50 Years, And Old Guys.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

50 Years, And Old Guys.

This is a discussion on 50 Years, And Old Guys. within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; A personal anniversary came and went, and I hardly even noticed it. September 27 & 28, 1970, were the days I got back to The ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: 50 Years, And Old Guys.

The Good Cop

50 Years, And Old Guys.

A personal anniversary came and went, and I hardly even noticed it.
    September 27 & 28, 1970, were the days I got back to The World from Vietnam, and got released from active duty.
    50 years ago.

Back then, the Old Guys were WW1 vets.
    Then, the Old Guys became the WW2 vets.
    Now, we are the Old Guys.

There were times I never thought I'd make it home.
    There were several times I wondered if I'd live just one more second.
    And now, I'm one of the Old Guys.
    514 men of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) never got the chance to be Old Guys. They are forever 18, 19, 20.

Each year our ranks get thinner. Being poisoned by Agent Orange defoliant speeds things up for some.

I have absolutely no idea how I have not only lived this long, but am still relatively healthy.
    Only God knows.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Old man.. good Man, blessed man.

Thank you for all you’ve done from a young whippersnapper
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    ...................Each year our ranks get thinner. Being poisoned by Agent Orange defoliant speeds things up for some.

I have absolutely no idea how I have not only lived this long, but am still relatively healthy.
    Only God knows.
    These are the sentiments that sometimes make me sit on the front porch and just look off . . .

I don't really see anything . . . I just look . . . have a talk with the Lord . . . and ponder.

Some day . . . He will answer my pondering . . . but I'm sure it won't be in this ugly world.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Denton, inceptor, Inor and 5 others like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    These are the sentiments that sometimes make me sit on the front porch and just look off . . .

I don't really see anything . . . I just look . . . have a talk with the Lord . . . and ponder.

Some day . . . He will answer my pondering . . . but I'm sure it won't be in this ugly world.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    On my bucket list is a trip to the Airforce Museum in Dayton.
    Not next year, maybe 2022.
    I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee, my Brother. And shake your hand.
    dwight55, Denton, inceptor and 4 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    G.K. Chesterton
    Words my Grandfather was fond of. He fought in Europe during WWII. Him and his buddies would usually follow that up by saying: "There were a lot of us old guys, who learned from those old guys".

Maybe I spent to much time in the tavern with those "Old Guys"
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

My Mother's Dad, my Grandpa, died in 1970. I'm older today than he was when he died. 1970 seems so long ago. But for some reason, other than my Grandpa, I only remember baseball from 1970.

And the country that I love sent young men halfway around the world to a place that most of them didn't care about, to fight for something that they probably didn't understand, only to come home to a place they didn't recognize.

And baseball is all I can remember. Doesn't seem right.
    @rice paddy daddy ,

I, for one, am glad you are here, healthy and am proud to know you.
    BamaDOC, SOCOM42, dwight55 and 6 others like this.

On my bucket list is a trip to the Airforce Museum in Dayton.
    Not next year, maybe 2022.
    I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee, my Brother. And shake your hand.
    I've met Dwight and I've been to the Air Force museum in Dayton.

First on the museum...

Plan on at LEAST 2 full days there, 3 would be better. It is HUGE; way bigger than the 2 Smithsonian air museums in D.C. combined. That was the absolute BEST museum I have ever been to.

Then Dwight...

Dwight is *EXACTLY* the same guy in person as he is here. He and his wife are the nicest people you will ever meet. If you go to his house, make him bake you a strawberry pie. I would literally do crime just to get another piece and I am not much of a dessert guy. Also, his place is really cool, doubly so when you consider that he and Mrs Dwight built their house themselves.

I had a business trip to Dwight's town when we were right in the middle of building our house. That was at the time in our build when I was hurting the worst. The three of sat around for a good while commiserating about building your own house. Every time I would complain about something hurting or not going right on the build, both of them would just look at me and grin, nodding knowingly. They are GREAT GREAT folks!
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Super Moderator

Old guys were my mentors, as well as the older guys (Korea). They were invaluable.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

A personal anniversary came and went, and I hardly even noticed it.
    September 27 & 28, 1970, were the days I got back to The World from Vietnam, and got released from active duty.
    50 years ago.

Back then, the Old Guys were WW1 vets.
    Then, the Old Guys became the WW2 vets.
    Now, we are the Old Guys.

There were times I never thought I'd make it home.
    There were several times I wondered if I'd live just one more second.
    And now, I'm one of the Old Guys.
    514 men of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) never got the chance to be Old Guys. They are forever 18, 19, 20.

Each year our ranks get thinner. Being poisoned by Agent Orange defoliant speeds things up for some.

Only God knows.
    I too am glad you made it home my friend. And welcome home.

Welcome to the Old Farts Club. It's an exclusive club since many have not made it. My brother only made it to 55.

There is a reason God put us here this long. There is still His work to be done. So we wait to go home. This I believe with all my heart. You my friend still have something to do, as do we all.

Thank you RPD, for all you've done here & abroad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links