Greetings from a wannabe-prepper in England
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Greetings from a wannabe-prepper in England

This is a discussion on Greetings from a wannabe-prepper in England within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Introduction and Welcome category; Greetings! So, hm. I'm not very good at these, so I'll try to keep it short. I'm a complete and utter blank slate at the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gin_and_pete
  • 1 Post By PrepperRecon.com

Thread: Greetings from a wannabe-prepper in England

Red face Greetings from a wannabe-prepper in England

Greetings!

So, hm. I'm not very good at these, so I'll try to keep it short.

I'm a complete and utter blank slate at the moment. I know almost nothing about it. That's not cool to me, so I decided to join to remedy that.

I'm 25. Married. Two children (boy and girl; 4 and almost 6 respectively). I live in England. I live in a council house (basically, it's like "the projects" of some places in America) where I'm not allowed to do anything it seems. I'm explicitly prohibited from owning any kind of livestock. We have a lot of poverty. Lots of crime. Lots of drug usage. People carry knives, and people have guns.

At the same time, this nanny state prohibits absolutely everything as weapons that Americans have the ability to own: guns, knives, knuckle dusters, tazers are a no-no. Apparently, even sand or kevlar gloves are a no-no, but there seems to be some confusion here.

So naturally, I want to move into a nicer place. Hopefully things will look up and my situation will improve so I can. I want to find loopholes so I can have those if possible. Just in case.

In the meantime, I want to learn so I can implement things when I can, maybe due to change of scenery, or even change of country. Who knows what the future brings?

Do I think that things are going to go bad soon? I honestly don't know. I'd like to say no, but with the way the economy is looking, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I've also always had a bit of a soft spot for farming, living without electricity, tribal societies, and post-apocalyptic survivalism. My wife finds it all a bit morbid but I find it amazing. But, being self-sufficient never hurt anyone, just in case.

I guess that's what being prepared is all about.

Soooo, any questions?

The Good Cop

Welcome from Florida. My ancestors came from Scotland, so we are cousins, so to speak.
    My wife and I have a small farm in a rural area, and have been what some call "prepping" pretty much for a couple of decades.
    Remember, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Welcome Constantine, first, there is no wanabe preppers. Just by acknowledging that you need to is a step in the right direction. Next, there is much more to prepping than weapons. I do believe Ireland has much more relaxed weapons laws if you are in the position to move to the next Island over. Here is a great link to a 7 Step Preparedness Plan.
    Nice to have you here.
    "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Dont feel bad ...my husband and I are in the early stages of prepping ourselves. As long as you are out searching for information, learning how to survive and know that you need to take steps toward safe guarding you and your family....you are absolutely on the right track.
    I agree with PrepperRecon in that there is more to prepping than weapons however, i can completely understand how you would feel safer if you had a chance or the choice to arm yourself. People in all areas, not just in the "projects" are becoming more and more violent and lack moral direction. Good luck on your journey to learning and prepping! Wishing you and your family the safety you desire.
    PrepperRecon.com likes this.

Thank you for your welcomes everyone. I like it here already.

PrepperRecon, thanks for the link. Very useful. Regarind step 7, I've been looking for a potential base in the UK I can get to if/when SHTF (unless I'm somewhere else when it happens). Should I go for wilderness or village?

There are advantages to being in a small Village, as a community has a better chance of survival than an individual. The trick is finding like minded people. Have you heard of Fernando Aguirre? He survived the 2001 collapse in Argentina and has written a book about it. He moved his family to Ireland recently. I would seriously look him up to find a bug out location in his vicinity as he has either found like minded people or is in the process of converting them. Here is his Website.
    Constantine likes this.
    "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Welcome from The Jersey Shore!!!

Sponsored Links