Hello Out there!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hello Out there!

This is a discussion on Hello Out there! within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Introduction and Welcome category; Hello from Canada! My husband and I are new to prepping. Unfortunately (and thankfully, too) it was the american election that finally prompted us to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hello Out there!

Hello Out there!

Hello from Canada!
    My husband and I are new to prepping. Unfortunately (and thankfully, too) it was the american election that finally prompted us to get started and have a deadline. We've been talking about for quite a while and now we have a start at least.
    My first question that I wonder if some could help with regarding food storage buckets. Every year we order grape juice that comes in 5 gallon food grade pails for making wine. They have a gasket and a little thingy in the lid to let air out when the juice starts fermenting. I have been saving these and using them to store dry goods. Is this sufficient to keep food stored properly? I do not have flour for example in a bag and then in the bucket. Just looking for additional advice or suggestions or for someone to let me know if this is a terrible idea! Below is a photo of the bucket.
    Thanks!
    (don't know why its sideways)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello Out there!-img_2925.jpg  

Slippy likes this.

Super Moderator

Welcome from Alabama!
    TG likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

TG

Welcome, Evie!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Welcome!

Use the search tool and type in "food buckets". You'll probably get your answer that way. Or wait around and one of our knowledgeable members can help you out.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Hello Evie,

I may not be able to help with all of your questions but I'll do my best.

Regarding your picture being sideways, CONGRATS! I don't know much but I know if you are drankin' some Vino and thangs ain't a bit sideways then you must not be doing it right!

There are a number of threads regarding food storage in food grade buckets, mylar bags, vacuum sealing etc. Do a search and you should find them.

Also, it used to be customary for new folks to post a picture of themselves in swimwear but I think that rule was lifted a while back. I'll check with the Powers to Be on that one...

Welcome and Go Habs!

Quote Originally Posted by Evie1058 View Post
    Hello from Canada!
    My husband and I are new to prepping. Unfortunately (and thankfully, too) it was the american election that finally prompted us to get started and have a deadline. We've been talking about for quite a while and now we have a start at least.
    My first question that I wonder if some could help with regarding food storage buckets. Every year we order grape juice that comes in 5 gallon food grade pails for making wine. They have a gasket and a little thingy in the lid to let air out when the juice starts fermenting. I have been saving these and using them to store dry goods. Is this sufficient to keep food stored properly? I do not have flour for example in a bag and then in the bucket. Just looking for additional advice or suggestions or for someone to let me know if this is a terrible idea! Below is a photo of the bucket.
    Thanks!
    (don't know why its sideways)

Howdy from Texas.

The buckets should be fine. I would put storage items in a mylar bag though first to ensure long term storage.

Welcome to PF from NC .
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Welcome from NE Texas, and don't sweat this prepping stuff, its only another thingy.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

hello from NoDak
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Welcome to the group from Arizona.
    Land of Sun, Surf, and Sand.
    Ok, I lied, no surf, but enough sand
    to fill all the dang sand bags I’ll ever need!
    Eventually we all find some reason to prep.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links