Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

50 Years, And Old Guys.

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  SOCOM42 
#1 ·
A personal anniversary came and went, and I hardly even noticed it.
September 27 & 28, 1970, were the days I got back to The World from Vietnam, and got released from active duty.
50 years ago.

Back then, the Old Guys were WW1 vets.
Then, the Old Guys became the WW2 vets.
Now, we are the Old Guys.

There were times I never thought I'd make it home.
There were several times I wondered if I'd live just one more second.
And now, I'm one of the Old Guys.
514 men of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) never got the chance to be Old Guys. They are forever 18, 19, 20.

Each year our ranks get thinner. Being poisoned by Agent Orange defoliant speeds things up for some.

I have absolutely no idea how I have not only lived this long, but am still relatively healthy.
Only God knows.

See less See more
#3 ·
...................Each year our ranks get thinner. Being poisoned by Agent Orange defoliant speeds things up for some.

I have absolutely no idea how I have not only lived this long, but am still relatively healthy.
Only God knows.
These are the sentiments that sometimes make me sit on the front porch and just look off . . .

I don't really see anything . . . I just look . . . have a talk with the Lord . . . and ponder.

Some day . . . He will answer my pondering . . . but I'm sure it won't be in this ugly world.

May God bless,
Dwight

#4 ·
On my bucket list is a trip to the Airforce Museum in Dayton.
Not next year, maybe 2022.
I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee, my Brother. And shake your hand.

#5 ·
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
G.K. Chesterton
Words my Grandfather was fond of. He fought in Europe during WWII. Him and his buddies would usually follow that up by saying: "There were a lot of us old guys, who learned from those old guys".

Maybe I spent to much time in the tavern with those "Old Guys" :tango_face_wink:

#6 ·

My Mother's Dad, my Grandpa, died in 1970. I'm older today than he was when he died. 1970 seems so long ago. But for some reason, other than my Grandpa, I only remember baseball from 1970.

And the country that I love sent young men halfway around the world to a place that most of them didn't care about, to fight for something that they probably didn't understand, only to come home to a place they didn't recognize.

And baseball is all I can remember. Doesn't seem right.
@rice paddy daddy,

I, for one, am glad you are here, healthy and am proud to know you.

#9 ·
A personal anniversary came and went, and I hardly even noticed it.
September 27 & 28, 1970, were the days I got back to The World from Vietnam, and got released from active duty.
50 years ago.

Back then, the Old Guys were WW1 vets.
Then, the Old Guys became the WW2 vets.
Now, we are the Old Guys.

There were times I never thought I'd make it home.
There were several times I wondered if I'd live just one more second.
And now, I'm one of the Old Guys.
514 men of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) never got the chance to be Old Guys. They are forever 18, 19, 20.

Each year our ranks get thinner. Being poisoned by Agent Orange defoliant speeds things up for some.

Only God knows.
I too am glad you made it home my friend. And welcome home.

Welcome to the Old Farts Club. It's an exclusive club since many have not made it. My brother only made it to 55.

There is a reason God put us here this long. There is still His work to be done. So we wait to go home. This I believe with all my heart. You my friend still have something to do, as do we all.

#14 · (Edited)
Had a friend who was a loadmaster on a C-119 in 1970, got out in May of 1971 after a 4 year hitch.

The "cargo" they hauled was agent orange over the jungles.

By the end of 1972 he was dead from orange induced cancer, left a wife and baby.

By the end of 1973 the entire crew was dead from the same cause.

Another who will forever remain in their 20's to me.

Another friend who's serial number was one digit less than mine(enlisted the same day) did a tour in country,

Came back on rotation, volunteered for another tour, first day back in the field he stepped on a land mine, his name is on the wall.

He was a lifer, an E-7 did not have to go back out, but did, he left a wife and three kids.

The same communist propaganda methods that had us pull out of Nam, are destroying this country, right now, and has been since the 60's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.