Outbreak of bubonic plague
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Outbreak of bubonic plague within the News & Links forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ebola to the north and this to the East - too close for comfort:D Madagascar bubonic plague outbreak has claimed 47 victims | Daily Mail ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Tim215
  • 3 Post By RNprepper
  • 1 Post By Slippy
  • 2 Post By RNprepper
  • 3 Post By paraquack

Thread: Outbreak of bubonic plague

Ebola to the north and this to the East - too close for comfort:D

Madagascar bubonic plague outbreak has claimed 47 victims | Daily Mail Online
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tim215 View Post

Darn rodents and fleas! There are cases of plague in the western U.S. every year. Prairie dogs are often the hosts for the infected fleas. Plague is easily treated with antibiotics and in our country, this prevents huge outbreaks from occurring. Flagstaff, AZ is an interesting study in what happens when rattlesnake dens are wiped out. Guess what? The rodent population shoots up and there is increased incidence of plague. Snake dens are now protected in some areas, as the natural predation is important for keeping the rodent population down.

I think Hanta virus is scarier than plague. Wait til the media jumps on that bandwagon - again. It's due for another round of media driven hysteria. Again, those pesky rodents are to blame. I'll take some snakes any time over plague and Hanta.
    Slippy, ntxwheels and Denton like this.

We have many owls and copperhead snakes on our land and I suspect they help keep the rodent population in check. I also enjoy trying out different styles of mousetraps and the sticky traps work well on small mice. I found a small plastic version of the traditional mousetrap that works well. I've never thought about the mice carrying disease but from now on, its probably a good idea to use gloves or wash up after disposing of the rodent.
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    We have many owls and copperhead snakes on our land and I suspect they help keep the rodent population in check. I also enjoy trying out different styles of mousetraps and the sticky traps work well on small mice. I found a small plastic version of the traditional mousetrap that works well. I've never thought about the mice carrying disease but from now on, its probably a good idea to use gloves or wash up after disposing of the rodent.
    Definitely good idea to wash up after handling any rodent. If you happen to be in an area with Hanta virus (originally found in the Four Corners area, but in many other places as well) you have to clean up with 10% bleach. What happened is that Navajos were cleaning homes with brooms and stirred up the dried urine and feces particles from deer mice. Once the virus gets in the lungs it's pretty ugly. It was quite tje massive effort to even figure out what was killing people so quickly. Anyway, the protocol for house cleaning now in that area is to always wet mop - never broom. Dead rodents are picked up with gloves or tongs and dropped into a bucket of 10% bleach, trap and all. The area is cleaned with 10% bleach.

Of course with plague, it is the fleas that carry the bacteria. Pet dogs have been culprits by digging up rodents and getting hitch hiking fleas which then infect the dog owner.
    Slippy and Denton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Would this work with the rats and vermin in DC.
    ntxwheels, Denton and oddapple like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Would this work with the rats and vermin in DC.
    Only their voters...wait a little while.

Two things that come to mind are, is this another gmo version? They were playing with plague in jersey a few years back and "whoops!" Some plaugey mice got away! But nothing I know of ever stuck yet.
    Two, Madagascar is depopulating. It is almost impossible to believe black plague could do anything if it wasn't allowed to.
    Oh and third, yes, do not let your animals eat dead animals. A case in Texas was these stupid people letting their dogs savage and eat "sick rabbits" - then the dogs all ran to bed with the family and they all shared plague together.
    In these times to come, unless your animals are constantly on plague fighters like ours, remember what bible says "not to eat an animal that died of its own accord".
    We are in too virulent an area not to be on a steady diet of Antibacterials and seasonal anti-virals, but that season is finally getting to be year 'round...

Ps - when bleeding hearts bury the poor dead animals? It's human in G-d's eyes, but very practical on earth. Let them. Wash hands. That's one of those love things that really is loving everybody.

The most self centered and stupid populations, like africa and mexico leave the dead lying around in the street. Look at them and their disease levels for the simple "curse" of base heartlessness.
    Last edited by oddapple; 11-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tim215 View Post

Well lets get the jets fired up and fly over and get them sick folks and bring them here what could go wrong.

Sponsored Links