Retirement blues... - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Retirement blues...

This is a discussion on Retirement blues... within the Military Veterans forums, part of the General Discussion category; This is a prepper forum right so I would assume everyone here has prepared for retirement? If you have it will be easier and should ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Retirement blues...

This is a prepper forum right so I would assume everyone here has prepared for retirement? If you have it will be easier and should be less scary as a financial advisor to retirees most of those I worked for in fact have more money then they’ll need and in some cases even enough to cover the wants. I started saving for retirement about age 16 so that compounding interest thing is really cool. I hope every one prepares so well they have no shortcomings in retirement. I still work for exactly 7 clients all of whom know I “retired” but still manage their accounts like I wasn’t.
    StratMaster and 0rocky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    This is a prepper forum right so I would assume everyone here has prepared for retirement? If you have it will be easier and should be less scary as a financial advisor to retirees most of those I worked for in fact have more money then they’ll need and in some cases even enough to cover the wants. I started saving for retirement about age 16 so that compounding interest thing is really cool. I hope every one prepares so well they have no shortcomings in retirement. I still work for exactly 7 clients all of whom know I “retired” but still manage their accounts like I wasn’t.
    Lots of good investment/retirement ideas out there, but here's the very simplest: plan your mortgage(s) and other liabilities to end the day of retirement. When I retired I OWNED everything I have, no mortgages, no credit debt, no car payments, no NUTHIN'!! All my retirement income stays in my pocket, and it makes all the difference in the world. I am actually able to save more every month in retirement than I did when working.

I'm in the same boat. I never believed in a bucket list, if there was a motorcycle I wanted, I bought it, if there was a girl I liked, I talked to her. But life happens.

One day I noticed blood in my eye, I learned I had a torn retina. The surgery was painless, but the social outcome wasn't. I was warned about "jolting," so both Harleys were sold. I was advised to not shoot large bore shotguns, since the stock would be against my face. I did buy the Kimber .22LR Conversion Kit for my UC2, but for that first year I got everything I loved taken away from me, even going to the gym.

Those days are past, but for a time "life" was going to bed early and listening to the Packers' game on the radio. But things got better. You will find new pursuits as time marches on.
    0rocky and stowlin like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thank you for the inputs thus far.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

I think the finances will be the easy part. I am lucky enough to have a retirement pension from the service. That will be additional money stacked on top of what ever next career I choose to pursue. Hopefully, I can stay 20 years with my next gig and get a retirement pension from them. I'll probably work until 58, and then retire fully on my 2 pensions, and then start taking my social security (if still a thing LOL) at around 67. 3 retirement checks will be nice. But...I definitely need to keep some cash laying around for when the banks collapse.

EDIT: Of course this plan can go tits up...which is why I'm a prepper of course.
    phrogman likes this.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

Super Moderator

Well, I"m not in the military, so I hope it's okay if I stop by. I just wanted to wish you a fantastic retirement! I hope you go and find new passions, make your own fun, enjoy. All the best!!!

When I retired from the Navy in 2012, my retainer pay was enough to pay all my bills. So, I needed a job/career to pay for food and gas and fun.
    Went from Hawaii to where my wife said I was going to retire, Charleston SC. Well, I found a government contractor company full of bubbleheads and have been there ever since. Not too much fun, and I travel a bit. Wife and kids are real independent, so life is good.
    I do need to say thanks for the years you put in for this great country, a heartfelt thanks.
    I still need to find work that I enjoy, maybe one day that job will present itself.
    Smokin04, phrogman and stowlin like this.

I am glad to hear you are retiring and young enough to start another career. I am on my second career and am enjoying it. I will fully retire in two years. We plan on selling our house and have sold our half in the BOL. We plan to move and maybe buy us a fixer upper for a BOL and move on it. The bride and I both like doing that kind of thing. She has done it numerous times before it became popular. I don't know what you have been doing for our service but medicine is always something where age does not matter. I think when I went back to college and got my Respiratory Therapist degree I was 43 when I graduated. Medicine is ALWAYS in demand. Now or after SHTF it is always needed. Whatever your endeavor I wish you the best of luck.
    Smokin04 and phrogman like this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

@Smokin04 I didn't realize that you were a youngin. So, here's a different story.

My old dive buddy was a comm's guy on Cobraball back in Nam. In fact he's the one who got me into ham radio. Here is what he did.

After he retired from the military, he went back to school and got an electrical engineers degree. He was making 6 figures when I met him and his income only increased. He also loved what he did. He retired at 70 only because the company shut down and moved to the Philippines.

He is now 77 and has an outstanding retirement fund. He still dives. He now travels a couple of times a year to blue water destinations that there's no way I could afford.

Find something you like. If you like it then it's not work. You're at a point where you can do pretty much what you like and find a new career you'll enjoy. Do what my friend did and enjoy yourself while making a living.
    hawgrider and Smokin04 like this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Couple years left if the body holds up. Then its more shootin, huntin, fishin, grinin and pickin some strings and maybe some word of mouth jobs for extra bourbon money.
    inceptor, StratMaster and phrogman like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links