Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

SCOTUS rules on 'painless' execution

6K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Kauboy 
#1 ·
They ruled 5-4 that the Constitution does not guarantee a painless execution. A bit of good news, but I think that executions should be painful. The more painful and frightening the better. They should be much more commonly occur and televised as well....

April 01-- WASHINGTON-The Supreme Court ruled Monday that the Constitution does not guarantee a "painless death" for condemned murderers, deciding that a Missouri inmate may be executed by a lethal injection despite a rare, severe condition that could cause him to suffocate.
https://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/los_angeles_times-supreme_court_says_the_constitution_does_not_ensur-tca-3

#2 · (Edited)
Any murderer convicted should die as his or her victim did if requested by surviving family members, if not then firing squad by default and agree with you RL, all Capitol punishment should be televised.

If you rape and murder, life will be tough for your future.

#8 ·
The two sad things about capital punishment:

1. Only 1 for sure knows the guilt and/or innocence, . . . the accused. At times there may be others, . . . but the accused ALWAYS knows the truth.

2. Once executed, . . . an innocent man can never be restored. If jailed, . . . he/she can some day be set free.

I'm against capital punishment as a rule, simply because of the second idea. All too many innocents have been done in here in the USA and we don't need any more.

May God bless,
Dwight

#6 ·
In Alabama, we had an electric chair named, "Yellow Mama" because it was painted with yellow highway line paint. It was built by the inmates. For decades, criminals rode the thunderbolt out of this life until it was retired due to some faulty executions. Sometimes the executions went according to plan but sometimes the death would be a little more gruesome than planned.

It seemed to me that the unreliability of a quick death would enhance the desired effect of deterrence.

#9 ·
So painless is not a requirement on one end and tossing them in a wood chipper is out on the other end. All we need to do is find something all federal liberal judges will agree with in the middle some where. No going to happen the delays will still keep happening.

#12 ·
I have no desire to make a person suffer just to punish them for their wrong-doings. Regardless of method, execution should be over quickly. The pain involved is of little importance to me. Their pain is yet to come.
I take a very sanitized approach to capital punishment. If a jury of your peers finds you guilty beyond reasonable doubt, you should not be taken out of court by a bailiff. You should be taken out of court by the undertaker, marched out of the courthouse, up the stairway of the gallows, a noose affixed, and a lever pulled. Cameras can be rolling or not, but your execution will be reported with full color pictures in the next day's press along with your crime.

The system gets it right FAR more than it gets it wrong. While some folks will indeed be put to death unjustly, that is not a sufficient argument for the removal of capital punishment, nor its delay. Get it done, remove the filth, and let all others know where their fate lies should they follow in the same path.

#14 ·
So the dude is on death row. You deliver him a case of booze, something he really likes, bag of weed along with. you do this a few times so he just expects it. After a while. When he passes out smiling. Give him the shot , plug him in what ever he goes out happy a painless done deal.

#18 ·
I'm not a fan of killing folks. I have never looked at an image of hanging or seen a firing squad death as a good punishment. But it is a rightful punishment. You can forfeit your right to live by your actions. If it takes a death sentence to convince people to obey laws, so be it. If it takes a harsh means of death so be it. I honestly choose not to witness death for any reason.... But thats because I've seen it in many forms. many people need to come to grips with death and dying, or else it is perceived as something that "Could never happen to me" and deterrents are lessened in impact.

Once you have seen a person hang (I did...in Iraq, after the fall of saddam...even young teenage boys.) it makes you just never hope to see that again....and makes me absolutely sure that I would die fighting before I died by execution.

#20 ·
I like the Slippy pike idea:

But there was no time for regrets now; everything must
yield to the execution. Lusnia stooped down and seizing
both hips he placed them in position and called cut to the
men who were holding the horses:

"Move on, but slowly, and together!"

The horses moved forward; the ropes became taut and pul-
led Azya's legs. In an instant his body was dragged along
the earth and reached the point of the stake. Then the point
began to penetrate him and something horrible began,
something repugnant to nature and humanity. The bones
of the wretch separated; his body parted in two directions; in-
describable agony, so awful as almost to verge on some mon-
strous delight, passed through him. The stake sank deeper
and deeper. Azya set his teeth, but could not endure it; his
teeth were bared in a horrible grin and from his throat came
a noise like the croak of a raven: "Ah! ah! ah!"

"Slowly!" the sergeant ordered.

Then he shouted to the men:

"Pull together! Stop! There, it is finished."

And he turned towards Azya who had suddenly become
silent except for a deep rattle in his throat.

The horses were quickly unhitched; then the stake was set
up and planted with the thick end in a hole prepared for it
and earth was packed round it. The son of Tukhay Bey
looked down on the work. He was conscious. This norrible
species of punishment was the more awful in that the victims
of impalement sometimes lingered for three days. Azya's
head was bowed on his breast; his lips were moving and
smacking as if he were tasting something. He then experi-
enced extreme faintness and saw a kind of thick grey mist
before his eyes which seemed dreadful for some reason or
other, and in this mist he recognized the faces of the sergeant
and the dragoons and saw that he was on the stake and that
the weight of his own body was sinking him deeper and
deeper. Then he began to get numb from the feet upwards
and less and less sensitive to pain.

