This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans

This is a discussion on This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Inor I'll go one step further... A special shout out to the Vietnam and Korea vets. Because of the bullshit they went ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: This Might Be the Last Veterans Day for Some Veterans

  1. #11
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I'll go one step further...

    A special shout out to the Vietnam and Korea vets. Because of the bullshit they went through when they came back home, I am POSITIVE a lot more Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan vets are not going through the same level of challenges as their predecessors.

    That is not to take away from the sacrifices of the Desert Storm, Iraq or Afghanistan folks, but the bullshit the Korea and Vietnam guys went through coming home, woke some of us up to appreciate the gifts you have given all of us. Not all, but at least some.
    My father got to enjoy an all-expense-paid trip to Korea and then Vietnam. I was surrounded by people like my father when I was growing up. Some were grunts turned aviation like my father, some were grunts, supply various other jobs. Three served in WWII. One was a shit-sandwich because he heard the screams of Japs he burned with his flame-thrower.
    One man, a green beret, had one eye. He was drinking a beer in a bar in Saigon when someone ground his eye out with a broken beer bottle. From what he said, the idiot didn't fair well. Neither did the punk that accosted him at the airport.
    The father of a friend was missing a bicep. As fortune would have it, a "to whom it may concern" bullet removed it for him.
    My first father-in-law who was a medivac pilot in Vietnam told me about a time when an NVA arty round clipped off three feet of a rotor blade. He said it was an interesting ride down to the landscape.
    My ROTC rifle instructor was a first cav grunt in Vietnam. He'll tell you in a heartbeat that they won the war only for politicians to give away the victory.
    All of my NCOs at my first duty station were Vietnam veterans, and most of them were soup sandwiches. The only one who wasn't was my first sergeant and martial arts instructor. He killed himself when he flunked Sergeants-major academy.

    Why did my father fight two wars and come back fine. Want to know his worst memory? They'd just built site next to the ocean. A soldier asked my father (the company first sergeant) if he could go swimming. My father said no. He knew water. He could look at the water and tell it was treacherous. The soldier then asked a CW-2. The CW-2 was mid-easterner and didn't know any better. That dumb soldier drowned. He died for no good reason. He died because some dumb CW-2 gave the kid the answer he wanted.

    Why do some come back without a scratch only to be haunted while others come home in pieces with a good mind? Why did an Army shrink say I should be screwed-up after four tours that smoked some after just one, but I think I am fine? Could it be genetics? Maybe environment, considering the people that helped shape me? I don't know. I'm too old to pursue the degree that might help me understand that.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  2. #12
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Fire Land
    Posts
    7,549
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Reagan shamed the American people for treating the Vietnam vets as badly as they did.
    He got them to understand that they shouldn't punish the warrior for the war.
    I almost never disagree with you, but I will on this point. As much as I love President Reagan, he did not cause this grassfire to happen; he lit the fuse. Guys like you had been fighting for recognition of our vets long before Reagan came on the national stage. Guys like me came on after the fact. Regardless, we all came together and gto some part of it (but not enough) done.

    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The direct result of that is the way vets are treated today.
    And if I had a tiny part in that, it's a good thing.
    Our vets today, are treated better today than you were certainly. But that is not good enough. We need to treat all vets as conquering heroes, because that is what you are. We do not lose battles. We may lose wars but that is because of limp-wrist politicians...
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

    Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

  3. #13
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I almost never disagree with you, but I will on this point. As much as I love President Reagan, he did not cause this grassfire to happen; he lit the fuse. Guys like you had been fighting for recognition of our vets long before Reagan came on the national stage. Guys like me came on after the fact. Regardless, we all came together and gto some part of it (but not enough) done.



