Switchblades in Ohio
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Switchblades in Ohio

This is a discussion on Switchblades in Ohio within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; If you guys didn't know, SB140 was just signed into law. The law is a little cumbersome to read but Kniferights.org summs it up nicely: ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Switchblades in Ohio

Switchblades in Ohio

If you guys didn't know, SB140 was just signed into law. The law is a little cumbersome to read but Kniferights.org summs it up nicely:
    SB 140 would change Ohio knife law by making two separate substantive changes:

1. Repealing the ban on manufacture and sale of “switchblade,” “spring blade” and “gravity” knives;

2. Clearing up the confusion in Ohio law regarding carry of ANY knife by defining a knife, razor or cutting instrument as a “deadly weapon” or “weapon” ONLY if it is used as a weapon. This would allow carrying any knife concealed in Ohio.
    Since it is illegal to carry any deadly weapon concealed in Ohio(except a handgun with a permit) , point 2 is a big help. Also, not mentioned above, but there is also self defense provisions so if you do use the knife for self defense, there are legal protections.

The actual text of the bill can be found here.

Now as soon as the 90 days after the Gov signed it elapses, I'm going shopping. I see a Benchmade Automatic in my future.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

When Wisconsin allowed automatic knives I bought a bunch. Here's what I found.

A Buck knife has more build quality than one from Europe.

Someday your spring loaded activator will jam on fabric, or your finger.

You cannot store these knives folded. You'll get more life out of knives that are always open in your collection.

Properly adjusted, I can open a standard knife faster--I only have to 'snap' it. You'll have to find a button, not easy in a dark alley.

Finally, I love my stilettos. Then again, I love collecting baseball cards...
    StratMaster and bigwheel like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

You cannot store these knives folded. You'll get more life out of knives that are always open in your collection.

Properly adjusted, I can open a standard knife faster--I only have to 'snap' it. You'll have to find a button, not easy in a dark alley.

Thanks for the tips . I agree with the comment on collection. Afterall, I already have a fairly extensive (for me) gun and ammo collection. Now to get started on a switchblade collection. I've wanted a good quality one since I was a teenager 30 years ago.
    StratMaster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

I have one auto.
    It has a manual safety, which I thought was stupid until the knife opened in my pocket.
    I have since found that assisted opening knives are faster than first switching off the safety of my auto, then activating the open button.
    Never had one of my assisted knives open in my pocket.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

To add to this, I don't just "buy" switchblades, I have 'consultants.'

As you know, I buy from Joyce and Nick, they have a nice little family business. When I want something of quality--like a knife that might save my bacon--they check their inventory and find me the best example.

I have never had a switchblade 'fail,' or had the main spring go bad. As stated, you should put this type of knife 'open' in a secure drawer.

Of course, you get what you pay for. Good quality autos cost serious money.

I don't collect knives, so you will never find mine open in a drawer. I've had a Gerber Covert Auto in my pocket for several years, and it gets used multiple times every day. I've never had a moments trouble with it.
    StratMaster and jeffh like this.

Never had one of my assisted knives open in my pocket.

Just like anything else--practice, practice, practice.

Personally, I just buy top shelf Sicilian automatics. How my retailer gets them into the country I have no idea, but it seems to be fashionable among all types of people. I think the "thrill" is the big deal. Lots of knife movies were made in the 1950s, and I believe that kids who saw these movies all imagined it was 'them' up on the screen.

To that, I was quite surprised when dealers started to ship folders to Wisconsin. For quite a long time we had to read the warning "Not Available In Wisconsin or Connecticut."

My view of automatic knives was quite mundane. It's the blade that does the cutting, not the spring or the handle. I still have a few of the "old school" types. But if I really need to slice something or do some careful trimming, I use smaller knives and thinner blades.
    StratMaster likes this.

Always had a switchblade fetish... maybe because of all the movies I grew up watching LOL. I had a vintage switchblade business back in the 80's and early 90's. Went to the larger gun shows to ply my wares and meet collectors. Went to Europe and made some good connections in Italy, Amsterdam, and Germany. Finally got to meet Henning Ritter at the Hubertus factory, the sweetest guy you would ever want to meet. I was finding odd and rare switchblades from Russia (made by prisoners from spare AK 47 parts) Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Spain, and Italy. Very popular in the states with collectors. Rubbed elbows with Les of Benchmade, the Vollotans, Al Mar (had the table next to me every year at the OKCA show in Eugene, another GREAT guy, who also put one of the first new modern switchblades into production) and that a$$hole who owned Spyderco. Had my own auto knife in production for a couple years, the American Tactical Supply M4. The knife biz was a blast, and you meet a better quality of people at knife shows! Here's my knife, on the cover of my last catalog circa 1993.

Switchblades in Ohio-scan.jpg
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

Hey, guys, trying getting to this address. Joyce and Nick sell automatics and they are very honest. I have never gotten a ding or a scratch in any knife I sent away for. Drop my name, "The Tourist from Wisconsin."

https://www.nicnac.net
    StratMaster and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

Have heard of bars so rough..the thugs carry their switchblades open in their pocket. Didnt realize they were just trying to preserve the spring tention on the activator. Learning new things is always nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links