Sometimes that grey mist became obscured and then he
would blink with his sound eye in the desire to witness every-
thing before his death. His gaze wandered persistently from
torch to torch, for it seemed that there was a rainbow circle
round each flame.

But his tortures were not over: presently the sergeant ap-
proached the stake with an augur in his hand and cried to
those about:

"Lift me up."

Two strong men hoisted him. Azya began to watch him
narrowly, blinking, as if trying to find out what kind of man
was climbing up to his elevation. Then the sergeant said:

"The lady knocked out one eye, and I vowed to bore out
the other."

Then he drove the point into the pupil and gave a couple
of twists and, when the lid and delicate skin surrounding the
eye were wound round the thread of the augur, he gave a jerk.

Then two streams of blood gushed from Azya's eye-sockets
and flowed down his cheeks like two streams of tears.

His face grew paler and paler. The dragoons extinguished
the torches in silence as if ashamed that light should shine on
such a dreadful deed, and from the moon's crescent fell faint
silvery rays on Azya's body. His head bowed low on his
breast; but his hands, bound to the oak staff and wrapped in
straw dipped in tar, were pointed upwards to the sky, as if
that son of the Orient were calling down the vengeance of the
Turkish crescent on his executioners.

"To horse!" was heard from Pan Adam.

Before mounting, with the last torch the sergeant set fire
to those uplifted hands of the Tartar, and the detachment
took their way towards Yampol. Amid the ruins of Rashkov
in the middle of the night and the desert, Azya, the son of
Tukhay Bey, remained on the lofty stake and gleamed
for a long time.

#27 · (Edited)
I'll post this again about the Muslim slimes. I am 1/2 pole and the only thing that stopped the horde for 300 years was the poles.

All of Europe would be dead or Dhimis now.

Slippy, I've got good hardwood and plenty of it. And I've got a shovel to make the holes for pikes.

As far as non-evil Muslims, few and far between, but I've known some. But there is a lot of evil Christians too.

QUOTE=Mad Trapper;1903963]I like the Slippy pike idea:

But there was no time for regrets now; everything must
yield to the execution. Lusnia stooped down and seizing
both hips he placed them in position and called cut to the
men who were holding the horses:

"Move on, but slowly, and together!"

The horses moved forward; the ropes became taut and pul-
led Azya's legs. In an instant his body was dragged along
the earth and reached the point of the stake. Then the point
began to penetrate him and something horrible began,
something repugnant to nature and humanity. The bones
of the wretch separated; his body parted in two directions; in-
describable agony, so awful as almost to verge on some mon-
strous delight, passed through him. The stake sank deeper
and deeper. Azya set his teeth, but could not endure it; his
teeth were bared in a horrible grin and from his throat came
a noise like the croak of a raven: "Ah! ah! ah!"

"Slowly!" the sergeant ordered.

Then he shouted to the men:

"Pull together! Stop! There, it is finished."

And he turned towards Azya who had suddenly become
silent except for a deep rattle in his throat.

The horses were quickly unhitched; then the stake was set
up and planted with the thick end in a hole prepared for it
and earth was packed round it. The son of Tukhay Bey
looked down on the work. He was conscious. This norrible
species of punishment was the more awful in that the victims
of impalement sometimes lingered for three days. Azya's
head was bowed on his breast; his lips were moving and
smacking as if he were tasting something. He then experi-
enced extreme faintness and saw a kind of thick grey mist
before his eyes which seemed dreadful for some reason or
other, and in this mist he recognized the faces of the sergeant
and the dragoons and saw that he was on the stake and that
the weight of his own body was sinking him deeper and
deeper. Then he began to get numb from the feet upwards
and less and less sensitive to pain.

Sometimes that grey mist became obscured and then he
would blink with his sound eye in the desire to witness every-
thing before his death. His gaze wandered persistently from
torch to torch, for it seemed that there was a rainbow circle
round each flame.

But his tortures were not over: presently the sergeant ap-
proached the stake with an augur in his hand and cried to
those about:

"Lift me up."

Two strong men hoisted him. Azya began to watch him
narrowly, blinking, as if trying to find out what kind of man
was climbing up to his elevation. Then the sergeant said:

"The lady knocked out one eye, and I vowed to bore out
the other."

Then he drove the point into the pupil and gave a couple
of twists and, when the lid and delicate skin surrounding the
eye were wound round the thread of the augur, he gave a jerk.

Then two streams of blood gushed from Azya's eye-sockets
and flowed down his cheeks like two streams of tears.

His face grew paler and paler. The dragoons extinguished
the torches in silence as if ashamed that light should shine on
such a dreadful deed, and from the moon's crescent fell faint
silvery rays on Azya's body. His head bowed low on his
breast; but his hands, bound to the oak staff and wrapped in
straw dipped in tar, were pointed upwards to the sky, as if
that son of the Orient were calling down the vengeance of the
Turkish crescent on his executioners.

