Recommendations for Smaller/ish ax ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Recommendations for Smaller/ish ax ? within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Hey everyone, I was just looking at Mora-Knives and I see they offer a nice looking ax and knife kit, I also see Gerber offers ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Recommendations for Smaller/ish ax ?

Hey everyone, I was just looking at Mora-Knives and I see they offer a nice looking ax and knife kit, I also see Gerber offers them and yes I do know Fiskar makes Gerber, I know Gerber has their Down-Range Tomahawk which I have heard nothing good about. But I'm looking for a small relatively compact ax for my b.o.b, right now I have my regular sized Fiskar chopping ax not too easily concealed, I also have a regular hardware store ax which I use for trapping and it's the same deal as my Fiskar. I hope I don't know of some kinds and someone on here does, because I'm somewhat torn between Mora and Gerber right now, what's everyone's input on it ?
    bigwheel likes this.

I know you want a small axe but this is what I carry in all vehicles and when I overnight in the woods out on my land.
    Marble's® Firefighter Survival Tool Devil's Tail Shovel
    Atilla and Camel923 like this.
    oops

Thank you Medic33 !

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    Hey everyone, I was just looking at Mora-Knives and I see they offer a nice looking ax and knife kit, I also see Gerber offers them and yes I do know Fiskar makes Gerber, I know Gerber has their Down-Range Tomahawk which I have heard nothing good about. But I'm looking for a small relatively compact ax for my b.o.b, right now I have my regular sized Fiskar chopping ax not too easily concealed, I also have a regular hardware store ax which I use for trapping and it's the same deal as my Fiskar. I hope I don't know of some kinds and someone on here does, because I'm somewhat torn between Mora and Gerber right now, what's everyone's input on it ?

Estwing

http://www.estwing.com/ao_campers_axe_long_handle.php

Recommendations for Smaller/ish ax ?-estwing-axe.png

Big enough for work but small enough to fit in a small pack. Quality USA made

IMHO I go to a 3 1/2-4 lb 32" real axe if the estwing won't do the job (ice fishing pack). For heavier work 6 lb mauls, 8 and 16 lb sledge and wedges.

I have felled large trees (east coast hardwood) with an axe but a felling saw is easier
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 02-07-2016 at 04:45 AM.
    Operator6, Slippy, Medic33 and 2 others like this.

I have an old camping hatchet that belonged to dad. Sorry I can not help with your decision between mora and gerber.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Interesting video on a few
    TacticalCanuck and Grinch like this.

I picked up a husqvarna camp axe and liked it enough I bought their hatchet too.

Retired Moderator

My nephew received a hatchet for his birthday he loves it.

Robot Check
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

We sell the mora hatchet on our site! I think it keeps the better edge over the fiskars and gerber(fiskars) its light weight, sharp amd does the job! But thast my preference! For camping and work, I like the fiskar! But for small jobs out hiking or survival runs, I like my mora!
    I dont really have anything bad to say about my gerber! It has served me well over the last 10yrs, but i have found that the mora is just a slightly better blade! I don't have anywhere close to the same use on the mora as my gerber, but I'm already noticing the blade holding up better to use!
    Last edited by jro1; 02-07-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    BuckB Are you an organ donor? If not put your organs where your mouth is. An easy way to end organ shortages is for everyone to sign up to be a donor. You don't need to murder petty criminals for that purpose. - will2

Hope this video helps!

https://youtu.be/_RlFsLFfjPg
    BuckB Are you an organ donor? If not put your organs where your mouth is. An easy way to end organ shortages is for everyone to sign up to be a donor. You don't need to murder petty criminals for that purpose. - will2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links