Radical Ideas to Transform the Infantry
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Radical Ideas to Transform the Infantry within the Military and Government Links forums, part of the News & Links category; Seems like a very expensive and crazy idea to me. What would it take to transform U.S. infantry into a higher-caliber force modeled after the ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Radical Ideas to Transform the Infantry

Seems like a very expensive and crazy idea to me.

What would it take to transform U.S. infantry into a higher-caliber force modeled after the elite 75th Ranger Regiment? For starters, find recruits in their mid-20s and offer them $250,000 bonuses and a $60,000-a-year salary.
    Recruits would be brought in at the grade of E-4 or E-5 and could possibly be allowed to retire at half-pay after serving 13 years, "if you spent nine of those 13 years climbing up and down the mountains of Afghanistan," Scales said.
    "There is no thought within the Army to even recognize the fact that close combat should be an excepted force," Scales said. "We already except close combat in SOCOM. They are, by nature, by their very definition, an excepted force."

Scales said that infantry units should be "exempt from all the boring, routine, non-MOS specific tasks" to free up more time for marksmanship and other close-quarter battle skills.
    https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-infantry.html

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    Seems like a very expensive and crazy idea to me.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-infantry.html
    They all be DEAD QUICK with out training and guidance.

Let the liberals go on the front line.
    RedLion likes this.

Take a few billion dollars a year and invest it producing decent interest. That interest is used to offer about $24k a year in pay to criminals in state prisons that are willing to join the American Foreign Legion. Every year of service is worth four of their sentence and when they get done they have money and hopefully a new respect for our country.
    RedLion likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

75% of American youth are unqualified for service in the Army, either for physical or criminal reasons.
    To raise a force as well trained and resolute as the Rangers would be impossible.
    With all due respect to the SEALS, the Army Rangers outclass them.
    And very few who volunteer for Ranger School make it to graduation. The females that supposedly graduated were given special treatment according to insiders.
    Just being a standard 11B Light Weapons Infantry is hard enough.
    Someone at the Pentagon is not thinking clearly.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 07-09-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    RedLion and Smitty901 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

So they are basically buying mercenaries??

Heck that sounds like a great idea if I was only 20 years old again. Work 13 years and retire at 33. Then draw pension for the next 40-50 years at 30K a year. Anybody figure out how they are going to pay for this unfunded liability?
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    75% of American youth are unqualified for service in the Army, either for physical or criminal reasons.
    To raise a force as well trained and resolute as the Rangers would be impossible.
    And very few who volunteer for Ranger School make it to graduation. The females that supposedly graduated were given special treatment according to insiders.
    Just being a standard 11B Light Weapons Infantry is hard enough.
    Someone at the Pentagon is not thinking clearly.
    Per the article, supposedly General Mattis was the man behind the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Anybody figure out how they are going to pay for this unfunded liability?
    Nobody seems to care about the other $120 Trillion in unfunded liabilities, so why would they about this?
    SGG likes this.

I have worked with SEALS, and met a few Marine Recon ( hope that is correct). All have been very professional and fine SAILORS and Marines.
    I think trying to make a military to equal a Ranger is very very expensive. Its the continuous training and Senior NCOs that will cost to keep this type of program going..
    I really thing more live fire training for infantry is a start. Put down the collateral duties, enlist people to do that, and let infantry be INFANTRY...
    We do need exceptional Warriors, but our regular Warriors need to be trained to be very good at the basics of being a Warrior.
    Not BS collateral and such which generally mean nothing when warheads need to be put on foreheads.

Some of my fondest military memories were those connected with the light infantry unit I served in with the OARNG.

We trained hard, . . . worked hard, . . . and played hard.

I truly believe we could have been better had we not had a CO or two more interested in not rocking the boat and making sure EVERYONE knew what he was doing, . . . but some of them were there just doing time waiting for the next assignment and the next promotion.

But also, . . . there was IMHO just way too much BS that came down from above about what was and was not important.

One year we went to Ft Knox for 2 weeks training, . . . and it was basically a 2 week boot camp, . . . that started just above "left face, . . . right face, . . . left face, . . . right face, . . . about face".

Lots of good training time was just plain wasted.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Do you have any supporting evidence of that?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links