Vietnam Gun Trucks
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Vietnam Gun Trucks

This is a discussion on Vietnam Gun Trucks within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Vietnam Gun Trucks

The Good Cop

Vietnam Gun Trucks

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Great topic RPD. I have read about these a lot, will have to watch your link after I post.

I like the old trucks, a friend had a tank retriever/wrecker, and another w/dump body.

From what I remember reading they got quad 50 BMGs from the navy for some.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Up north, running the roads to supply the outposts along the DMZ, a field modifaction was to take a Quad 50, which was a WW2 Army anti aircraft weapon, and mount the turret on the back of a 5 Ton.
    They were originallly mounted on a little trailer during WW2.

A very awesome weapon, indeed.

The Good Cop

Thanks. There were several Quad 50's in there.
    Youtube has a few vids of them, but I couldn't get the url's to work.
    I suppose a "copy and paste" would do it, but that's something I just never learned.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Thanks. There were several Quad 50's in there.
    Youtube has a few vids of them, but I couldn't get the url's to work.
    I suppose a "copy and paste" would do it, but that's something I just never learned.
    This one might work?

The Smithsonian Channel had a special on gun trucks in Viet Nam a couple years ago. Pretty interesting.
    These veterans and trucks set the stage for the trucks/gun trucks that we used in Iraq doing convoy security. We never had any quad 50's (wish we did), but we had different configurations. These were mostly M925 Five tons.

Vietnam Gun Trucks-m923_44.jpg

These had improvised armored bed (usually a double layered armored bed box with sand bags inside) and having either dual 5.56 saws, dual M240 - 7.62x51s or a M2 on a gun ring on the truck cab and a saw or M240 in the bed.
    We, like veterans in Viet Nam built these truck armaments with the help of our mechanics. No formal support from those above or the Army.

These were a huge improvement over the shitty M818's that we had been saddled with at the start.

Vietnam Gun Trucks-248436983.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    The Smithsonian Channel had a special on gun trucks in Viet Nam a couple years ago. Pretty interesting.
    These veterans and trucks set the stage for the trucks/gun trucks that we used in Iraq doing convoy security. We never had any quad 50's (wish we did), but we had different configurations. These were mostly M925 Five tons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m923_44.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	107433

These had improvised armored bed (usually a double layered armored bed box with sand bags inside) and having either dual 5.56 saws, dual M240 - 7.62x51s or a M2 on a gun ring on the truck cab and a saw or M240 in the bed.
    We, like veterans in Viet Nam built these truck armaments with the help of our mechanics. No formal support from those above or the Army.

These were a huge improvement over the shitty M818's that we had been saddled with at the start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	248436983.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	744.2 KB 
ID:	107435
    It's sad that the lessons learned and solutions found in vietnam were ignored and dismissed by subsequent army leaders. These gun trucks should have been vastly improved by the time of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and readily available.

It's another sad commentary that those in the line of fire, had to resort to improvised vehicles again, just like vietnam. The US soldier has more insight into what is needed than the Pentagon pencil pushers, who cost the lives of many good men.

Those soldiers and mechanics should be placed in charge of design and building of adequate trucks to protect our soldiers.

I'd be interested to learn what else you guys came up with? If you had hard targets to contend with, I wonder if 1 truck with a 20mm M-61A1 Gatling Gun would have been of use?

Thanks for your service
    Michael_Js and inceptor like this.

A slide show

rice paddy daddy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links