Chicks !!! - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Chicks !!!

This is a discussion on Chicks !!! within the Livestock forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by beach23bum I would love to see more pictures of the big blue water and how the chicks get the water. Here is ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Chicks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by beach23bum View Post
    I would love to see more pictures of the big blue water and how the chicks get the water.
    Here is another setup, using a 5 gal. flat backed stall bucket. Same as others, you simply drill holes in the bottom & thread in the nipples. Originally I tried using the heated stall buckets, but even though the water didn't freeze, the nipples froze where they wouldn't work. Adding a small 250 watt tank heater to this bucket solved that wintertime issue.

Sonya, beach23bum and Denton like this.

HUH? I thought that it was the hooman kind. This one used to be hooman, but she jumped the tracks somewhere in life.

Attachment 32170
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/337421
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 12-12-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    Denton and A Watchman like this.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

Super Moderator

This is start of Week #2, big chicks, no losses so far, still 52, and the hatchery sent me 2 females for extras according to the NPIP certification. A couple of days ago I had to do a vent cleaning, if you don't know... don't ask.
    Chicks !!!-barred-rock-chicks-week-1a.jpg

Rancher
    Denton and Sonya like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    This is start of Week #2, big chicks, no losses so far, still 52, and the hatchery sent me 2 females for extras according to the NPIP certification. A couple of days ago I had to do a vent cleaning, if you don't know... don't ask.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barred Rock Chicks Week 1a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	32378

Rancher

They can't certify chicks that young can they? Did the hatchery send NPIP paperwork? I don't understand.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    They can't certify chicks that young can they? Did the hatchery send NPIP paperwork? I don't understand.
    Certify what? NPIP is a program, you must test once a year, chicks are certified as coming from an NPIP flock.

In AZ, NPIP really means nothing, I don't even think the shows require it, I know that they didn't, and NPIP has been around since the 30's when backyard egg ranches were the norm.

Rancher
    Sonya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    Certify what? NPIP is a program, you must test once a year, chicks are certified as coming from an NPIP flock.

In AZ, NPIP really means nothing, I don't even think the shows require it, I know that they didn't, and NPIP has been around since the 30's when backyard egg ranches were the norm.

Rancher
    Oh okay, paperwork saying the hatchery was NPIP.

I agree it doesn't mean much, the first time I bought chicks I made sure to get them from an NPIP breeder but now realize the testing doesn't screen for Marek's or some of the other most worrisome diseases. Shows in Georgia do require a NPIP certificate or proof that they are Pullorum Typhoid free. Some of the big shows will do spot testing at the door.

Would love to go to a poultry show one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    Oh okay, paperwork saying the hatchery was NPIP.

I agree it doesn't mean much, the first time I bought chicks I made sure to get them from an NPIP breeder but now realize the testing doesn't screen for Marek's or some of the other most worrisome diseases. Shows in Georgia do require a NPIP certificate or proof that they are Pullorum Typhoid free. Some of the big shows will do spot testing at the door.

Would love to go to a poultry show one of these days.
    Your in luck, next month you can check em out at the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.
    In February at The San Antonio Stock show and Rodeo.
    In March at the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo.

I'll likely make two of the three myself.
    Sonya likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

This story got me thinking about this old partner I used to have who was raised up around Jouston. He said his granny always order her baby chicks from Sears and Roebuck and they come in alive and well in slated crates. Well he was apparently a mean little five year old when he found the crates and started letting the baby chicks loose into the hog trough. The big sow come over and started gobbling them up like Orville Reddenbackers popping corn as they hit the deck. It was not a nice story and he got his coola spanked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Your in luck, next month you can check em out at the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.
    In February at The San Antonio Stock show and Rodeo.
    In March at the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo.

I'll likely make two of the three myself.
    LOL, sounds like fun but Texas is a bit far. I may check out the show schedule and see if I can find something with an hour.

The video I posted above is a retired show hen about 7 or 8 years old, got her a few years ago. They make great pets as they are used to be handled. Sometimes I imagine entering her and her sister just for kicks. She is likely too old to win but she is probably in better shape now than when she was caged as a show bird. She has a huge 40x40 ft run, has raised a few clutches of layer chicks, and gets to free range in the backyard a few times a week. She may have more muscle mass/tone than the younger contenders.

Do you show birds? Other than grooming it doesn't seem difficult, there aren't any paperwork requirements, for GA residents they will spot test for PT at the door without AI testing (I am paranoid as heck about influenza tests, I don't want to gov anywhere near my birds). But I realize there is very stiff competition to actually win, especially among the popular breeds.
    Last edited by Sonya; 12-15-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    I "show" my birds the sharp end of a hatchet when they stop maximum egg production which is generally about 3 years. Those who keep chickens as pets absolutely crack me up.

Yes this is my differing opinion I hope you like it.
    bigwheel and JustAnotherNut like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links