Steam Punk Knife Sharpener - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Steam Punk Knife Sharpener

This is a discussion on Steam Punk Knife Sharpener within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I dunno... I posted this before...I'll post it again. My EDC...a Benchmade needed a sharpening tonight...pretty dull. Too much effort to cut a piece of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Steam Punk Knife Sharpener

I dunno...

I posted this before...I'll post it again.

My EDC...a Benchmade needed a sharpening tonight...pretty dull. Too much effort to cut a piece of 1/4" rope.

I used a ceramic steel...spent about 5 minutes with it and I would have no problem shaving with it right now.

My Dad could sharpen a knife on a bench stone while chewing his tobacco, talking to you and it could be used for surgery. That's the goal I always had for the last 30 years. I practiced and practiced on quality stones...just couldn't get the hang of it.

I bought the Lansky and it works great but just seems like a lot of trouble for a quick sharpening.

I'm not looking to polish the edges. I do on my chisels with sandpaper and the scary sharp process but not on my EDC...it's overkill...IMO.

I'm sold on the ceramic "steel"

That is all....carry on.
    stevekozak likes this.
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

Hey, I'm still around. It's just that I am better with polishing stones than I am with making cogent references on hobbyist forums.

As for the knives themselves, I quit collecting. Even the "latest greatest" knife is usually a knock-off of something Ernest Emerson did when I still had acne. Now, I still believe an aggressor cringes more when he sees a blade than when he sees a firearm. Imagine the encounter. A hoodlum steps out of the darkness and you start slashing at anything and everything. Technically, we should all be doing a perfect engagement.

Sadly, I have started carrying mundane knives and a P238 pistol.

A man has got to know his limitations.--Clint Eastwood
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Hey, I'm still around. It's just that I am better with polishing stones than I am with making cogent references on hobbyist forums.

As for the knives themselves, I quit collecting. Even the "latest greatest" knife is usually a knock-off of something Ernest Emerson did when I still had acne. Now, I still believe an aggressor cringes more when he sees a blade than when he sees a firearm. Imagine the encounter. A hoodlum steps out of the darkness and you start slashing at anything and everything. Technically, we should all be doing a perfect engagement.

Sadly, I have started carrying mundane knives and a P238 pistol.

A man has got to know his limitations.--Clint Eastwood
    Not when aggressor has a gun he don't. Knife for cutting dinner gun for kill dinner. good to see you pop in
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Not when aggressor has a gun he don't.
    Depends on how far away from him you are--and if you know what you're doing. Back when men were men and sheep were nervous I got a good education on knives as a singular weapon. Most people think 21-feet is enough space to negate a guy with a knife, but it's only two steps and possibly the victim freezing up.

Now, I love and collect knives, but even I think "knives as defensive weapons" is a waste of good steel. I do carry knives for self-defense, but I have never gotten so much as a drop of blood on any knife I've ever owned. In fact, I've even switched to knives with 3.5-inch or 4-inch blades. To that, I have never owned a Bowie knife, not even for decoration.

If I was forced to choose a non-firing, metal device to take out an attacker, I would grab a pot of scalding hot coffee and hit him with that. Why ruin a knife that Ernest Emerson has to fix?
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links