This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; Key results(of the findings in the report) include the following: • The number of Veteran suicides exceeded 6,000 each year from 2008 to 2017. • ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans

Super Moderator

Key results(of the findings in the report) include the following:
    • The number of Veteran suicides exceeded 6,000 each year from 2008 to 2017.
    • Among U.S. adults, the average number of suicides per day rose from 86.6 in 2005 to 124.4 in 2017. These numbers
    included 15.9 Veteran suicides per day in 2005 and 16.8 in 2017.
    • In 2017, the suicide rate for Veterans was 1.5 times the rate for non-Veteran adults, after adjusting for population
    differences in age and sex.
    • Firearms were the method of suicide in 70.7% of male Veteran suicide deaths and 43.2% of female Veteran suicide
    deaths in 2017.
    • In addition to the aforementioned Veteran suicides, there were 919 suicides among never federally activated former
    National Guard and Reserve members in 2017, an average 2.5 suicide deaths per day.
    https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/docs...Report_508.pdf

The kids are trained up and then thrown into bad scenes. They then come home, outprocess and then enter a world without camaraderie and others watching their backs. Unless they are fortunate enough to live in an area with a high veteran population, they have nobody that they can talk to who has a clue about how to talk to them.

Not everyone is equipped for service, but they don't learn that until they are home.

People will be thanking them for their service, today. Restaurants will give them free meals. Everyone gets to feel good, but tomorrow will another day for them. I hope all of them are around for Veterans Day, 2020.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

I would say Vets have a much better avenue to get help than what they used to.. Allot of people do reach out prior to and before you get out now.
    But. Many are stubborn and some just dont want to bother people...
    But, remember, if you know a Vet, a civilian that served as a contractor over in the box or anywhere, reach out, smile, offer a cup of joe or coffee.
    Denton, dwight55 and Annie like this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    I would say Vets have a much better avenue to get help than what they used to.. Allot of people do reach out prior to and before you get out now.
    But. Many are stubborn and some just don't want to bother people...
    But, remember, if you know a Vet, a civilian that served as a contractor over in the box or anywhere, reach out, smile, offer a cup of joe or coffee.
    You are right about the guys having it better today, . . . I came home just after Tet '68, . . . and with the "welcome" home I got, . . . sometimes it was just some sort of wonder that I didn't go off on one or two of em and toss em off a bridge to see if they would bounce when they hit the water.

My family and my girlfriend were the things that helped me out the most, . . . not sure where I would have been without them.

Today, . . . we had a "county" veteran's assembly, . . . over 200 showed up for free breakfast for them and one sig other, . . . there were awards given, . . . a short speech from a 9/11 USMC respondent, . . . and a sort of comedy skit featuring Johnny Carson, . . . interviewing Gen. "Stormin" Norman Schwartzkopf, . . . with Ed McMahon and Doc Severensen, . . .

Altogether, . . . it was a fun 3 hours for all who came out and stayed for the whole program.

There was nothing at all like that in '68........

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Steve40th, Denton, Inor and 3 others like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

I had the barrel of my M1 Garand in my mouth with my thumb on the trigger in 1988.
    God is the only reason I am still here.

All the book smart, never served, PTSD counselors in the world can not help a combat vet like another combat vet can.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I had the barrel of my M1 Garand in my mouth with my thumb on the trigger in 1988.
    God is the only reason I am still here.

All the book smart, never served, PTSD counselors in the world can not help a combat vet like another combat vet can.
    Heck; he ain't even got to be a combat vet to help a combat vet hold his shit together. He just needs to be empathetic while not being weak. Understand weakness without accepting excuses for them. Don't be a friend but a brother.

I'm sure glad your thumb didn't twitch. The world would have been a worse place. Because of you, people who were breaking the bonds of alcohol would still be enslaved or dead. They thank you and I thank you, too.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Sleep tight hopefully see yeah in the morning. Cause one day I won't and for most of us it's sooner then later.
    Last edited by Chipper; 11-11-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    Denton, watcher and dwight55 like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Sleep tight hopefully see yeah in the morning. Cause one day I won't and for most of us it's sooner then later.
    Seriously? Pessimist.
    dwight55 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Heck; he ain't even got to be a combat vet to help a combat vet hold his shit together. He just needs to be empathetic while not being weak. Understand weakness without accepting excuses for them. Don't be a friend but a brother.

I'm sure glad your thumb didn't twitch. The world would have been a worse place. Because of you, people who were breaking the bonds of alcohol would still be enslaved or dead. They thank you and I thank you, too.
    I'll go one step further...

A special shout out to the Vietnam and Korea vets. Because of the bullshit they went through when they came back home, I am POSITIVE a lot more Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan vets are not going through the same level of challenges as their predecessors.

That is not to take away from the sacrifices of the Desert Storm, Iraq or Afghanistan folks, but the bullshit the Korea and Vietnam guys went through coming home, woke some of us up to appreciate the gifts you have given all of us. Not all, but at least some.
    Last edited by Inor; 11-11-2019 at 09:44 PM.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I'll go one step further...

A special shout out to the Vietnam and Korea vets. Because of the bullshit they went through when they came back home, I am POSITIVE a lot more Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan vets are not going through the same level of challenges as their predecessors.

That is not to take away from the sacrifices of the Desert Storm, Iraq or Afghanistan folks, but the bullshit the Korea and Vietnam guys went through coming home, woke some of us up to appreciate the gifts you have given all of us. Not all, but at least some.
    Reagan shamed the American people for treating the Vietnam vets as badly as they did.
    He got them to understand that they shouldn't punish the warrior for the war.

The direct result of that is the way vets are treated today.
    And if I had a tiny part in that, it's a good thing.
    Inor and dwight55 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

For the Vietnam Vets....Welcome home guys...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans-ttvnv.jpg  

Inor, dwight55 and Annie like this.
    Agure Aut Mori

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links