Some thoughts on hatchets/small axe
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Some thoughts on hatchets/small axe within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; For weeks now ive been in the woods cutting down beetle kill pine trees and bucking them up for firewood. In the process ive built ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Some thoughts on hatchets/small axe

For weeks now ive been in the woods cutting down beetle kill pine trees and bucking them up for firewood.
    In the process ive built a wood shed and a few other odds and ends using small diameter logs.
    It involves notching, peeling, shaping and delimbing. A few other projects that also require some handy blade work as well. In all cases I found both small and large knives were very inadequate for the job. My small cheap hatchet became my handy tool of choice. Normally I dont use hatchets much so I figured a large blade would do anything a hatchet would. That doesnt seem to be the case.

I keep my axes sharp enough to shave with. Ive met some who say they arent meant to be sharp, others that say its impossible to put a sharp edge on them... Meh... I like them sharp and have no trouble puting a razor edge on one (yes it handles the abuse)
    My hatchet has been serving well as a small axe for splitting stuff a knife a scraper and everything in between.

Ive owned a few of the store baught hawks and hatchets (tactical type)
    They were all to light or had an edge and shape that I didnt like very much.
    Hatchets like this one from a hardware store... A little better shap and it has the weight and balance that works well for me. But these are often cheaply made and painted to cover flaws. The edge is also a bit narrow for my use.

It occurred to me... The axes that were used in the past by some tribal groups are almost perfectly designed.
    Something like a small broad axe. Shorter than a splitting maul or wood axe. Longer and heavier than a hawk or hatchet. Slightly thinner blade body and a longer cutting edge.

If a knife isnt cutting it for you... This could be an option to consider.

Just like guns, one blade can not do it all well. I agree with you that the shaper the edge, the more efficient such a tool is.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Banned

I have a hatchet like this one. Is that what you are talking about?
    Some thoughts on hatchets/small axe-k2-_a1f97477-9ecb-44f0-9c94-30e342ab0f97.v1.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I bought one of the Gerber/Fiskars boy axes. I love it. Need to make a cover for it.
    Blackcat likes this.
    Hidden Content

My accommodation of your incompetence does not make you right.

The Good Cop

I have a full size single bit axe, a single bit axe with a somewhat shorter handle, and an Estwing hatchet like that pictured above.
    I also have two bow saws, one in my truck, one in my shop.
    For clearing brush I have a brush axe, 4 or 5 machetes, and a sugar cane knife.

But at age 67, the most used tree felling/cutting instrument I have is a nice bright orange Husqvarna chain saw.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    I have a hatchet like this one. Is that what you are talking about?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2-_a1f97477-9ecb-44f0-9c94-30e342ab0f97.v1.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	13177
    Essentially thats what ive been using but thats better quality than the one I have. I considered one like that but I prefere the style more like this Gransfors bruk hand forged broad axe but they are far to pricey for my blood and have a few things I would do different. I think ill forge my own this winter mostly just a matter of finding some time.
    Some thoughts on hatchets/small axe-image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I have a full size single bit axe, a single bit axe with a somewhat shorter handle, and an Estwing hatchet like that pictured above.
    I also have two bow saws, one in my truck, one in my shop.
    For clearing brush I have a brush axe, 4 or 5 machetes, and a sugar cane knife.

But at age 67, the most used tree felling/cutting instrument I have is a nice bright orange Husqvarna chain saw.
    I love my Husqvarna 55!
    Bow saws are quite handy.
    Brush axe is something I havent seen in my neck of the woods in years.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

I patronize Bailey's Chainsaws. They offer a wide range of woodland related equipment, clothing, boots, etc. They are geared toward professional timbermen, but weekenders can find good stuff too. Everything they sell is quality, no cheap crap.
    Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

If you know what a cant hook, or a peavey is, you will be right at home.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 10-11-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    Slippy, Blackcat and AquaHull like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

This isnt me but it is a brilliant video, I was mesmerized.

GTGallop likes this.

No longer here.

I'm getting a little Old to spend my time on my knees, back when I was younger a Standard 3.5 lb Miners Axe handled all the chores you have listed without notice. Then I took the 2.5 lb head off a Boy's Axe and put a 20 inch Miners handle on it, worked even better. Nowadays most of my axe work is done standing so I need a handle longer than my inseam. Picked up a Council Velvicut Bad Axe, Boy's Axe that handles most light duty chores. Pick the proper pattern and any of the Old Kelly Kentucky, Flint, or Perfects with a straight handle work great. For felling you can't beat a Michigan Double-bit on the eastern side of Canada, but my days of carrying a Back Biter into the woods are Over.
    Blackcat likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links