Ladies Only - Feminine Hygiene
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Ladies Only - Feminine Hygiene within the Ladies Only forums, part of the Archived category; I am past needing such supplies, but having two daughters who do not prep, I figured I should have something on hand should tshtf. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ladies Only - Feminine Hygiene

I am past needing such supplies, but having two daughters who do not prep, I figured I should have something on hand should tshtf. I have put aside a couple of boxes of pads and tampons. I also have a bolt of unbleached muslin that I can make pad "holders" and stuff. I save the cotton from over the counter drug bottles with this in mind. Also small pieces of fabric from sewing. I know cattails and moss can be used.

Any other ideas out there Ladies?
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Cattails and moss - whew. I sure hope we don't have to go there. I am in the same boat- past the need for myself, but I have a years worth of various tampons and pads for the two younger women in the family. I worry about a gal trying to make them last and getting toxic shock from not changing often enough. Just something to keep in mind. I guess it will be rags when all else fails. that's what my grandmotther used. They washed them out and hung them on the line like cloth diapers. Actually, cloth diapers would be great. I have some stored up for use with the new baby if needed, but no reason they couldn't be used as menstrual rags.

OK, here is the best idea ever. Menses is about the strongest taboo there is in Papua New Guinea where I used to live. Menstruating women are not allowed to prepare food for men or walk in the stilted houses, as men would not be able to then walk under the house to get wood, make repairs, etc. Women are so dangerous to men during this time that special little huts are made for women. The women have to go there for their week every month. Their women friends come to visit, bring them food, and basically take care of their needs. So each fertile woman gets a week's vacation every month! Best kept secret for thousands of years! Those women work so hard the rest of time, that they truly deserve the break.

tks

I have tons of pads and I don't even use them for myself. I read a blog post years ago that had all these uses for pads like: they make great wound care. I wish I still had it. Pads can be really cheap. I would start stocking up on them. Tampons have rare but very dangerous side effects that can't be helped without access to proper medical care. Also, Tampons have a shelf life that should be stuck too because of those side effects. My mom still had her old pad straps when I was young, I remember it being under her sink. I'm sure there is a pattern out there on the Web for it.

Being a mom of all boys and them all now having serious girlfriends who would probably come along if shtf, I was just thinking about this subject the other day. I'm praying that day doesnt come before I'm done with all that monthly stuff.
    MrsInor and charito like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RNprepper View Post
    Cattails and moss - whew. I sure hope we don't have to go there. I am in the same boat- past the need for myself, but I have a years worth of various tampons and pads for the two younger women in the family. I worry about a gal trying to make them last and getting toxic shock from not changing often enough. Just something to keep in mind. I guess it will be rags when all else fails. that's what my grandmotther used. They washed them out and hung them on the line like cloth diapers. Actually, cloth diapers would be great. I have some stored up for use with the new baby if needed, but no reason they couldn't be used as menstrual rags.

OK, here is the best idea ever. Menses is about the strongest taboo there is in Papua New Guinea where I used to live. Menstruating women are not allowed to prepare food for men or walk in the stilted houses, as men would not be able to then walk under the house to get wood, make repairs, etc. Women are so dangerous to men during this time that special little huts are made for women. The women have to go there for their week every month. Their women friends come to visit, bring them food, and basically take care of their needs. So each fertile woman gets a week's vacation every month! Best kept secret for thousands of years! Those women work so hard the rest of time, that they truly deserve the break.
    When I saw this thread I thought maybe it was as result to the "MEN ONLY ESTROGENE" threat in which women are only good enough to be pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen. As much as I would love a vacation from working 24/7 with no breaks EVER, I would think that we would be a bit further evolved than the idiot P***k that would post something like that. Why is it that men feel they can treat women with so little respect and foolishly think we would respect them for it? Some days I just long for Shit to hit the fan so I could have the opportunity to eliminate those that think in this manner from the world I live in.

As far as the real subject. Diapers are what my grandmother used also
    TG and 6811 like this.

The men only post came after the one I did about bra recommendations. I had to delete a couple of men posts and that set them off again.
    This post actually happened because a gentleman sent me a pm asking about the subject. He didn't want to make an open post because he might be labeled gay, homo etc.
    The problem I see with stocking boxes and boxes of pads is one of space. A bolt of muslin takes up a lot less space.
    I also realized that one could stuff the "holders" with the acrylic stuffing used in pillows and that would wash out nicely.

tks

Pillow stuffing might work, depending on what is. You might grab a few doses of yeast infection cures or add some of the natural ones to your stockpile. What pads and Tampons you do have, you might consider vacuum packing them. It will keep them cleaner longer and take up less space. Maybe even a few menstrual cups in storage. The younger girls on my other website rave about them, I'm not fan of them but it may be a generational thing.
    MrsInor likes this.

I did vacuum pack them. I'll ask the daughters about the cup thingy. Have yeast infection stuff - also vac packed. Can't imagine having the itchies when trying to do everything else in a survival situation.
    tks likes this.

Although I don't like using them, I have stocked these:

The Diva Cup Diva Menstrual Cup Model 1 Pre Childbirth | eBay

If there was ever a rationing of paper products, I would learn to like them.
    "We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night...mostly" ~Newt

TG

Diva cups, lots of them.

Does anyone know a good source for Diva cups that aren't $30 a pop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links