Just getting started
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Just getting started

This is a discussion on Just getting started within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Introduction and Welcome category; Hi All! Wanted to introduce myself and say a little about why it was interesting to join up. My background has been in technology for ...

View Poll Results: What do you feel is the survival skills will be necessary in the next 12 months?

Voters
1. This poll is closed
  • Very Likely

1 100.00%
  • Likely

0 0%
  • Unlikely

0 0%
  • Very Unlikely

0 0%
  • Could go either way.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Just getting started

Just getting started

Hi All!

Wanted to introduce myself and say a little about why it was interesting to join up.

My background has been in technology for my entire life but here lately the thought has occurred to me that we could seriously be facing a situation where the supply chain and the economy could actually be interrupted and it wouldn't be so easy to get something done by going to the store to buy materials in a broken economy.

This kind of thinking has been in the back of my mind for some years and so it has been my habit to pick up skills here and there that could be useful in a post apocalyptic world.

So here I am and here we all are together maybe thinking about how to keep things going long enough to make it through the initial shock of events that could lead to all that.

As I'm writhing this, the thought that this kind of thinking could be viewed as morbid by some. On my part, however, this is not the case.

My thoughts on this are simply focused on how to keep my family safe and provide for them in the very best way possible in the event that events unfold in a less than desirable way.

Besides that, developing skills in any area is very gratifying to me.

At this time we are in the process of building skills in areas like hunting, fishing, trapping, tanning, harvesting substances from materials found in nature, primitive electrical generation and storage, small engine maintenance and more.

With all that said, my hope is that I have landed in a community of like minded, intelligent people who are open to sharing information and insight along the lines of hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

very best regards,
    Halliday
    Last edited by halliday; 09-17-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

Super Moderator

Welcome from Alabama.
    halliday likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

I'm confused by the poll. I wasn't aware that Very Likely, Likely, Unlikely and Very Unlikely were survival skills.

I surmise you're really asking "How likely do you think it will be that one will need to employ their survival skills?". I would have to vote "Very Likely" for two reasons. 1. Just look at the Cough-Cough-19 Plandemic and 2. Any serious prepper will be using their skills as much as possible all the time.
    Slippy, halliday and Michael_Js like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I agree with @Back Pack Hack the poll is a bit confusing but that's OK, we like to work with new people and garner a harmonious environment filled with Hippy Girls, School Marms, Mid Wifes's and Quiet Gentlemen Farmers.

The Good Cop

Welcome from Florida.
    Working an entire life in technology and switching gears will be a steep learning curve.
    But, you've come to the right place.

I grew up a city boy, but drove trucks, operated forklifts, and had to make/build/fix things myself because I was always a member of the "working poor."
    For the last 25 years the Wife and I have had our own small farm in a rural area, where I REALLY had to learn some new skills.

There is a vast bank of knowledge here between all the various members. And, we are a friendly lot.
    Some can be a bit "playfull", like @Slippy , but don't mind him. He's actually a great guy. (Don't tell him I said that)
    halliday and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

hello from a fellow idiot in NoDak
    halliday likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Thanks everyone responding!

It's great having real people in the loop and you guys are real. Especially @Slippy ! LOL

The Poll question should read, "How likely do you feel that survival skills will be necessary in the next twelve months?"

Okay. I'm beating around the bush.

May as well just ask the real question ...

"What do you feel the likelihood is that the economy will completely go tits up and the supply chain will be interrupted putting every person alive in our country into a survival situation within the next twelve months or maybe as early as December/January time frame?"
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Welcome from Florida.
    Working an entire life in technology and switching gears will be a steep learning curve.
    But, you've come to the right place.
    That learning curve slapped me pretty hard last weekend.

Spent two days with a friend romping around in the woods about 14 days ago practicing for deer season and came back with bug bites all over my legs. Most likely chiggers ...

Didn't see that coming.

The itching was driving me out of my mind until the day before yesterday.

That experience makes me feel like the obvious things are not the most important things to think about.

One side effect of those bites is that it rocketed me into learning mode.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post

It's great having real people in the loop and you guys are real. Especially @Slippy ! LOL

The Poll question should read, "How likely do you feel that survival skills will be necessary in the next twelve months?"

"What do you feel the likelihood is that the economy will completely go tits up and the supply chain will be interrupted putting every person alive in our country into a survival situation within the next twelve months or maybe as early as December/January time frame?"
    Somebody mention tits?

I'm in.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post

Welcome from Texas.

The likelihood that things are all f----d up? 100%. The likelihood that it will visit your doorstep? Pretty damn good.
    Michael_Js and stevekozak like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links