Retirement blues...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Retirement blues...

This is a discussion on Retirement blues... within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; Vets of PF, I'm starting this thread for the communities sake, and for that of my own. I am set to retire in a few ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Retirement blues...

Retirement blues...

Vets of PF, I'm starting this thread for the communities sake, and for that of my own. I am set to retire in a few weeks time. It's kind of a scary notion to think that I am in fact down to weeks and not years like its always been. All those times I've told myself, you have plenty of time so buy that thing, or put that other thing off and get to it later have now become a source of uncertainty. It's a nervous time for me as the future is not set in stone. There aren't 50 different companies knocking down my door to offer me jobs...(in all honesty, there are a dozen or so opportunities, but I'd have to move to do them and I don't want to) and the ones that are immediate fill, I would be highly bored at. I never realized how tough it could be to find another career in my field of specialty close to where I want to live out my days. This unfortunately means the need to commute...or move...or take a regular old job. So how is my being a nervous ball of energy supposed to help the community? I'm glad you asked. I'm reaching out to the retirees. I want you to help me (and everyone else) by posting what concerns you had when you retired. What were your biggest hassles, regrets, and gotchas that no one told you about? What obstacles personally or professionally did you have to overcome? How bad was your transition? Have you ever recovered? Tell me your story. I think that will help at least ME get over some of the anxiety over such a life changing event. After all...the military life is ALL I KNOW. I've been doing it my whole adult life. This thread is meant to be the signal flare for the vets to come rescue a struggling mate. Thanks in advance, and I appreciate you all for taking the time to read and/or respond. Thank you for your service!
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

Super Moderator

First thing, understand that time is now working against you just as hard as it can. It always was, but it is now coming at you with a vengeance. The distractions are numerous, and they will all work to waste the time that is running by you at a dizzying pace.
    Do you want to continue your profession? Go with it, and go where you have to go to start building your worth in the civilian world. As your value grows, it can lead you back home.

What about other avenues? I was military police in the Army, but I am now an avionics mechanic on the UH-60. Never would have expected it, but here I am.

The world is there for you to hit it at a full run. Put on the track shoes and run!

Thanks for having the patience to serve our country!
    Smokin04, Michael_Js and phrogman like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

I won't give you platitudes, and nostrums, and tell you that it will al be OK. It might not be that way, I don't know, but I recently retired myself, and so far, I am still alive. Sit down and consider what it is that you want to do, make a list. Do you want to pursue another career, or a degree; and if you do what is it? Write them down, and dwell on things; if you want to set that aside and relax for a year, put it on the list.

Life can get really boring, and you can feel very useless, if you look at retirement the wrong way. Don't dwell on what you cannot do anymore, make a list one of possibles; and start heading in a direction that seems plausible to you. No one else can decide that for you, nor should they impose themselves and try to. I read a lot myself, and that suits me, and I don't listen to people that it does not suit, I simply turn that noise off.

I still make command decisions, it is simply that I command myself.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 07-24-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    Smokin04, Denton, inceptor and 2 others like this.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

You worked your whole life to retire and your just thinking about it now?? Only problem I had was what to do with all the time off. It's like I'm 16 again. Do what I want all day, answer to no one. I don't get the stress or panic your worried about.

Grab a case of beer and hit the lake for a while. Hopefully you won't be the guy that died 6 months after retirement with how much you have yourself worked up. Relax you made it.

First I'd like to say thanks for your service. It is really appreciated.

I retired at the end of June. It didn't seem real to me until I was only weeks away.

It took me nearly 3 weeks to relax and except it. Now the only issue I have is timing. All my normal timing is off. If I don't pay attention then it will be 3-4 am before I hit the sack. This can really throw your day off. So, I'm working on that.

I knew what I wanted to do when I retired. My ultimate goal is to get decent at woodworking. But I have a ton of projects around the house that need my attention first. With the heat we've been having in Texas, working in my shop (garage) has been challenging. In other words, not much has been accomplished.

I know guns are evil, especially the black ones. Still, I'm nearly done with my first lower build. I plan on building 2 more.

What I did do was buying equipment ahead of time. Spread out the cost of what I wanted to do. But I got some of the higher priced items out of the way and only have one more I want to get. My birthday is this month so I'll use money from that to offset the cost of my next item. Woodworking can be expensive to get started. I started buying what I wanted slowly about a year ago.