"To horse!" was heard from Pan Adam.

Before mounting, with the last torch the sergeant set fire
to those uplifted hands of the Tartar, and the detachment
took their way towards Yampol. Amid the ruins of Rashkov
in the middle of the night and the desert, Azya, the son of
Tukhay Bey, remained on the lofty stake and gleamed
for a long time.[/QUOTE]

#28 ·
Why are you sparing the criminal? The only executions that occur are for the most callus disregard for human life without remorse. Being back hangings or do something the Muslims have right and behead them or stone them to death.

#33 ·
it has little to do with them and more to do with us. Why would you want to make law enforcement, penal officials have to carry out such acts? The act of killing someone is a very, very difficult thing to do, even in war were its expected. To perform this act in anything but a professional way, with humanity, we risk creating people who act inhumanely but justify it because of need. We have seen this before in history....it does not bode well for us societally or individually.

#37 ·
You do understand this pain thing is just a phony excuse to delay. There are countless ways to provide a painless death. How many of you have had surgery. You go in you get an IV at some point a nurse injects something in the IV. Before you know it you are out. You wake up latter that day no idea what happened. I have even had some major cutting done under local and was talking with Doc while he worked on me not one bit of pain. Ever been hurt and had someone hit you with Morphine, Boom there it is before the needle clears the skin. Last year my granddaughter had Surgery on her brain over 12 hours awake the enter time. Not one second of pain.
This whole argument is just a bunch of BS and we know it.

#41 · (Edited)
Although I could care less how much pain the condemned feel when put to death, for they surely did not give such consideration to those they themselves condemned to death, we as a society should not lower ourselves to their level. A shot in the back of the head will suffice, two if necessary. One trial, two appeals in three years. It shouldn't take 25 years, hundreds of thousands of dollars, and countless appeals to figure it out.

#43 ·
There is a huge difference between the deterrent of death, the execution, and what we have now as a form of justice. People who are rightly convicted are kept for years on death row....keeping them in a state of hopefulness, until right before it happens...even with the thought of a last minute reprieve. Most don't really think its going to happen to them. Most go quite mad during the wait. Thy learn to bask in the notoriety of it a and even commit more crimes while waiting, against guards or others.

Giving them a torturous end, while maybe illiciting some degree of temporary/perceived satisfaction for the bereaved...I guarantee you is not. No one sees torture and says he deserves it. You may think it, but when you see it and hear it...your mind screams "Dear God let it end".

I do understand your sentiment. I understand your idea and thought behind it, and I do wish that the system was fast and efficient. Some people just need to die. But until you have seen someone being tortured...until you have heard sounds come from a human that defy your understanding...I believe we as a country should protect the innocents of those who don't know...and should never know how that feels and what it does to your soul/mind. And it should never be something we do as a form of Justice...its vengeance your asking for, but it is justice we agreed to give everyone.

#46 · (Edited)
Many of us multiple tour veterans have experienced what you have, unnecessary death and suffering but Capitol punishment is not combat. I do believe if a person chooses to commit murder and is convicted the method that he or she used to conduct the murder should be applied to the perpetrator. With certain limitations.

The method would then be self determined by the convicted by his or her actions and not the State, To preclude that the method has no value or is not a deterrent is not valid. This is not torture in my mind.

The majority of murders are by gun, knife or beating in our area. As ugly as this subject is I do not understand societies quest to sanitize Capitol punishment to the point that it attempts to make everyone comfortable with the idea.

Capital punishment is not supposed to be comfortable or sanitary. It should be a reminder of how ugly and necessary it is.

And SF, thank you for going where others could not during your service, De oppresso libre.

Reactions: Denton
#44 · (Edited)
The death penalty can be a deterrent when used correctly, certainly is punishment and many would say is a measure of justice, but not complete by any means (no way to restore what is lost by the victims).
There was a prison guard in MN, Lino Lakes Facility that was recently beat to death with a hammer by an inmate that was serving a life sentence. This turd carefully planned and executed the kill (including welding a door shut to isolate himself with the guard). This turd will not get any additional punishment and the family and community will certainly not get any justice. This turd should be terminated immediately.
I think that "keeping them in a state of hopefulness" until it happens is a by-product of the justice system that will come when there are a number of appeals and an ineffective justice system. I do not believe that most go mad from the wait. I think that most either think that it will not really happen or that they may get off. I also do not believe that it is common by any stretch for an innocent person to be sentenced to death and I would be willing to bet that with the appeals system the chances of an innocent actually getting executed is miniscule these days with all the free legal help that high profile criminals get.
I have seen my share of death as well, from witnessing the death of a friend from a fall when I was 5, to seeing the aftermath of a person burned to death in a car at 15, to many others in my time in the military from combat action to accidents in training to drunk mistakes. It is always horrible.
I witness the deaths of veterans from time to time at work still to this day, as some go into cardiac arrest or otherwise "code" in public places at my work. Some are revived and some not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.