53 Years Ago Today
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

53 Years Ago Today

This is a discussion on 53 Years Ago Today within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; On January 2, 1968, in Coral Gables, Florida I raised my right hand and took the Oath of Enlistment for the US Army. Before the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: 53 Years Ago Today

The Good Cop

53 Years Ago Today

On January 2, 1968, in Coral Gables, Florida I raised my right hand and took the Oath of Enlistment for the US Army.
    Before the day ended I was at Fort Jackson, South Carolina Reception Center.
    I served 2 years 9 months and 28 days before being honorably discharged as an E-5.
    Along the way I was decorated twice for my actions, however I was never a hero. But I am very proud to have served with some.
    And damned proud to wear the Red Diamond insignia of the 5th Infantry Division.
    It is on the hat I’m wearing today, in fact.
    And this coming September, I’m taking my daughter to the 100th annual reunion of the Society of the 5th Infantry Division to meet some of the greatest guys in the world. Guys I was willing to die for, and they were willing to die for me. This is something not found in very many places.

As the US Army slogan goes: “I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.”
    It is a title that is earned, never given, can not be bought. And it is mine forever.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    And thank you for your service.. alway and forever.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Thank you for your service!
    BamaDOC and rice paddy daddy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

And it is a good thing you are here to speak of it.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Doesn’t seem like it was that long ago RPD does it?
    rice paddy daddy and BamaDOC like this.
    “ You lying dog face pony soldier”
    JB VP

Welcome home, Brother.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Thank you for your service and welcome home!

Always glad to say "Welcome Home" to a brother in arms.

You were starting . . . I was finishing my last trip on the other side of the world.

4/1/68 I got one of them red USNR ID cards . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Denton, Slippy, BamaDOC and 3 others like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    On January 2, 1968, in Coral Gables, Florida I raised my right hand and took the Oath of Enlistment for the US Army.
    Before the day ended I was at Fort Jackson, South Carolina Reception Center.
    I served 2 years 9 months and 28 days before being honorably discharged as an E-5.
    Along the way I was decorated twice for my actions, however I was never a hero. But I am very proud to have served with some.
    And damned proud to wear the Red Diamond insignia of the 5th Infantry Division.
    It is on the hat I’m wearing today, in fact.
    And this coming September, I’m taking my daughter to the 100th annual reunion of the Society of the 5th Infantry Division to meet some of the greatest guys in the world. Guys I was willing to die for, and they were willing to die for me. This is something not found in very many places.

As the US Army slogan goes: “I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.”
    It is a title that is earned, never given, can not be bought. And it is mine forever.
    We’re proud to have you here!

The Good Cop

To those who thanked me for my service, I will respond the same way someonne says that when they spot my Vietnam Veteran cap:
    "Thank you for being an American worth fighting for."
    Denton, BamaDOC, inceptor and 5 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links