Old School Poultry Keeping - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Old School Poultry Keeping

This is a discussion on Old School Poultry Keeping within the Livestock forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut Usually when I get too many eggs I've dried & powdered mine and have used them for baking & scrambled eggs ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Old School Poultry Keeping

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Usually when I get too many eggs I've dried & powdered mine and have used them for baking & scrambled eggs but I've been wondering about storing eggs that way, in the water. Are they still good for frying sunny side up?
    After 5-6 months the yokes sometimes get a tiny bit runnier but usually still firm enough to fry sunny side up.
    There is no taste difference between fresh from the nest eggs and those stored in the lime/water solution for 6 months. For safety any eggs that we've stored for more than 3=4 months we drop them on a bowl of water to make sure they don't float (eggs float hen they've gone bad) but after 4 years we've never had an egg go bad.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Video I used to learn about preserving eggs.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E44E&FORM=VIRE

Well, yeehaw!! My broody has hatched out 2 of the 4 eggs I put under her. It's still early, so the other 2 eggs may hatch out as well.....or not. And 3 of those eggs were from the fridge......I had been getting one egg per day until she went broody at which point I only had 1 fresh egg, but pulled out the last 3 laid over the previous 3 days just to see if it would work.

Hopefully in the next couple of days, I can get some pics to share of the total tally....if I can figure out how to do that here. Any suggestions?????

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Growing up my parents had a good sized chicken coop and used to sell eggs. It had lots of windows, one whole wall was windows, and would warm up in the morning sun.

The birds coop had little chicken doors that allowed them to go out into a large fenced yard, or free range if we opened the gate for that. They were happy chickens.

One evening we had left the little chicken doors open............ I got up with my Father early the next morning to feed and water the birds, check for eggs........

When we opened the door all hell broke loose! Birds flying everywhere ,and slamming into the windows trying to get out?

But they weren't chickens, they were about a dozen grouse/partridges that had flew over the outside fencing, and came into the coop to feast on chicken's food and stay warm.

We let them be, and eventually they followed the chickens back outside of the coop.

I hope I did this right...….but there is a chick on the right side of the pic and the other is somewhere in her speckled feathers with it's beak sticking out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School Poultry Keeping-chicks1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Growing up my parents had a good sized chicken coop and used to sell eggs. It had lots of windows, one whole wall was windows, and would warm up in the morning sun.

The birds coop had little chicken doors that allowed them to go out into a large fenced yard, or free range if we opened the gate for that. They were happy chickens.

One evening we had left the little chicken doors open............ I got up with my Father early the next morning to feed and water the birds, check for eggs........

When we opened the door all hell broke loose! Birds flying everywhere ,and slamming into the windows trying to get out?

But they weren't chickens, they were about a dozen grouse/partridges that had flew over the outside fencing, and came into the coop to feast on chicken's food and stay warm.

We let them be, and eventually they followed the chickens back outside of the coop.
    It's a wonder they didn't break the windows. Good grief that probably scared the crap out of everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    It's a wonder they didn't break the windows. Good grief that probably scared the crap out of everyone.
    Yes. Dad was worried about the windows breaking and/or the wild birds breaking their necks (would have then been dinner). He knew they would follow the chickens outside.

I was about 5 or 6, sat and watched the birds parade out of the coop after breakfast....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links