One thing we plan to do is some traveling when she finally retires.

My wife will work at least one more year she thinks. So I'm designated house husband. I'll need to relearn cooking for sure.

Another thing retirement has done for me is allowed me to reconnect with some really old friends. That has been a blessing.

So, I'm done with my rambling. Just the thoughts of a recently retired guy.

After I left Army I was to young to not work. A summer time gig turned into a 23 year relationship . When I left the question in my was what will I do. I had worked all my life and for the most part enjoyed it. One concern we did not have was financial security .
    The time filled up fast. Grandchildren , helping mother in law. Getting to church more often. Time to do many of the things I missed out on.
    Today got up a 0330 Made wife breakfast, dog in cat out feed them both. Checked pool and pond. Eat some eggs. Checked the forum. Clean basement some, rode Motorcycle to town. Had coffee picked up a few things came home. Check forum, cut some small stumps out of the right away that keep wrecking my mower. Did some cleaning in Garage never end task. Check forum. Got fish out for dinner. Daughter and Grandson stopped by and visited. Cut a few more small stumps. Rode the sidecar around to hauled axe and saws for the stumps. Any excuse to ride. Used sidecar because the xxx Polaris won't run right but that normal for it. Walked out to range 100 foot walk emptied 1 mag into target. Eat lunch on the move. taking a break will start dinner about 1400.
    You see there is always something to do. Just when we were working all the time in many cases someone did the other stuff.
    Tomorrow take a ride early pick Granddaughter up for PT appointments on the bike, we will slip in an hour or so ride. Take wife to dinner...... Live goes on it just takes a different path.
    0rocky, Smokin04, inceptor and 4 others like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    You worked your whole life to retire and your just thinking about it now?? Only problem I had was what to do with all the time off. It's like I'm 16 again. Do what I want all day, answer to no one. I don't get the stress or panic your worried about.

Grab a case of beer and hit the lake for a while. Hopefully you won't be the guy that died 6 months after retirement with how much you have yourself worked up. Relax you made it.
    No, it's not that I'm just thinking about it now. I've been planning it for years and making sure I'm in a good place for when the eventuality of it all comes to fruition. It's just a strange feeling that it's here now and it all seems to be going sort of smoothly. I'm not used to smooth. Maybe its because this time it's MY operation that I'm executing instead of someone else's. The nervousness is stemming from the uncertainty of employment. I'm apprehensive because I don't have a job yet. I'm ready to be hired but the connections I've made (and their promises) have yet to bear fruit. That's nerve racking...relying on the other side to make things happen.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

I’ve been retired for a year now. I planned literally everything out long before retirement day came, but I was still scared shitless to actually sign the papers. But I’ve been blessed that everything seems to have worked out pretty well. I made sure I had a decent income stream and my medical decision planning seems to be doing fine. For me it took a few months to get used to the drastic life change. And the wife took a while to get used to having me under foot all day. One word of advice....... don’t try to take over! Let the wife continue to make all the decisions she has been making all these years. Trying to stick your nose in now is going to cause problems....... trust me on this! After you catch up on overdue projects and honey-do jobs, you might get a little bored. I started doing volunteering with the RedCross. You’ll figure it out! Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I’ve been retired for a year now. I planned literally everything out long before retirement day came, but I was still scared shitless to actually sign the papers. But I’ve been blessed that everything seems to have worked out pretty well. I made sure I had a decent income stream and my medical decision planning seems to be doing fine. For me it took a few months to get used to the drastic life change. And the wife took a while to get used to having me under foot all day. One word of advice....... don’t try to take over! Let the wife continue to make all the decisions she has been making all these years. Trying to stick your nose in now is going to cause problems....... trust me on this! After you catch up on overdue projects and honey-do jobs, you might get a little bored. I started doing volunteering with the RedCross. You’ll figure it out! Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.
    Like I've said before: once I retired I couldn't believe I ever had the time for a job. For a couple of years, if I was on the freeway I would zone out and find myself driving to work LOL but that finally went away.
    Smitty901 and Michael_Js like this.

Nothing says you can't work in retirement. But it is a good time to work for others , no paycheck. I don't know how others feel ,but I a down right grateful for the life we have had. Rough road some times you bet , but dam what a ride. No gripes no looking back.
    Lot of people were shocked when I walked out. Many did not think I would stay retired long. Two years in now , Different life , different road . Grateful to have this chance.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links