Retirement blues... - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Retirement blues...

This is a discussion on Retirement blues... within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey SMokin, welcome back. FOr me Retirement was the most stressful event of my life. I was living on post with my wife and four ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Retirement blues...

Hey SMokin, welcome back.

FOr me Retirement was the most stressful event of my life.

I was living on post with my wife and four kids. I didn't have a good plan.

Civilian jobs are short cycled offers. You rarely can get a job offer six months out, they are usually advertised, offered and hired within a month or two... and many will not wait for you to get out "Six Month later" to take a job.

So it was for me, I was on my last month of active duty, with no idea if I was staying in the same city or relocating, but I had to plan for all my crap and my family to be packed up and out by the end of the month.

My advice, Plan for a short term displacement plan for your family, and then just focusing on finding the right job.

Good news, there are plenty off Jobs for those who will work. Just remember that it's not like the military, where you know six months out where you are PCS'ing too and what job is next....It's a much shorter cycle.

Good luck buddy.

OSFG

You are a lot younger than I thought also. Leaving the Military for this side it is a culture shock. But if you can adjust you are a wolf walking among sheep in many fields. You will figure out what I mean.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Yeah folks...I'm just turning 39 this year. Old SF Guy...I'm 45 minutes away from ya if you ever wanna grab a beer and share stories.
    stowlin likes this.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
    Yeah folks...I'm just turning 39 this year. Old SF Guy...I'm 45 minutes away from ya if you ever wanna grab a beer and share stories.
    Thank you my brother for your service, . . .

My story: did the "opened up like a thanksgiving turkey" type open heart surgery in '08, . . . was 63 at the time. Midway through 12 weeks recuperation, . . . decided I liked it, . . . called the folks at personnel, . . . got the stuff together, . . . retired, . . . have not looked back.

Got squirrely, . . . needing something to do, . . . got a retail job in a local store, . . . 3 mos later walked out, . . . got a job delivering pharmacy stuff to nursing homes, . . . 4 mos later, quit that one, . . . got involved in local Veteran organization doing veteran honor guard duties at local funerals, . . . I'm still there.

Added as well by joining the Vietnam Veterans Association, . . . I'm their honor guard captain and chaplain of both organizations.

Also opened up a little leather business "Dwights Gunleather", . . . do custom belts, holsters, cell phone cases, . . . etc.

I'm also pastor of a small country church, . . . a husband, . . . and father of one of the greatest sons a man could have. His wife just underwent liver replacement surgery and both are doing well, . . . especially he as the house husband for the next few months.

All in all, . . . it amounts to doing what you want to do, . . . have fun at it, . . . I just bought my first ever, ATV, . . . a 700 cc beast called a Kingquad, . . . will use it to set up my 200 yard shooting range, . . . and re-honing those skills.

During the 10 years I've been retired, . . . as well, I've built several AR rifles, . . . my son has the 7.62 x 39 version, . . . and for that round, it is a tack driver.

Top it all off, . . . did a "barn find" on a the quad, . . . having a ball learning about them, . . . and with the summer being what it is, . . . I'm doing my old Vietnam thing of sweating and stinking, . . . but this time I'm enjoying it.

Long and short, . . . take an aspirin daily for your heart before you go to bed at night, . . . and a jelly doughnut for your attitude around 9 every morning, . . . and just do what YOU want to do, . . . life will be fun.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retirement blues...-quad-2.jpg

If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Smokin04 congrats on making it to retirement. I don't have any useful advise since I haven't retired yet but please keep us updated when you get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For most I agree and I almost said 90% but there are some where itís not a big deal. Iím from SF originally and many of my past clients and one current client still lives there. He has a $700,000 mortgage that costs him about $5500 a month taxes and and the condo is worth 1.8-1.9 million today. Even in the 09 crash SF homes declined some but not like others and they have more than rebounded. If he were to work to pay that mortgage off, or take from savings investments to pay it off he pays dearly in taxes to raise that 700k. Where as he pays on the mortgage, gets some deductions though the trump tax cuts on mtg interest hurt this client and waits to retire then reverse mortgages the home, gathers enough to pay off the first with no taxes and has $800k or more in tax free cash for his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Lots of good investment/retirement ideas out there, but here's the very simplest: plan your mortgage(s) and other liabilities to end the day of retirement. When I retired I OWNED everything I have, no mortgages, no credit debt, no car payments, no NUTHIN'!! All my retirement income stays in my pocket, and it makes all the difference in the world. I am actually able to save more every month in retirement than I did when working.
    StratMaster and dwight55 like this.

