Mean ass Rooster
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mean ass Rooster

This is a discussion on Mean ass Rooster within the Livestock forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Ok, now that I have the eggs under control, I guess they weren't super thin, just not aged enough.. It seems my rooster is a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Mean ass Rooster

Mean ass Rooster

Ok, now that I have the eggs under control, I guess they weren't super thin, just not aged enough..
    It seems my rooster is a dick, he has almost all the ladies "beat down" and they are getting bare spots on their backs, where I assume his spurs and toes are ripping them?
    Do you trim these spurs and toes? I saw one video, a guy did the spurs.
    I will research.
    Oh, and i thought I had an egg bound ladie, seems she was constipated, when we were about to inject some mineral oil in her cloacha, she said hell no, jumped away, and pooped out a huge loaf, looked like it may have had a broken egg in it too.
    Chickens shit and lay eggs out the same hole?
    She still stays in the nesting box, and has me worried, but I think it is because she is black, and its shaded in the box?
    I know, lots of questions, but I trust you guys.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Ok, now that I have the eggs under control, I guess they weren't super thin, just not aged enough..
    It seems my rooster is a dick, he has almost all the ladies "beat down" and they are getting bare spots on their backs, where I assume his spurs and toes are ripping them?
    Do you trim these spurs and toes? I saw one video, a guy did the spurs.
    I will research.
    Oh, and i thought I had an egg bound ladie, seems she was constipated, when we were about to inject some mineral oil in her cloacha, she said hell no, jumped away, and pooped out a huge loaf, looked like it may have had a broken egg in it too.
    Chickens shit and lay eggs out the same hole?
    She still stays in the nesting box, and has me worried, but I think it is because she is black, and its shaded in the box?
    I know, lots of questions, but I trust you guys.
    Personally, I'd get rid of the rooster.

One of my nephews gave us a rooster a number of years back and it was such a pain in the ass that I made him take it back to the farm that my nephew "rescued" it from. The farmer wouldn't take it back, told my nephew that it was a pain in the ass rooster which is why he gave my nephew the rooster in the first place. Nephew called to tell me he was coming back with the rooster...

"HELL NO you ain't" I said. "I'll whip your ass and then kill the damn rooster so you better think of something. An hour or so later, nephew calls back and says he drove up to another farm, knocked on the door and no one answered so he left the rooster and hauled ass back to Slippy Lodge.

All's well that ends well I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

One of my nephews gave us a rooster a number of years back and it was such a pain in the ass that I made him take it back to the farm that my nephew "rescued" it from. The farmer wouldn't take it back, told my nephew that it was a pain in the ass rooster which is why he gave my nephew the rooster in the first place. Nephew called to tell me he was coming back with the rooster...

"HELL NO you ain't" I said. "I'll whip your ass and then kill the damn rooster so you better think of something. An hour or so later, nephew calls back and says he drove up to another farm, knocked on the door and no one answered so he left the rooster and hauled ass back to Slippy Lodge.

Slippy, why not introduce Mr. Rooster to the hatchet and splitting stump, then make some soup?
    Joe, Slippy and JustAnotherNut like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Rooster needs a dirt nap! Trim the spurs at minimum.

No rooster in my flock.
    Slippy likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Half mile west of where Jesus left His sandals.
    Cut the spurs with a small hacksaw. Watch for where the blood starts. If it does bleed rub dirt into it to stop the bleeding. You can trim toes with electrician's dikes. If he keeps pecking at you file his upper beak shorter than the lower beak with a machinist file. Probably a little English game in him. Its their nature. If he keeps being a pain in the ass you can always pull his head.
    Slippy likes this.

Joe

I think your rooster needs to find his way to the crockpot. As far as hens with bare spots on their backs sometimes that is caused by other hens (pecking order) Get a can of pine tar and coat the bare areas on their backs this will discourage pecking
    Mad Trapper likes this.

Bang flop and replace.
    Deebo likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

That was yours? From a different forum:

"A pain in the ass Rooster showed up on my porch. And I don't own any roosters/chickens!! We are not sure where he came from but he looks to be in rough shape with missing feathers on his back and chest.....like maybe someone tried to put his head on a pike one time or something
    Last edited by Annie; 06-17-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    Slippy, stevekozak and A Watchman like this.

roosters make great pellet rifle targets.....

The Good Cop

Each of our small flocks of 6 to 8 hens has a rooster. Good roos keep the ladies happy, and will sound off loud and clear when danger approaches.
    But mean ones are gone el rapido.

Unless you are going to go through the time and effort to incubate, hatch, and raise your own chicks, roosters are not really needed.
    We have all the equipment to do so, and have done so, but it is much easier to buy biddies at the feed store in the spring. Or, order on line from a hatchery such as Murray McMurray and have them delivered live to your place by the post office. www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
    This is where the wife gets her specialty breeds, like Plymouth Barred Rocks, Americaunas, Buff Orpingtons, and such.

If you are serious about keeping chickens, there are several places online that have good info:
    www.backyardchickens.com
    www.chickenforum.com tell 'em ricepaddydaddy sent ya.
    Mad Trapper and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links