    Our vets today, are treated better today than you were certainly. But that is not good enough. We need to treat all vets as conquering heroes, because that is what you are. We do not lose battles. We may lose wars but that is because of limp-wrist politicians...
    We agree that @rice paddy daddy is much more than he will admit.
    I disagree about how today's vets are treated. Don't think for a damned minute that pious, "Thank you for your service" and the number to some suicide hotline are therapeutic things.
    They aren't. Neither are personal. Both leave a struggling vet adrift.
    watcher and dwight55 like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Goose Creek SC
    Posts
    2,226
    Every Vet who served has my upmost respect. Some never explain why they have a hard time sleeping, or adjusting to society.
    I once explained to my daughter why some Veterans have a hard time adjusting, while were at the range shooting.
    I said, imagine this loud rifle going off over and over for six months at various, times, night and day, and bullets coming back at you..
    Thats what some had to endure.
    Some had depth charges dropped on them, hint hint.
    Some had anti aircraft rounds shot at their airplanes.
    Some had camps bombed daily.
    Some flew drones from the USA, and saw what damage they were doing via cameras.
    Every Vet has a weakness. Every Vet doesnt see combat, but every Vet signed a Will prior to being deployed to the unknown task at hand.
    dwight55 and Denton like this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

  6. #15
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,612
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I had the barrel of my M1 Garand in my mouth with my thumb on the trigger in 1988.
    God is the only reason I am still here.

    All the book smart, never served, PTSD counselors in the world can not help a combat vet like another combat vet can.
    Blame not the man who marches off to war, for he was only doing what his country asked. Rather, blame the politicians that send men off to war without any more consideration then the political outcome. Glad you took your thumb of the trigger RPD.
    Denton and rice paddy daddy like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

  7. #16
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Why do some come back without a scratch only to be haunted while others come home in pieces with a good mind? Why did an Army shrink say I should be screwed-up after four tours that smoked some after just one, but I think I am fine? Could it be genetics? Maybe environment, considering the people that helped shape me? I don't know. I'm too old to pursue the degree that might help me understand that.
    It's by of the grace of God.
    Denton likes this.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

  8. #17
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,477
    All you vets out there, I've been thinking of you these past few days. Thanks for your service. May God reward you for all you've sacrificed for your country.
    rice paddy daddy and Denton like this.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

  9. #18
    The Good Cop


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. Georgia / N.E. Florida
    Posts
    12,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Blame not the man who marches off to war, for he was only doing what his country asked. Rather, blame the politicians that send men off to war without any more consideration then the political outcome. Glad you took your thumb of the trigger RPD.
    I actually heard the voice of my Vet Center counselor, Melvin M, speaking clearly in my ear “suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”
    Today, I realize that was God speaking to me.
    For some reason I kept the round that was chambered, and still have it today 31 years later. It is in my sock drawer.
    Maybe I need to take it to the range and fire it.
    Denton and Prepared One like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

  10. #19
    The Good Cop


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. Georgia / N.E. Florida
    Posts
    12,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Heck; he ain't even got to be a combat vet to help a combat vet hold his shit together. He just needs to be empathetic while not being weak. Understand weakness without accepting excuses for them. Don't be a friend but a brother.
    I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you my Brother.

    How many times have people said "Grandpa never talked about it" or "Daddy never talked about the war"?
    There is a reason - combat vets won't really share with those who haven't "been there".

    In the 1970's when Vietnam Veterans of America was first coming into being, Nam vets used to get together in "rap groups" to help each other work through the trauma. Remember, back in those times, to "rap" was to talk informally, not the vulgar excuse for music the word means today.
    Trauma from war is nothing new, the ancient Greeks wrote about it. The time tested way to deal with it was to drink a lot, and keep everything inside, because the "baggage" these men carried was very ugly, and something the average person would not only not understand, but be frightened by it.

    The Nam vets discovered what their WWII fathers had found out on the long sea voyages home, that talking about their experiences with peers was very helpful.
    The success of these "rap groups", and the perceived failure of the VA establishment pushed Vietnam Veterans of America to lobby Congress to establish the VA Vet Center program. The Vet Centers are a part of, but separate from, the VA. They do not share the same facilities, and most importantly, they do not share the veteran's treatment records and files with the VA.

    I am a Vet Center alumni, having been a "client" from 1985 to 1996. Back then it was for Vietnam vets only, today it has expanded to all combat vets. In my time, everyone in each facility was a vet, from the receptionist to the Team Leader. Most of the counselors were combat vets.
    There was individual, one-on-one counselling, and weekly group therapy sessions where vets were able to discuss their traumas and fears with EACH OTHER.
    AND IT WORKED. It worked very well.
    Denton likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top