How do you make a worm farm?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How do you make a worm farm? within the Livestock forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I have a dozen left over nightcrawlers and about 2 dozen redworms from a fishing trip last week stored in beer fridge. Was wondering from ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How do you make a worm farm?

I have a dozen left over nightcrawlers and about 2 dozen redworms from a fishing trip last week stored in beer fridge. Was wondering from others that have done this the best way to start a small easy bin so that I can later put the overflow in my gardens and yard (as well as use for bait). Just looking for things like "don't mix redwormds with nightcrawlers" or "make sure you put something on the bottom of the bin so they will not escape", and other tips on feeding, watering etc.?
    Denton likes this.

Re: How do you make a worm farm?

We had a small worm farm. It is really easy. The dirt and tea makes great fertilizer. Just get a large tub I poked holes for drainage and set it on the lid so the drainage would collect. This makes the tea. Fill it about 1/3 with soil, add the worms and keep the soil very moist, but not so wet that the water builds up in the bin. You will need to add soil as the worm population grows. Throw vegetable scraps on top of the dirt pile. You have to judge how fast the worms eat it to know how much to use. The scraps should be gone in a day. Every few months you can change the dirt out and use it for dressing your plants, and make more worm tea.
    http://www.redwormcomposting.com/raising-earth-worms/
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Would "mixing" regular redworms with nightcrawlers make a difference? I'm thinking along the lines of how male beta's kill each other when put in the same bowl as pertaining to "fish".

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It would probably best to start them in separate bins. The night crawlers being larger may eat all the food.

From what I have researched as far as reds and nights is the red are actually the ones you want more as a composter they will eat more. I recently started a small indoor style set up. Which might be the way you want to go I dont know. It is the system that uses five gallon buckets stacked. You can also use the plastic totes this way. I think I came across it on youtube. All you do is get a few 5 gallon buckets. You will have the bottom one to catch fluids and the rest will have holes drilled in the bottom of them. The bucket on top of the collection bucket I put down some screen to keep the worms from falling to the collection bucket. Leave the rest unblocked. Fill it with some dirt which worms need to help digest their food. I cut a piece of cardboard to fit down on top of the dirt. Water it down a little and all you have do is add the worms. To feed them I just get me table scraps and add them. Just dig a little spot in the soil put your scraps in cover up a little bit recover with the cardboard and thats it. Next time you add some scraps put them in a different spot. Once you fill that bucket do the same with another bucket and sit it right on top of the first and so on and so on. I keep my bucket with a lid just to keep other critters out. Keep the soil a little damp. Check the bottom bucket and when starts to get full pour out to another bucket and some the best fertilizer I have ever had. Dilute it of course. I dont know it works for me.
    Casie likes this.

Do you know if they survive the winters or is there a specific low temp you need to watch for?

If they are outside, the ground needs to be above freezing. Earthworms will hibernate and go 3 feet down, and I think Nightcrawlers will go around 6 feet down. It depends on your frost line. You can cover the area with tarps, or heavy mulch to keep the ground warmer.
    Last edited by amym505; 06-16-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo

Thank you. Can't believe they can go that deep. I love learning stuff like this!
    MountainMan likes this.

Hey how'd the worm farm go? I'm thinkin' about starting one for my chickens. I didn't even consider using the rabbit pellets. The kids are gonna' love this! lol.
    I will fight until my last breath. I will bleed every drop.

Besides compost, what are some other benefits of having worms?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links