Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  rice paddy daddy 
#1 ·
Key results(of the findings in the report) include the following:
• The number of Veteran suicides exceeded 6,000 each year from 2008 to 2017.
• Among U.S. adults, the average number of suicides per day rose from 86.6 in 2005 to 124.4 in 2017. These numbers
included 15.9 Veteran suicides per day in 2005 and 16.8 in 2017.
• In 2017, the suicide rate for Veterans was 1.5 times the rate for non-Veteran adults, after adjusting for population
differences in age and sex.
• Firearms were the method of suicide in 70.7% of male Veteran suicide deaths and 43.2% of female Veteran suicide
deaths in 2017.
• In addition to the aforementioned Veteran suicides, there were 919 suicides among never federally activated former
National Guard and Reserve members in 2017, an average 2.5 suicide deaths per day.
https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/doc...eran_Suicide_Prevention_Annual_Report_508.pdf

The kids are trained up and then thrown into bad scenes. They then come home, outprocess and then enter a world without camaraderie and others watching their backs. Unless they are fortunate enough to live in an area with a high veteran population, they have nobody that they can talk to who has a clue about how to talk to them.

Not everyone is equipped for service, but they don't learn that until they are home.

People will be thanking them for their service, today. Restaurants will give them free meals. Everyone gets to feel good, but tomorrow will another day for them. I hope all of them are around for Veterans Day, 2020.

#2 ·
I would say Vets have a much better avenue to get help than what they used to.. Allot of people do reach out prior to and before you get out now.
But. Many are stubborn and some just dont want to bother people...
But, remember, if you know a Vet, a civilian that served as a contractor over in the box or anywhere, reach out, smile, offer a cup of joe or coffee.

#3 ·
I would say Vets have a much better avenue to get help than what they used to.. Allot of people do reach out prior to and before you get out now.
But. Many are stubborn and some just don't want to bother people...
But, remember, if you know a Vet, a civilian that served as a contractor over in the box or anywhere, reach out, smile, offer a cup of joe or coffee.
You are right about the guys having it better today, . . . I came home just after Tet '68, . . . and with the "welcome" home I got, . . . sometimes it was just some sort of wonder that I didn't go off on one or two of em and toss em off a bridge to see if they would bounce when they hit the water.

My family and my girlfriend were the things that helped me out the most, . . . not sure where I would have been without them.

Today, . . . we had a "county" veteran's assembly, . . . over 200 showed up for free breakfast for them and one sig other, . . . there were awards given, . . . a short speech from a 9/11 USMC respondent, . . . and a sort of comedy skit featuring Johnny Carson, . . . interviewing Gen. "Stormin" Norman Schwartzkopf, . . . with Ed McMahon and Doc Severensen, . . .

Altogether, . . . it was a fun 3 hours for all who came out and stayed for the whole program.

There was nothing at all like that in '68........

May God bless,
Dwight

#4 ·
I had the barrel of my M1 Garand in my mouth with my thumb on the trigger in 1988.
God is the only reason I am still here.

All the book smart, never served, PTSD counselors in the world can not help a combat vet like another combat vet can.

#5 ·
Heck; he ain't even got to be a combat vet to help a combat vet hold his shit together. He just needs to be empathetic while not being weak. Understand weakness without accepting excuses for them. Don't be a friend but a brother.

I'm sure glad your thumb didn't twitch. The world would have been a worse place. Because of you, people who were breaking the bonds of alcohol would still be enslaved or dead. They thank you and I thank you, too.

#14 ·
Every Vet who served has my upmost respect. Some never explain why they have a hard time sleeping, or adjusting to society.
I once explained to my daughter why some Veterans have a hard time adjusting, while were at the range shooting.
I said, imagine this loud rifle going off over and over for six months at various, times, night and day, and bullets coming back at you..
Thats what some had to endure.
Some had depth charges dropped on them, hint hint.
Some had anti aircraft rounds shot at their airplanes.
Some had camps bombed daily.
Some flew drones from the USA, and saw what damage they were doing via cameras.
Every Vet has a weakness. Every Vet doesnt see combat, but every Vet signed a Will prior to being deployed to the unknown task at hand.

Reactions: Denton and dwight55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.