Today, I burned the Flag of The United States of America...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Today, I burned the Flag of The United States of America... within the Military and Government Links forums, part of the News & Links category; ...Not in disrespect for a nation unrecognizable as the greatest republic it once was, but our American Flag was starting to get in poor condition; ...

Like Tree25Likes
  • 13 Post By Slippy
  • 2 Post By KUSA
  • 4 Post By rice paddy daddy
  • 2 Post By Sasquatch
  • 3 Post By Slippy
  • 1 Post By MisterMills357

Thread: Today, I burned the Flag of The United States of America...

...Not in disrespect for a nation unrecognizable as the greatest republic it once was, but our American Flag was starting to get in poor condition; faded and torn in places.

So, according to the US Flag Code, Section 8-k..."The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning" I folded the flag properly and placed it atop a hot fire and it was destroyed.

Mrs Slippy said a prayer honoring the Patriots of these United States past and present.

We used to give worn flags to the Boy Scouts, but they are so messed up now, I didn't want to risk some homo pedophile scout master doing something undignified to the flag.

https://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    We used to give worn flags to the Boy Scouts, but they are so messed up now, I didn't want to risk some homo pedophile scout master doing something undignified to the flag.
    You couldn’t give it to them anyway as they don’t exist anymore.
    Slippy and Denton like this.

The Good Cop

The title of your thread had me going, Slippy. My blood pressure shot up 50 points.

In our two small towns the VFW and American Legion collect the flags throughout the year and on Flag Day (June 14) each year we hold a flag retirement ceremony.
    The owner of the Callahan Speedway lets us use the facility. https://callahanspeedway.com
    Which is nice because there is a bleacher section for spectators and we hold the actual ceremony in the infield.
    There is an opening prayer, a local dignitary usually recites "I Am The Flag" or something similar (NO politics). There is a folding of the largest flag by a uniformed VFW/Legion detail while the meaning of the 13 folds is explained over the loudspeaker.
    As the now folded flag is passed from the Legion commander to the VFW commander, the Pledge of Allegiance is recited, and Taps is played as he places it reverently into the fire.
    For the last several years Taps has been my detail, with the VFW's electronic bugle (I have zero musical ability). It is a huge honor to be asked to do this, and as always, taps makes me cry.

This year we retired almost 1,000 flags. Yes, a large group of people, in close proximity, without any masks, COVID BE DAMNED!!!

Good on you, Slip my friend. the 5th Infantry Division is proud of you!!
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Why not just give the flag to a woman in a position of power?
    KUSA and Slippy like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The title of your thread had me going, Slippy. My blood pressure shot up 50 points.

In our two small towns the VFW and American Legion collect the flags throughout the year and on Flag Day (June 14) each year we hold a flag retirement ceremony.
    The owner of the Callahan Speedway lets us use the facility. https://callahanspeedway.com
    Which is nice because there is a bleacher section for spectators and we hold the actual ceremony in the infield.
    There is an opening prayer, a local dignitary usually recites "I Am The Flag" or something similar (NO politics). There is a folding of the largest flag by a uniformed VFW/Legion detail while the meaning of the 13 folds is explained over the loudspeaker.
    As the now folded flag is passed from the Legion commander to the VFW commander, the Pledge of Allegiance is recited, and Taps is played as he places it reverently into the fire.
    For the last several years Taps has been my detail, with the VFW's electronic bugle (I have zero musical ability). It is a huge honor to be asked to do this, and as always, taps makes me cry.

This year we retired almost 1,000 flags. Yes, a large group of people, in close proximity, without any masks, COVID BE DAMNED!!!

Good on you, Slip my friend. the 5th Infantry Division is proud of you!!
    Thank you Sir! Didn't mean to get your blood pressure risin'! Just wanted to get some folks interested in the thread about what the US Flag Code says about flag retirement. Click Bait perhaps! Gotta keep the folks interested you know!

That was funny. I learned how to dispose of a spoiled American flag in the Boy Scouts. I believe that burying it is another approved way of disposing.
    Slippy likes this.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am at chapter 3.3. And I at chapter 3 of Crime And Punishment. I am moving like a snail, because of myriad of ailments, but I am moving.

Sponsored Links