Absolutely, there's certainly other ways to make things work depending on many of the scenarios you list. As a GENERAL proposition, in MOST areas, I stand by my recommendation. My properties were paid off at retirement, so that $5500 you mention would be going into savings... and I have owned 3 duplexes, one triplex, a bed and breakfast which I turned into a rental also, a horse ranch in Lapine, and a commercial property in town. Start multiplying all that rent and no payments times x 13 rentals and you get the idea.
    I have loooooong since retired, and eventually sold most my properties.
    As you said, it depends.
    I certainly took tax advantages while I was young and a real estate investor... even had properties which utilized the 19 year depreciation schedule before it went to 27 back in the 80's. Those juicy days are gone dangit LOL!
    Last edited by StratMaster; 07-26-2018 at 03:19 AM.
    dwight55 and stowlin like this.

I know your nervousness all too well. I retired three years ago after 25 years of service at the age of 43. Military life was all I knew too. Fortunately I was living where I wanted to retire and did not have to move. There are a lot of unknowns when you retire such as actual retirement pay, health care, how to survive in the civilian world. It takes about 30 days before your first paycheck is deposited into your account. Then they just keep coming like clockwork.

If you have terminal leave that will give you a little time find a job. I took a job working for the Post Office part time. No it's not a glorious job but it is steady work. My "part time job" averages 45 hours a week. Most of all there is no stress and I am still providing a service to my community. Whatever you decide to do for work will never compare to your time in service.

Like someone mentioned, "You are a wolf among sheep". All who served have the wolf in us. Some more than others. It is a challenge dealing with the sheep at times. Only 1% have served in the military. Others will not understand your time in service and will steer away from you because of it. Find a group of brothers and sisters who have been in your shoes. Join the Legion, VFW, Combat Motorcycle Club, VA, etc you can relate to. That helps with the transition.

Just remember are not the first to go through this and will not be the last.

Best of luck and thank you for your service.
    youngridge, phrogman and Smokin04 like this.

Bump for the update.

It's been a year since I retired. I have started contracting work (and have 1 full contract under my belt) and ironically go the EXACT job I had my last few years of service. By exact, I mean literally, the same chair in the same building with the same title...just as a contractor making twice the money. So that worked out nicely. Now, I just landed a gig doing the same type of gig working from home for another DOD contractor. So far, retirement has been enjoyable. There is always the uncertainty of the "next gig" though and I find that I'm constantly updating my resume and applying for jobs. Contractor life is for sure a temporary one and you never really gain much tenure. I've applied to EVERY GS job I'm qualified to do, and I'll be damned that I have yet to get a call back from any of them. If anything I can say that the military folks that thought that it was super easy to "just retire and get a GS job" clearly aren't living in this world yet. Ohh….they'll learn. Miss all you guys (and gals).
    Denton likes this.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

Get past any regrets and move on into the job called retirement. I call myself retired except to the 11 people I still work for and hence need to continue doing a daily routine for. Itís kind of like a partial retirement and they know Iím no longer local. We talk on the phone, exchange emails and I make it a point to do a face to face at least once a year. If I were fired by any, or all Iíd be fully retired but the fact is I like all 11 of these clients and so I keep them and since I left town theyíve all kept me.

That aside for the OP look at retirement as a job. Develop a routine and stick to it and include a hobby. I tried writing but I get blocked easy in my head and distracted so itís a tough one. Iíve also embraced farming and trying to grow things I canít most people call them trees. M

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links