US Marine veteran.....NO MATTER WHAT!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on US Marine veteran.....NO MATTER WHAT! within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; New member here....served in the USMC from 1968 to 1972. I had just turned 17 years old, and wanted to be a Marine more than ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: US Marine veteran.....NO MATTER WHAT!

New member here....served in the USMC from 1968 to 1972. I had just turned 17 years old, and wanted to be a Marine more than anything else I could think of, but the recruiters kept telling me that I would "probably" have to wait another year until I turned 18. They processed me through anyway, and I was sent to the Oakland, CA induction center for a special enlistment interview. I explained to the Major that I was old enough to know that I wanted to serve my country as a US Marine. After some discussion, I received his approval and was on my way to MCRD San Diego. After completing Basic training, schools Battalion, and I.T.R. I was still only 17, and they would not send me to Nam until I turned 18. As a result, I was sent to Camp Pendleton, and never did deploy to Nam. The rest of my enlistment was spent as a truck driver (3500) supporting the Corps as a Vietnam "Era" Marine. Then and even now, I felt like SOME of my fellow Marines treated me differently because I hadn't served "in country". This last Nov 10th, while attending a USMC birthday event, I had one Marine tell me that I was only a partial Marine because I hadn't "stomped the jungle". Really? I told him that I was sorry that he had to carry that burden of thought against a fellow Marine....

I am a Marine NO MATTER WHAT! Yes, my ribbon count may be smaller than some, but at 17 years old my commitment to God, Country, and Corps was more than most. Semper Fidelis is in the heart and blood, no matter where or how served.

I have a different tale to tell. When I was 21 I received a draft notice and passed my physical. I was instructed to expect a call-up within a few weeks.

I was prepared to go but not thrilled about it. I was married and had a child. Then they had the first lottery drawing a week later. I received a high call-up number but thought I was still “drafted”. After four weeks of being in limbo I called and the lady at the Draft Board said, “Honey, you’re home free.”

Thirty-five years later my Mother asked me to help a man she knew with a legal and financial problem.
    She said he was struggling in life and was broke. I said I would help him anyway I could for free.

We met. Heard all about his Vietnam tour, marriages, life etc. His problem was he was ready to file for Social Security and was afraid to. He had been a Jack Leg carpenter and had not filed a tax return in about six years. He had no records. He was terrified that if he applied for SSI the IRS would come get him. He was trapped.

I told him I would take care of the problem. I met him again in a few days with three years worth of tax returns (IRS generally can only go back that far). Oddly enough he owed no taxes or late penalties. When he offered to pay me I told him “Nothing was due. As far as I was concerned, he took my place in Vietnam.” He actually cried in the café!

By the way, to this day I have never played a lottery; I already won the grand prize.

Welcome Aboard Reconone. We all have to play the cards we were dealt.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 12-26-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Slippy, bigwheel and Joe like this.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Welcome from Alabama, Marine.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Welcome, welcome!1
    Let us use the time as best we may.

The Good Cop

My unit in Vietnam, the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), US Army, was on loan to the Marine Corps and came under Command and Control of the 3rd Marine Division.
    We operated with them along the DMZ, from Khe Sahn to the South China Sea.

As a decorated combat veteran, I consider you every bit my Brother, Reconone.
    You stood up, raised your right hand, and offered to give your life for our country. That is Honor, my friend.
    In the end, the Corps decided not to send you to Nam.

Of the 9 million troops that served in the Vietnam Era, only 2.7 actually served IN Vietnam. This number comes from the VA itself.
    Of those 2.7 million, only 850,000 of us are left, again according to the VA.

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. You didn’t run, you didn’t hide, you didn’t dodge the draft.
    Those that did have to go through life wondering about their manhood. And I personally have no use for them.
    But I’d buy you a cup of coffee and BS with you any day.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Howdy from Houston. You stepped forward when asked while some where taking deferments and running to Canada. I never served, but in my humble estimation, that makes you a marine. You go where they tell you.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 12-26-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Howdy from Houston. You stepped forward when asked when some where taking deferments and running to Canada. I never served, but in my humble estimation that makes you a marine. You go where they tell you.
    Absolutely correct. You go where they send you.
    Personally, I volunteered for Vietnam to get the heck out of Fort Carson, Colorado, aka “The Armpit Of The Army “.
    If I hadn’t, who knows? I might have served out my 3 years there or been sent somewhere else.

I’m a member of Vietnam Veterans of America, have been since 1982. Since the beginning, our organization has been open for membership to anyone who served between 1964 and 1975 on active duty for other than training purposes.
    And that is the way it should be. US, Germany, Korea, Vietnam, anywhere on land or at sea. We are ALL Brothers and Sisters.
    My avatar is the logo of VVA. I love that organization more than VFW or American Legion.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 12-26-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    Prepared One and MountainGirl like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The nearest I ever got to shooting (between us and them) was about a mile. I heard it but never saw it

I sort of regret not being involved in combat but I am also glad.

I did 21 years and during that time... I went every where i was sent and never complained, I never tried to get out of any assignment and I did everything I was asked to do plus lots of extra.

I respect those that have combat badges or ribbons but they are no more a Marine or a Soldier then I am

again, I went everywhere and did everything I was asked to do..PERIOD
    Be a Berean

Listen up Marine and listen well;

You know this better than I but from what I know the Marine Corp Chain of Command tells an enlisted marine what to do, not the other way around, right? (Insert Army, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard, but y'all get my drift)

I know it may be hard, but let that shit go. People think they have control over waaaay too much and it ends up wearing them down from the mind and through the soul.

If there is one thing I have learned in life, you are not in control of a whole helluva lot of shit. BUT, you are in control of your Actions, Thoughts and Attitude.

So welcome to the forums and looking forward to hearing more from you.

Respectfully,

Your friend, Slippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reconone View Post
    New member here....served in the USMC from 1968 to 1972. I had just turned 17 years old, and wanted to be a Marine more than anything else I could think of, but the recruiters kept telling me that I would "probably" have to wait another year until I turned 18. They processed me through anyway, and I was sent to the Oakland, CA induction center for a special enlistment interview. I explained to the Major that I was old enough to know that I wanted to serve my country as a US Marine. After some discussion, I received his approval and was on my way to MCRD San Diego. After completing Basic training, schools Battalion, and I.T.R. I was still only 17, and they would not send me to Nam until I turned 18. As a result, I was sent to Camp Pendleton, and never did deploy to Nam. The rest of my enlistment was spent as a truck driver (3500) supporting the Corps as a Vietnam "Era" Marine. Then and even now, I felt like SOME of my fellow Marines treated me differently because I hadn't served "in country". This last Nov 10th, while attending a USMC birthday event, I had one Marine tell me that I was only a partial Marine because I hadn't "stomped the jungle". Really? I told him that I was sorry that he had to carry that burden of thought against a fellow Marine....

I am a Marine NO MATTER WHAT! Yes, my ribbon count may be smaller than some, but at 17 years old my commitment to God, Country, and Corps was more than most. Semper Fidelis is in the heart and blood, no matter where or how served.

Welcome.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links