New Prepper Shaking His Head
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on New Prepper Shaking His Head within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Introduction and Welcome category; Hello all! A relatively new prepper here from Western PA. Thanks everyone, in advance, for the knowledge and expertise that you lend to the forum! ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Prepper Shaking His Head

Hello all! A relatively new prepper here from Western PA.

Thanks everyone, in advance, for the knowledge and expertise that you lend to the forum!

In trying to gain a knowledge base, I've been doing a good bit of reading...but found a lot of (well-rated, generally highly-regarded) sources to recommend plans that would be unaffordable, impractical, and/or downright ill-advised for a new prepper:

-Retrofitting interior walls with sandbags or gravel fill

-Planting boxwood rows to "channel" intruders (and any local kids or unsuspecting hunters) to potentially fatal "punji" traps

-Removing the glass from my windows/patio doors and replacing it with plexi-glass

-Retrofitting exterior doors with embedded iron bars

-Etc.

I am eager to learn and to become a more prepared family...but lots of the literature out there recommends measures that are simply not economically/practically feasible for us.

Can anyone recommend readily-available (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc) texts that are a little bit more on the "moderate" side for a newbie?

Thanks!

Welcome from Mississippi.

9UC

Welcome from Nevada. Sounds like you've got a plan going. I'm giving thought to the rolling type shutters or sliding bars for the patio doors.
    cecollie likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    Life Member: Vietnam Security Police Assn VSPA), DVA, VVA, VFW

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! We are so gald to have you here with us and hope you find a lot of what your looking for to help you along the way. Hope to see you around and see you often!

A few suggestion you might want to investigate...

The plexi glass on the windows is a pretty good idea as they dont shatter and break like glass and they are pretty durable. They however will be seriously effected by the sun over time and you might want to put a little thought into how you clean them to preserve them better and longer.

Not sure what you mean by bars embedded on the door. But there are a lot of ways to make a door much stronger and more secure.

One thing I would suggest that I saw in Japan in wide use is a shutter system thats installed on the outside of the homes exterior and it allows you to open and close them from the inside and lock them as well. They are not bullet proof mind you but they do a good job of stopping rock and other objects from being thrown at and breaking your windows. They do a wonderful job of protecting windows during a violent storm as well. I m sure there must be something here in the US that approximates them. While I am sure they are not the cheapest thing in the world, they look very nice and attractive, they are very functional and very durable. I was very impressed with them and if I ever move into a house I will have them shipped from Japan if I have too, and will most likely pay what ever the cost is. I liked them that much!!!

While most of these are bug in issues there are some practical steps. I got some used fencing free. Used the best looking pieces to build a box just big enough take in a water barrel. I also dipping down 12-14 inches for the barrel so the nice looking box is only about 3 feet up. They are conveniently placed to the exact point I would want to stand or kneel and look out the window. It's decent cover, looks good and ads to my water reserves in a big way. If you can get free wood from someone replacing a fence the big cost is a $20-25 barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Granlobo View Post
    Hello all! A relatively new prepper here from Western PA.

Thanks everyone, in advance, for the knowledge and expertise that you lend to the forum!

In trying to gain a knowledge base, I've been doing a good bit of reading...but found a lot of (well-rated, generally highly-regarded) sources to recommend plans that would be unaffordable, impractical, and/or downright ill-advised for a new prepper:

-Retrofitting interior walls with sandbags or gravel fill

-Planting boxwood rows to "channel" intruders (and any local kids or unsuspecting hunters) to potentially fatal "punji" traps

-Removing the glass from my windows/patio doors and replacing it with plexi-glass

-Retrofitting exterior doors with embedded iron bars

-Etc.

I am eager to learn and to become a more prepared family...but lots of the literature out there recommends measures that are simply not economically/practically feasible for us.

Can anyone recommend readily-available (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc) texts that are a little bit more on the "moderate" side for a newbie?

Thanks!

Super Moderator

Welcome, from southeast Alabama.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Hi from PA! I'm a newbie here, too. There are lots of practical and affordable things you can do. Is there anything specific you'd like help with? Sometimes that's the best place to start.
    Now, I do suggest watching the show Doomsday Preppers if you can. Granted, sometimes the individuals they choose can be a little "out there" but you can also get tons of great ideas, too. I know I have.

The Good Cop

Welcome from Florida.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Hello from Michigan!

Welcome from Michigan.... There is so much valuable information on this site you just have to read read read....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links