Blizzard of '78 - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Blizzard of '78

This is a discussion on Blizzard of '78 within the Michigan forums, part of the Regions category; I remember '78 very well. We had 23 people living in our house. Neighbors that all had electric heat. We used a generator with our ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Blizzard of '78

Over a hill and around a corner on a back road in Southeastern, Ohio
    I remember '78 very well. We had 23 people living in our house. Neighbors that all had electric heat. We used a generator with our gas heat I remember everyone slept downstairs. I was only 8 at the time. I remember they only allowed 4X4 on the road. Snow drifts where huge. All the guys went out with a backhoe and cleared roads. The National Guard came in and asked what we needed and brought gas for our generator. When the roads opened up some Kroger moved the ice cream freezer outside. I'm sure we will survive 2020 and remember it although we would like to forget. My family lost a Mom, Stepdad, Dad and a cousin in 8 months. None related to Covid-19. So its definitely a year we will remember. Too bad we can't have a do over year!
    MountainGirl and hawgrider like this.

Super Moderator

The blizzard of 78 was the final push to get me to move to Texas. I made it in 80.

ETA: We had power and a gas furnace. The problem is we couldn't keep the house warm so we pretty much blocked off the rest of the house and stayed in the living room. Cooking was a bear although the stove did heat up the kitchen after a bit but that didn't last long.
    Last edited by inceptor; 11-30-2020 at 02:46 AM.
    hawgrider likes this.

78 made me proud of those that live out here. All knew we would not get plowed out or power back. Liberal cities come first period. With out a meeting or a a government comity people got out . If they had anything that would move snow they did. We had more dairy farms then and everyone knew that milk needed to be picked up. For farms that lost power people shared and moved generators around as needed. Not one farmer here lost a dime in milk income.
    As roads opened up by our hand, they started doing the driveways of homes out here. Those on the road that night that sheltered at the tavern found their cars pulled out of the ditch and pretty much ready to get back home.
    You did not hear any poor me carp. You saw people getting up and doing something for others.
    T-Man 1066 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I remember my town was without power for almost a week...Snowplow did not get to us for 4 days.

People were checking on other people using snow mobiles and snow shoes

Thank God we had a wood stove. I had to shovel snow off my grandparents roof and when backing a car into the street- the snow was so high around the drive way you could not see the road.
    Be a Berean

Over a hill and around a corner on a back road in Southeastern, Ohio
    I also remembering my Dad telling us that the went to a farm house and got out an older couple. He said they were huddled around a kerosene lamp with what looked like every piece of clothing that they owned. They took a lot of people to shelters. I haven't seen a really large snow here in Ohio since we moved back in 2008.
    ActionJackson likes this.

Super Moderator

I love me a big snow storm ana hurry-cane. So exciting!
    "Confusion is the guardian of truth."--Vincent Frankini, Tumblar House

Super Moderator

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Ah... blizzards..

I fondly remember the Denver blizzard of Christmas 1982. Parents were in Ireland and I was at their house. Girlfriend was over for Xmas even and I took her back to her house around 7pm. (Big mistake). It was snowing hard but not terrible.

Went to bed Christmas even and woke up Christmas Day around 9am and couldn’t find my car. It was parked in front of the house, facing down hill (knowing we’d get “some” snow and I’d be able to drive straight down the hill and out) but it was under so much snow and drifts that I couldn’t see it.

Went to the back of house.. and nothing.. snow up to the roof with a drift. Was staring at a wall of snow.

Now in Texas.. hurry-canes.... but no cold!!!
    hawgrider and ActionJackson like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

I don't believe there's ever been a blizzard in western Washington in my lifetime. We did have December 2008, though, when we had snow on the ground for almost the entire month of December. First time I'd ever experienced anything like it. (In Washington anyway. It was like that in Alaska, of course.) @Just Another Nut; @MichaelJs; do you remember that? Our youngest was freaking out because she was worried it was going to affect her high school graduation date.

There is less than a inch of white stuff on the ground. I remember the day after Christmas'92 had 1" of snow , that we rode our new '93 Artic Rats around on.

It never stopped snowing for a week after that and we got snowed in. That's what I told the ex .
    Last edited by AquaHull; 12-13-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    inceptor likes this.
    Bucket-Back since 2004

I remember this. I was a paper boy and I remember being all bundled up, walking my 115 paper route at West Point, up in Stoney Lonesome road..
    I remember walking on a car and not realizing it till I slid off. Drifts were huge... Epic..
    Smitty901 likes this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links