Fortunate Son
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fortunate Son

This is a discussion on Fortunate Son within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; There were two songs that every Vietnam Veteran identified with. One was "We Gotta Get Out Of this Place" by the Animals. And the other ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By rice paddy daddy
  • 1 Post By Sasquatch
  • 2 Post By Old SF Guy
  • 1 Post By rice paddy daddy

Thread: Fortunate Son

The Good Cop

Fortunate Son

There were two songs that every Vietnam Veteran identified with.
    One was "We Gotta Get Out Of this Place" by the Animals.

And the other was this one by CCR. While the rich boys hid in college behind draft deferments, or hid behind doctor's notes, or ran away to Canada, many of us stood up, raised our right hands, and did what our country asked of us.
    And I have no regrets.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Always liked that song. When I got older and understood the lyrics I really liked the song.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Banned

I appreciate your service, and as i have said before...The plight of the Vietnam Vet is what drew me into service and I never expected anything more for it. Thanks to Vietnam Vets we will never see another mass scale anti soldier/marine movement in this country in conflicts with foreign entities. I and others where at least welcomed home by those who loved us....and the days of individual rotations came to an end.
    rice paddy daddy and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

One of my most treasured possessions is a copy of the book "Fortunate Son" written by Lou Puller, Chesty Puller's son.
    It is his story of growing up as the son of a Marine Corps legend, his own service as a Marine in Vietnam, and the aftermath of becoming a paraplegic due to wounds in combat.
    I met him through Vietnam Veterans of America, and he personally inscribed his book to me, thanking me for my service.
    He committed suicide a few years later.

Rest In Peace, Lou. We'll see each other again, someday.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Excellent video that depicts a debt we owe that can never be fully paid.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Sponsored Links