Perspective
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Perspective

This is a discussion on Perspective within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; Perhaps one reason I'm a fairly easy going guy that doesn't get worked up over a lot of stuff boils down to perspective. A guy ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Perspective

The Good Cop

Perspective

Perhaps one reason I'm a fairly easy going guy that doesn't get worked up over a lot of stuff boils down to perspective.
    A guy I was in a VA therapy group for PTSD with said something I'll never forget. "After Vietnam, every day is Christmas."
    I've forgotten his name, I remember he was in the 173rd Airborne.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

What got you through it, RPD...?
    if you knew what I thought the war was all about at the time, when I was a little kid you'd laugh.
    Until my best friend and neighbor's big brother came home in a body bag, I hadn't a clue. You could say my perspective changed after that.
    If there's no second amendment, they'll be no first amendment for very long either.

The Good Cop

Post deleted by RPD
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 11-15-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Much Respect to an Vet that served in Vietnam. I'm a Navy brat, Dad was 21+ years. I remember him being gone as a little kid, he served on flat tops. My Uncle, Dads brother did three tours in country as a gunner on Hueys, got shot down several times; twice in one day. I always thought he was a little crazy as I was growing up, he died several years ago.

RPD, you vets are some tough SOB's. Hats off to ya and many Thanks!!!!

http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c7GqpoM6wU

After few tours in Iraq/Afghanistan part of initial invasion March 19/20 2003 in Iraq as infantryman 2 weeks out of basic/AIT, my perspective is if the time served during all that didn't kill me than I can survive anything except when it's my time it's my time. It's a thrill that can never be matched and believe I'm only alive through luck, supposed to been dead multiple times. Done what I have wanted to in life for 15 years in the service anything after that is just extra to me, I wasn't supposed to made it this far.
    With PTSD I learned pills won't help you, only time and learning how to live again will, you have to adjust your life or it will kill you in the end.
    Last edited by Weldman; 11-15-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Super Moderator

My father grew up on a farm in Northwest Florida along with another nine siblings where he chopped and picked cotton, grew and trucked truckloads of watermelons to Mississippi, among other things. He joined the Army to go to the Korean War. Sure, it wasn't a joy, being in a war, especially in an infantry unit, but got three hot meals a day when possible and he liked the food. He stayed in, went aviation, found himself in Vietnam as a first sergeant in an ASB unit. I remember how disciplined he was before he left. He came back the same man. He retired from the Army after serving 22 years.

He didn't drink or smoke pot, he's never gone to the V.A. for mental therapy and has never joined any veterans groups. He had open heart surgery in 1981. The heart doc said his heart disease was due to years of stress.

He and my mother watch a little news and then they watch Bonanza if there isn't a Braves game on T.V. They still clean their own yard because, I'd rather do it myself then supervise you or anyone else."
    StratMaster, Slippy, Robie and 8 others like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
    After few tours in Iraq/Afghanistan part of initial invasion March 19/20 2003 in Iraq as infantryman 2 weeks out of basic/AIT, my perspective is if the time served during all that didn't kill me than I can survive anything except when it's my time it's my time. It's a thrill that can never be matched and believe I'm only alive through luck, supposed to been dead multiple times. Done what I have wanted to in life for 15 years in the service anything after that is just extra to me, I wasn't supposed to made it this far.
    With PTSD I learned pills won't help you, only time and learning how to live again will, you have to adjust your life or it will kill you in the end.
    Thanks for your service, Weldman. May God bless you so very much.
    If there's no second amendment, they'll be no first amendment for very long either.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Post deleted by RPD
    Sorry. I'm sure it was none of my biz anyway. Just glad you got through and are here now.
    rice paddy daddy and inceptor like this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
    PTSD never goes away. The brain chemistry, how the brain works and processes things, is permanently changed.
    Especially the deep inner cortex that controls the automatic functions. For example, one thing I have the VA calls an "exagerated startle response", especially to sudden unexpected bright flashes of light.
    I have seen MRI's of normal brains and PTSD brains. PTSD is real.

Time, abstinence from any mind altering drug or alcohol, and my faith have given me an inner peace I never had before.
    Slippy, Weldman, Eyeball and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Thanks for your service, Weldman. May God bless you so very much.
    You're welcome and thanks for your support

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    PTSD never goes away. The brain chemistry, how the brain works and processes things, is permanently changed.
    Especially the deep inner cortex that controls the automatic functions. For example, one thing I have the VA calls an "exagerated startle response", especially to sudden unexpected bright flashes of light.
    I have seen MRI's of normal brains and PTSD brains. PTSD is real.

Time, abstinence from any mind altering drug or alcohol, and my faith have given me an inner peace I never had before.
    Yeah I had one of those scans in at Houston VA and seen same thing, part of the brain that is usually cool in temperature in certain area unless startled with adrenaline pumping is always active and hot. It's one of the reasons I left the meds, learned of what you speak of so I found out what triggered mine and moved across the US to learn to live again. Heat sand, stress, loud noises I didn't make or weren't expecting, sudden movements by people and too many people. If I don't have something to do I will slip backwards which makes being rated a percentage for it hard to be on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links