it can certainly be a deterrent against bad guys. Remember the news story where the guy ran off a bunch of punks that were trying to get into his house? It was with this gun.

Another thing about these rifles is that the price will go UP in time. Remember how cheap SKS's were a few years back?

Also, one of the most important reasons for owning a 91/30 is that it's fun and different.

One drawback that I didn't think of when making the video: Overall length. This is the longest rifle I've owned. I'm sure it helps accuracy, but it can be unwieldy. This does take away from the "brush gun" role, of course.

I've also heard people complain that this rifle has a short length of pull. If you're pretty tall or just have long arms, I could see this being an issue. I'm OK with it.

Here's a video with some other pros and cons as well:

Pray for the best, prepare for the rest.
    Hidden Content

Re: Mosin Nagant 91/30: Pros and Cons

I really love this idea about the pvc tubing. I'm assuming to get two capped ends and some pvc pipe cement, wrap the gun in plastic, throw a big buch of silca gell in it, wrap the whole pvc again in plastic and burry it lenghtwise.

From what I've seen, there are a lot of "so called survivalist/preppers" out there that will laugh at the mosin nagant just because of its looks, cheap price etc. For that reason, I haven't gotten one. That was shallow of me for that mindset. BUT, when I saw your video on youtube and how you described it, I'm going to go ahead and get me one! Like you said, the price will only go up in time like the sks.

If you don't like the length, look at the M44 it's a carbine version, but it commands probably double the price, up to $300 so it kind of shoot the inexpensiveness out the window. Shoots the same ammo as the 91/30.

I have a 91/30 and man it's fun as hell to shoot! Accurate and you can put a bayonet on it! I have an AK and and AR and I would rather take my Mosin to the range then either, it's a fun gun and great to learn how to shoot on.

If you have a problem hitting right on your target, it's because the guns were originally sighted in with the bayonets on them (hand to hand combat was fairly common over there in Mother Russia) I should do a video on my rifles, but I have been lazy.

Anyways, good review on the Mosin, shoots a large round, and makes a loud noise. I've heard of some preppers stocking 20 of these because they are cheap and they are SUPER easy to operate, that way everybody in their survival group will have something to defend camp with!
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Don't they make those air tight vacuum bags for guns? thought i saw them in cheaperthandirt, that would better for long-term burial then silica bags i would think...

I heard from thearmorychannel on youtube about brassstacker.com and they have a sweet little scope mount for the Mosin where you don't need to change your bolt out!
    http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/scope-mount/

If you get like 5 of these rifles with those scopes on them you could arm your whole family for the price of an AR15, and have change to buy a boat load of ammo! Get a proven sniper rifle!

Mosin Nagant Stock Options ? War Gun Mods this site has the things that you needed for your rifles.

No longer here.

About the Original question. Why did America need to keep their arms dealers afloat after the Mosin Nagant deal? If you are foolish enough to bet your life and those that rely upon you, their lives on a Mosin Nagant? Why didn't America field this rifle in any action? Is there a question why this rifle costs so little? Guess why you spend so little? First loser isn't part of the American Doctrine. The 1903 Springfield with the 30-06 was kicking every Mosin Built back in the day, so jump up and add to the loser cause while you supposedly are protecting those that depend on you! Need I say More? Save all those republic credits. dead man don't have a need to spend much. JMHO.

A 91/30 and several M-44's call this home! My rifles shoot better than I can and ammo is avail on-line and at the big retailers.
    I keep them in my "Break glass in case of War" collection and shoot them a few times a year. My Polish M-44 1952 model is my favorite!

Check out the movie "Enemy at the Gates" for some Mosin scenes.
    Last edited by SDF880; 01-13-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: .
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    About the Original question. Why did America need to keep their arms dealers afloat after the Mosin Nagant deal? If you are foolish enough to bet your life and those that rely upon you, their lives on a Mosin Nagant? Why didn't America field this rifle in any action? Is there a question why this rifle costs so little? Guess why you spend so little? First loser isn't part of the American Doctrine. The 1903 Springfield with the 30-06 was kicking every Mosin Built back in the day, so jump up and add to the loser cause while you supposedly are protecting those that depend on you! Need I say More? Save all those republic credits. dead man don't have a need to spend much. JMHO.
    But the U.S. did field the weapon, here for training and guard duty; and in Russia by an American Expeditionary force sent to protect U.S. interests in the north of Russia.

NRA Museums:

The American Mosin Nagants

Mosin-Nagant M91 Was Used By US Military - Handguns and Ammunition Forums

The Mosin is good for what it is, a tough & simple to operate rifle with decent accuracy and plenty of punch. The only problem would be a reliable and cheap source of ammo. Make sure you have plenty in stock and get some reloading dies for it.
    Ikean and rice paddy daddy like this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

There is a major difference between cheap and inexpensive. I consider the 91/30 as inexpensive. It's accurate,and tough as a 5 cent stake! If that's all one can afford it's better than not being armed at all. Buy a crate full and one can outfit a squad. I for one would not want to be down range of a 91/30!
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links