Students March for Free Tuition and Forgiveness of Debt
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Students March for Free Tuition and Forgiveness of Debt within the News & Links forums, part of the General Discussion category; Just a harmless trend or something to be concerned about? I have no idea, but evidently college students across the country are more organized than ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Students March for Free Tuition and Forgiveness of Debt

Just a harmless trend or something to be concerned about? I have no idea, but evidently college students across the country are more organized than ever before and are demanding that student debt be forgiven and free tuition offered.

It is estimated that there is $1.2 Trillion in student loan debt, much of it government backed or at least big bank owned, which means government backed. Currently about 10% of that ($110 Billion and 8 million borrowers) are in default.

This could equal the Housing Crash...or be nothing..who knows?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/students-a...110404606.html
    Last edited by Slippy; 11-12-2015 at 10:52 AM.

I wonder if homeowners should march for free utilities and forgiveness of mortgages........

/sarcasm
    It is an evil society that blames the tool for the actions of its user.

Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    I wonder if homeowners should march for free utilities and forgiveness of mortgages........

/sarcasm
    Why not?
    "When I went to college, I expected to get a good job afterwards, and now I can't, so I shouldn't be expected to pay"
    is just as effective as
    "When I signed my mortgage contract, I expected to have a good job, and now I don't, so I shouldn't be expected to pay"

I'm still paying on my damn student loans, they can pay for theirs too. Good for nothing cheapskates.
    This comes from a generation that got their way if they cried long enough to mama. Now mama has been replaced by government. They've turned their attention, but it's the same old routine.
    MisterMills357, 7052 and Slippy like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

This is just plain stupid! People should pay their student loans! [Said as I slowly slip MY student loan bill into the pile to be forgiven]
    I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being. - Theodore Roosevelt

There is a way for their debts to be forgiven, if they work Join the Military (not all fields apply) for 10 years or the public school systems for 10 years there are programs that repay all their student debts.

Note to consumers of higher education that borrow money: The money is not free. You are required to pay it back with interest. No you can not absolve yourself of the debt via bankruptcy. Before applying to go to college do your due diligence. What are job prospects like for your degree? Pay? Can you use this degree in creative ways for employment? What are you paying? Is it a great deal or are you over paying because the campus is pretty or your friend goes there. Dumbest reason of all is "It's a party school". You want bang for the buck. Look at employment and income statistics for graduates in your field of study. How much are you borrowing vs what are you likely to make? Numbers do not lie. If you can not make enough with your major to pay the loans or can not find a job to use that sheep's skin do something else. Stop wining. Get two jobs flipping burgers.

Do the marchers get issued brown shirts?
    Last edited by Camel923; 11-12-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    rim and Arklatex like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

There is a way for their debts to be forgiven, if they work Join the Military (not all fields apply) for 10 years or the public school systems for 10 years there are programs that repay all their student debts.
    Not really:

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer.

This is the program that I'm in and they forgive the balance of your debt after you've made 10 years worth of payments.

But there's a lot of people who graduate from college who don't want to work for one of the qualifying employers. Instead, they actually want to go into the private sector and make real money. I suppose they'd like us to be like one of the many countries who provide a free college education at public colleges or universities. The only problem with them is that they have far fewer students going to college and pay far more in taxes than we do here in the good old USA.
    darsk20 likes this.
    I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being. - Theodore Roosevelt

Then the question becomes, do you want these types of ingrates serving in your military, or teaching your kids?
    Not so much.
    Slippy likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Then the question becomes, do you want these types of ingrates serving in your military, or teaching your kids?
    Not so much.
    Actually, the people I know that are in those programs are glad to be there. A lawyer I served with in Afghanistan is having the Army pay off her loans for a 10 year commitment and a couple of my cousins are teachers and love their jobs they will have their student loans paid off by their state once they have finished their 7th year of teaching. there are a lot of people who get into teaching and the Army who want to be there and see the repayment program as a bonus to doing what they want to do anyway.

The Army (actually the VA) paid for my college (post 9/11 GI bill).

Actually, the people I know that are in those programs are glad to be there. A lawyer I served with in Afghanistan is having the Army pay off her loans for a 10 year commitment and a couple of my cousins are teachers and love their jobs they will have their student loans paid off by their state once they have finished their 7th year of teaching. there are a lot of people who get into teaching and the Army who want to be there and see the repayment program as a bonus to doing what they want to do anyway.

The Army (actually the VA) paid for my college (post 9/11 GI bill).
    Yeah, but what about *these* people. Can you imagine the characteristics they'd bring to a professional environment?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links