What is a Veteran? - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What is a Veteran?

This is a discussion on What is a Veteran? within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by csi-tech I served 5 years Regular Navy and deployed twice to the US 6th fleet in the Eastern Mediterranean on an amphibious ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: What is a Veteran?

  1. #21
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Pete Florida
    Posts
    2,764
    Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I served 5 years Regular Navy and deployed twice to the US 6th fleet in the Eastern Mediterranean on an amphibious assault ship. (LPH-2). I served from 1985-1989 then 2 years Inactive ready reserve before receiving my honorable discharge in 1992.

    Here, then, is what gets stuck in my craw: Most of the sailors with whom I served (Facebook friends) are touting their veteran status. There are many pictures of them in Navy T shirts, Veteran ball caps and all of the veteran regalia they can adorn themselves in. The issue is, they were all kicked out with bad conduct discharges, other than honorable discharges and even a dishonorable discharge for criminal behavior. I just let it go, but man does it piss me off! That honorable discharge is no easy thing to earn. The good conduct medal, the letters of commendation etc. not a gimmee. WTF? Should I just ignore it or say........Let us all post our Honorable discharge certificates and our lapel pins we were given?

    Many of them smoked dope because they could'nt hang. Very frustrating.
    Just let it wash off, and move on with life, I am a vet with 2 active terms, and a 6 year stint in the NG. I don't wear any regalia, such as hats or t-shirts with Airborne on them, because it is counter-productive to me.
    People would probably think that I was a poser anyway; and then I would have to knock some teeth out.

    I don't care if people don't know that I am a vet. What I do is fly an American flag on my front porch, with some Trump banners too. I wear a MAGA hat, or a boonie hat, or a Georgia football hat, because my Army days are over.

    I try my best to be the best American citizen that I can be and that is my service to country now. I will wear some camo though, but my only BDU camo is an Army field jacket.
    The rest is Mossy Oak and Chinese knock off stuff; and that works for me.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 11-14-2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: I went blah, blah, blah; and I wrote too much, so I had to trim it down.
    csi-tech and Slippy like this.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

  2. #22
    The Good Cop


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. Georgia / N.E. Florida
    Posts
    12,058
    I wear a Vietnam veteran cap, or a 5th Infantry Division cap mainly as a tool to meet other vets and recruit them for membership in the VSO's I belong to. It's always great to meet another Nam vet.

    Besides, I'm proud of my service. I volunteered when so many others ran and hid from the draft.
    Less than 10% of men my age served in Vietnam.
    Many, many became "professional" college students to maintain a Student Deferment. Many of these people became lawyers, politicians, professors, and in my opinion steered this country in the wrong direction.
    Many, many got letters from their doctors for "medical conditions" that may or may not have been real. Trump is an example.

    Those who did not have rich parents to stay in college or buy a doctors excuse ran away to Canada.
    And don't even get me started on Ted Nugent dodging the draft.

    Then, there were young men who believed in patriotism and their country, and either showed up for induction when they got the notice, or volunteered as I did.

    2.5 million men and women actually served IN Vietnam. Of those, the VA estimates there are 850,000 of us left.

    I'm DAMN PROUD to be a Vietnam Veteran.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

  3. #23
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    18,141
    My old Dad served in the Army.

    Growing up he didn't mention his time in the Army hardly ever. I don't even know the dates of his service but it was the early 1950's. I have no idea if he saw combat or anything. Mom cannot or will not talk about his Army years except for his fondness for his favorite base, Heidelberg Germany. Other than Heidelberg, I had no idea what places he went or where he was stationed, or were he did basic or anything.

    Many many years later, I had the opportunity to visit Germany and he encouraged me, no he almost "demanded" that I visit Heidelberg.

    After I visited Heidelberg, he talked to me a couple of times about how much he enjoyed Heidelberg and Germany. It was more than fondness, it was almost joy. He loved the Hot Rod Muscle cars from the late 1940's and 1950's but when he returned from Germany, he brought with him a Volkswagen.

    I'd like to think he smuggled it back but regardless, it wasn't the car that you'd associate my Dad with...55, 57 Chevy's and his last muscle car a 69 Camaro. Other than pictures with me and my sister as babies near the VW, I don't remember it.

    When he did try and talk to me about things, I was a young man with my own life, wife, kids job etc and he was an old man, sick with cancer...shame on me, I didn't really listen like I should.

    He always attended the local Veteran's Day parades and made it a point to travel and attend Veteran's Days events at our son's schools when they had a Veterans Day Celebration. Funny, he always wore a suit and tie to the kids schools.

    What is a Veteran?-img_1099.jpg
    Last edited by Slippy; 11-14-2019 at 07:13 PM.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Columbia, Tennessee
    Posts
    5,170
    I guess I shouldn't worry much about it. Last night we all signed on to a huge FB messenger conversation. There were about 12 of my shipmates who I spoke with. Good times. I guess it's none of my concern who made it to the finish line and received a good conduct medal and an honorable discharge.........It was just me and one other sailor though. Everyone else smoked weed and got the boot. OK, maybe I do care a little.
    Slippy, rice paddy daddy and Annie like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

  6. #25
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Can someone with a General Discharge receive veteran benefits?
    Nope, but who am I to ruin his hopes. usually a general can be upgraded to an honorable after some period of time.

