What is a Veteran?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What is a Veteran?

This is a discussion on What is a Veteran? within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; I served 5 years Regular Navy and deployed twice to the US 6th fleet in the Eastern Mediterranean on an amphibious assault ship. (LPH-2). I ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: What is a Veteran?

What is a Veteran?

I served 5 years Regular Navy and deployed twice to the US 6th fleet in the Eastern Mediterranean on an amphibious assault ship. (LPH-2). I served from 1985-1989 then 2 years Inactive ready reserve before receiving my honorable discharge in 1992.

Here, then, is what gets stuck in my craw: Most of the sailors with whom I served (Facebook friends) are touting their veteran status. There are many pictures of them in Navy T shirts, Veteran ball caps and all of the veteran regalia they can adorn themselves in. The issue is, they were all kicked out with bad conduct discharges, other than honorable discharges and even a dishonorable discharge for criminal behavior. I just let it go, but man does it piss me off! That honorable discharge is no easy thing to earn. The good conduct medal, the letters of commendation etc. not a gimmee. WTF? Should I just ignore it or say........Let us all post our Honorable discharge certificates and our lapel pins we were given?

Many of them smoked dope because they could'nt hang. Very frustrating.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Super Moderator

I say take the high road. But that doesn't mean not posting yours and adding a caption that says something like "Proud of MY service, what about you?". I think they'll get the idea you're calling them on their bs.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

I gave up a long time ago giving a tinker's damn about what others do. It's their life... let them live it. Stop worrying about what you think of them and care more about what they think of you.
    Mule13, SGG and csi-tech like this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Life long losers. Those of us that know can tell a poser a mile away. You have nothing to prove, don't stoop to their level.

Interesting subject that got me to thinking.

There are suspicions that many gangs (Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings, MS-13, etc) encourage members to join and serve in the military for the weapons and warfare training to become a "better" gang member once they leave the military.

Say a gang members serves in the military then takes his training to the streets against Law Enforcement Officials to wreak havoc, sell drugs, commit crimes, import illegals, rape, murder, steal etc etc. Should this person be "rewarded" with Veteran status?

https://greatamericanoutdoors.com/20...-u-s-military/
    https://www.gangenforcement.com/gang...-military.html
    https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ga...litary-3354199
    csi-tech likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I served 5 years Regular Navy and deployed twice to the US 6th fleet in the Eastern Mediterranean on an amphibious assault ship. (LPH-2). I served from 1985-1989 then 2 years Inactive ready reserve before receiving my honorable discharge in 1992.

Here, then, is what gets stuck in my craw: Most of the sailors with whom I served (Facebook friends) are touting their veteran status. There are many pictures of them in Navy T shirts, Veteran ball caps and all of the veteran regalia they can adorn themselves in. The issue is, they were all kicked out with bad conduct discharges, other than honorable discharges and even a dishonorable discharge for criminal behavior. I just let it go, but man does it piss me off! That honorable discharge is no easy thing to earn. The good conduct medal, the letters of commendation etc. not a gimmee. WTF? Should I just ignore it or say........Let us all post our Honorable discharge certificates and our lapel pins we were given?

Kinda like a certain poser I know.

Never got closer to Vietnam than Germany, . . . heard he was given a convenience of the military discharge, . . . as a private, . . .

He parades all the Vietnam regalia he can pile on, . . . uses the excuse "I'm a Vietnam Era" veteran.

Makes me sick, . . . but I just take the high road, . . . knowing my 18 years were honorable, left as an E7, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post

did they have 3 years of good service then got kicked out.. or 6 months??

I knew a Marine, had 6 years of great service and was up for E-5. His grandmother (who raised him) passed away and he went home for the funeral. The day he came back the duty NCO for who knows what reason decided to screw with the guy because he had been on "VACATION".. The guy said screw it and left.. he was gone for over 6 months... end up getting discharged

is he a veteran

everybody has a story

one thing I hear a lot... "If I had stayed in" or "I would be retired now".. or the big one I "Thought" about joining

I did 21 years, went every place I was told to go and did what I was told to do.. closest I ever got to shooting was about 1 mile (I heard it but could not see it). I hold in high regard those that exchanged fire with people trying to kill them... however the veteran status is the same for all folks.... why because we were willing...

and for some folks they were willing but could not complete a contract...

just me rambling
    Be a Berean

"Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged. However, with regard to applicable benefits, other considerations are important and will be covered in later sections."

Then you have Public law M21-1, Part III, Subpart iii, 2.K.3.
    There are more that cover services and benefits a person may or may not be entitled do as a result of their veteran status.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Being in Madison, the entire town hated veterans, be they from Vietnam or Idaho.

But here's my take on this. The war is over. If you want to see what that war hath wrought, come with me to the Middleton VA Hospital, and we'll deliver some lunch and personal letters to the veterans who can still stand up.

Taking a scared, clueless veteran to OPT/PT therapy is quite another facet. Speaking of that, it's been way too long since I did any volunteer work there. A few times I went to their little chapel by the side door, knelt down and cried until the tears stopped...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Interesting subject that got me to thinking.

There are suspicions that many gangs (Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings, MS-13, etc) encourage members to join and serve in the military for the weapons and warfare training to become a "better" gang member once they leave the military.

Say a gang members serves in the military then takes his training to the streets against Law Enforcement Officials to wreak havoc, sell drugs, commit crimes, import illegals, rape, murder, steal etc etc. Should this person be "rewarded" with Veteran status?

https://greatamericanoutdoors.com/20...-u-s-military/
    https://www.gangenforcement.com/gang...-military.html
    https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ga...litary-3354199
    There is only one reward for them...(the criminal types only)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is a Veteran?-gettyimages-568861141-612x612.jpg  

Last edited by watcher; 11-13-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Agure Aut Mori

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links