Getting started again!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Getting started again!

This is a discussion on Getting started again! within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Introduction and Welcome category; Hi everyone! Years ago we were hit with 2 natural disasters back to back that took out our power for over a week each. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Getting started again!

Getting started again!

Hi everyone!

Years ago we were hit with 2 natural disasters back to back that took out our power for over a week each. I was not prepared at all for the first one which is why I started to prepare. When the second one hit, in the dead of winter, I had everything I needed on hand to make it through. By then I was hooked on being prepared for anything and everything.

Slowly I lost my momentum. While out hiking a few weeks ago I realized there was no way I would be able to hike 7 miles into the woods with a 50 lb. backpack and spend 3 days there like I did just a couple of years ago. Then I looked at my emergency supplies...they are all over the place. My food hasn't been rotated in a year, my water bottles have leaked all over the basement floor. etc. etc. Nothing is in order. Even my emergency backpack is missing the most basic things now, like water.

So here I am, ready to focus again. Last time I didn't join a forum. I'm looking forward to reading all of the posts and learning from everyone.

This past weekend I bought 2 7 gallon water containers and a gallon of bleach. My plan is to empty and refill the water and replace the gallon of bleach in the spring and fall when the clocks spring forward and fall back. That will be easy to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    This past weekend I bought 2 7 gallon water containers and a gallon of bleach. My plan is to empty and refill the water and replace the gallon of bleach in the spring and fall when the clocks spring forward and fall back. That will be easy to remember.
    Don't just 'empty' the water out. USE it. That said, properly stored, water should last a lifetime. No real need to 'rotate' it.

Bleach will also last for several years, so there's no need to rotate it either, especially twice a year. Yes, bleach does lose it's potency over time, but it doesn't become useless in 6 months. Another option is to ditch liquid bleach (like Clorox) and go with powdered pool shock instead. Mix the powder up in small batches as needed and a package will last a long time.
    Good morning! As you can see, my assassins have failed again.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Welcome from Alabama.
    Hiker likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Welcome from Wisconsin
    Hiker likes this.

The Good Cop

Welcome from Florida
    Hiker likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Welcome, welcome!!
    Hiker likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Don't just 'empty' the water out. USE it. That said, properly stored, water should last a lifetime. No real need to 'rotate' it.

Bleach will also last for several years, so there's no need to rotate it either, especially twice a year. Yes, bleach does lose it's potency over time, but it doesn't become useless in 6 months. Another option is to ditch liquid bleach (like Clorox) and go with powdered pool shock instead. Mix the powder up in small batches as needed and a package will last a long time.
    Its perfectly OK to take a break from anything every now and then! Enjoy life! Do a little here and there, then switch things up.

In 2018 we didn't rotate our food as consistently as in the past but over the past few weeks we are catching up. I haven't been buying by usual box or three of ammo ever month, but I make up for it with bulk purchases. For some reason I thought we had stopped stocking up on toilet paper until I went to clean and organize the attic and saw that Mrs Slippy had been true to to old habits of an extra pack of TP every month or so. Can't have too much Ass-Wipers what I say!

Well enough of me babbling on, you got me thinking so its time for me to check on the gas, diesel and propane tanks.
    Hiker and StratMaster like this.

Joe

Welcome from Ohio
    StratMaster and Hiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    Hi everyone!

Years ago we were hit with 2 natural disasters back to back that took out our power for over a week each. I was not prepared at all for the first one which is why I started to prepare. When the second one hit, in the dead of winter, I had everything I needed on hand to make it through. By then I was hooked on being prepared for anything and everything.

Slowly I lost my momentum. While out hiking a few weeks ago I realized there was no way I would be able to hike 7 miles into the woods with a 50 lb. backpack and spend 3 days there like I did just a couple of years ago. Then I looked at my emergency supplies...they are all over the place. My food hasn't been rotated in a year, my water bottles have leaked all over the basement floor. etc. etc. Nothing is in order. Even my emergency backpack is missing the most basic things now, like water.

So here I am, ready to focus again. Last time I didn't join a forum. I'm looking forward to reading all of the posts and learning from everyone.

It’s nice to see someone who is comfortable to show their flaws.

I have been lazy on the water front lately too...I need to follow suit and get better situated. I like about 2 months of water on hand for two people and two dogs... currently I don’t have that.
    StratMaster and Hiker like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Welcome from ZMeatChicken USA. AND YES no worries about flaws, only worry is to not correct the flaws
    Hiker likes this.
    Bucket-Back since 2004

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links