  7. #26
    The Good Cop


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. Georgia / N.E. Florida
    Posts
    12,058
    Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I guess I shouldn't worry much about it. Last night we all signed on to a huge FB messenger conversation. There were about 12 of my shipmates who I spoke with. Good times. I guess it's none of my concern who made it to the finish line and received a good conduct medal and an honorable discharge.........It was just me and one other sailor though. Everyone else smoked weed and got the boot. OK, maybe I do care a little.
    A lot of us in Nam smoked weed too, but the officers looked the other way as long as we did our duty.
    If they busted everyone, there wouldn't have been any one left to fight their little war.

    I don't know how it was in the big rear areas, though. Da Nang, Cam Rahn Bay, places like that. Guys probably did get busted back there.

    The farther away you got from the generals, and the closer you got to the enemy, the rules became much more relaxed.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

  8. #27
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Way up the Shannon
    Posts
    3,492
    A very dear and close friend of our family is a VA suicide prevention coordinator. She has heard a gun go off on the phone and it fall to the floor. She struggles with that one I know but in 12 years at the VA in this role she has lost only two Veterens. Talk to her and she will never tell you about those two. She will tell you:

    About the transvestites that demand their undivided attention for not getting enough service connection,
    The drug abuser that gambles his rent away and wants to know why the VA won’t pay for it,
    The guy wanting more money out of the VA because his tinder girl friend is blackmailing him for $3k,

    One of her favorites is the guy who runs off to Vegas and will kill himself if the VA doesn’t pay for his Uber ride home to SF. That one is apparently a monthly occurrence.

    My dad was in WWII, Brother in Vietnam and I know many of their friends great Veterans who deserve everything we can give them. There is a very dark group though draining our society with little actual service to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I served 5 years Regular Navy and deployed twice to the US 6th fleet in the Eastern Mediterranean on an amphibious assault ship. (LPH-2). I served from 1985-1989 then 2 years Inactive ready reserve before receiving my honorable discharge in 1992.

    Here, then, is what gets stuck in my craw: Most of the sailors with whom I served (Facebook friends) are touting their veteran status. There are many pictures of them in Navy T shirts, Veteran ball caps and all of the veteran regalia they can adorn themselves in. The issue is, they were all kicked out with bad conduct discharges, other than honorable discharges and even a dishonorable discharge for criminal behavior. I just let it go, but man does it piss me off! That honorable discharge is no easy thing to earn. The good conduct medal, the letters of commendation etc. not a gimmee. WTF? Should I just ignore it or say........Let us all post our Honorable discharge certificates and our lapel pins we were given?

    Many of them smoked dope because they could'nt hang. Very frustrating.

  9. #28
    The Good Cop


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. Georgia / N.E. Florida
    Posts
    12,058
    Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    A very dear and close friend of our family is a VA suicide prevention coordinator. She has heard a gun go off on the phone and it fall to the floor. She struggles with that one I know but in 12 years at the VA in this role she has lost only two Veterens. Talk to her and she will never tell you about those two. She will tell you:

    About the transvestites that demand their undivided attention for not getting enough service connection,
    The drug abuser that gambles his rent away and wants to know why the VA won’t pay for it,
    The guy wanting more money out of the VA because his tinder girl friend is blackmailing him for $3k,

    One of her favorites is the guy who runs off to Vegas and will kill himself if the VA doesn’t pay for his Uber ride home to SF. That one is apparently a monthly occurrence.

    My dad was in WWII, Brother in Vietnam and I know many of their friends great Veterans who deserve everything we can give them. There is a very dark group though draining our society with little actual service to it.
    My Vet Center counselor retired after one of my best friends, a Marine tanker I knew for 20 years and his patient, committed suicide. The counselor just had enough.

    I personally know several vets who are milking the heck out of the system. One, a female, joined in '73 and never left the states, but through what she learned as an American Legion Service Officer is now collecting 100% disability.
    While guys dying from Agent Orange get nothing because they die before their cases get approved. "Delay, deny, until they die".
    stowlin likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

  10. #29
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,477
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    My Vet Center counselor retired after one of my best friends, a Marine tanker I knew for 20 years and his patient, committed suicide. The counselor just had enough.

    I personally know several vets who are milking the heck out of the system. One, a female, joined in '73 and never left the states, but through what she learned as an American Legion Service Officer is now collecting 100% disability.
    While guys dying from Agent Orange get nothing because they die before their cases get approved. "Delay, deny, until they die".
    Sorry about your friend, RPD. May his soul rest in peace.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

  11. #30
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,477
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    A lot of us in Nam smoked weed too, but the officers looked the other way as long as we did our duty.
    If they busted everyone, there wouldn't have been any one left to fight their little war.

    I don't know how it was in the big rear areas, though. Da Nang, Cam Rahn Bay, places like that. Guys probably did get busted back there.

    The farther away you got from the generals, and the closer you got to the enemy, the rules became much more relaxed.
    I once saw a documentary where the guys were taking hits from the barrel of a rifle.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top