Government looking to collect location data from mobile phones? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Government looking to collect location data from mobile phones?

This is a discussion on Government looking to collect location data from mobile phones? within the News & Links forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Slippy Hey you're free to do what you want with your phone, but every generation of young people prior to this generation ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Government looking to collect location data from mobile phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Hey you're free to do what you want with your phone, but every generation of young people prior to this generation made it through life without a phone attached to the hip of their mother's.
    I know, right? I can't even imagine how parents managed to send their children across country to attend college like we did with our youngest. I would have gone out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I know, right? I can't even imagine how parents managed to send their children across country to attend college like we did with our youngest. I would have gone out of my mind.
    GASP!!!!!! Young people went to COLLEGE without a cell phone!! The HORRORS!

From 1941-1945 MILLIONS of young Americans were sent packing halfway around the World to fight the Nazis, the Fascists, and the Japs...with no CELL PHONE! Dang, how did we ever win the war?

The modern i-Phone may go down as one of the leading causes of the pussification of the human race...
    hawgrider and inceptor like this.

Christ! Back in the 70s I would go on a 5 month voyage with no phone contact at all for the whole time. Hell, snail mail service was even spotty. We all survived, even my mother.
    Slippy and Old SF Guy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I still use an old Tracphone "dumb phone". It's only on when I make calls, and I only use it to make calls, that's the only time a cell tower gets pinged.
    Hate to tell you this....but every time your phone registers it sends enough information to the network to locate you to within half a mile or so....old technology (GSM) or down to sub 100 meter (new 3G technology). If your calling from your home...they know where you are.

And thats without needing a GPS enabled handset...

Name:  Cell-Phone-Triangulation-300x236.png
Views: 15
Size:  30.3 KB
    inceptor likes this.

From 1941-1945 MILLIONS of young Americans were sent packing halfway around the World to fight the Nazis, the Fascists, and the Japs...with no CELL PHONE! Dang, how did we ever win the war?

The modern i-Phone may go down as one of the leading causes of the pussification of the human race...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Christ! Back in the 70s I would go on a 5 month voyage with no phone contact at all for the whole time. Hell, snail mail service was even spotty. We all survived, even my mother.

I didn't get a mobile phone until 2000 after my 3rd son was born, I have done so many tours overseas where there wasn't phones or internet that to have it is strange. Still got hard drives of movies for when I'm away. I haven't written a letter in so long I don't have envelopes on hand. I could go a long time without technology....but I'm not going to let fear keep me from enjoying it while its here.
    Slippy, T-Man 1066 and inceptor like this.

I know it's crazy, but there you have it.

I just hope they don’t check my internet search history.
    Slippy and SGG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Hate to tell you this....but every time your phone registers it sends enough information to the network to locate you to within half a mile or so....old technology (GSM) or down to sub 100 meter (new 3G technology). If your calling from your home...they know where you are.

And thats without needing a GPS enabled handset...

Name:  Cell-Phone-Triangulation-300x236.png
Views: 15
Size:  30.3 KB
    I'm under the impression with an old dumb phone, turned off, it is not registering anywhere.

Turned off my phone does not pick up/receive text messages, until it is later turned on, and sometimes that takes several/many minutes for a prompt to appear and/or a "new" message appears in the inbox. So I imagine turned on, without making a call you can be tracked.

I understand turned on and making a call it will ping to towers that can triangulate a location.

If this is not so, I have other options: remove battery, or wrap inside foil or a container which blacks any reception/transmission.

The Good Cop

I believe what the original post was referencing is the use of the "find friends" app.
    When enabled, this allows your friends to see your location, and you see theirs, in case you want to get together for a beer or something.

This is millenial touchy-feely stuff anyway.
    I have only one or two friends, and I don't even want them knowing where I am.
    Slippy, Mad Trapper and SGG like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

@fangfarrier posted this in the update thread -

Quote Originally Posted by fangfarrier View Post
    Israeli government texting people who are coming close to covid-19 carriers by monitoring smartphones.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/health...virus-patients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least they're not hiding that they're doing it.

BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links