Two beautiful gifts.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Two beautiful gifts.

This is a discussion on Two beautiful gifts. within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; As some of you know, I do "business" with a woman named Joyce in North Carolina. To close orders quickly, I might send her a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Two beautiful gifts.

Two beautiful gifts.

As some of you know, I do "business" with a woman named Joyce in North Carolina. To close orders quickly, I might send her a knife for her clients, and she will return the favor. She had told me she "owed" me money, and I told her to take her time; her husband is quite ill and confined to bed.

So out of nowhere, the doorbell rang. I hate that bell. It spooks me, and while you might find this hard to believe, but I have more enemies than friends.

Turns out it was just the UPS guy with a box, although I had nothing on its way. The label was from "Horizon Bladeworks," the business title of Joyce' and Nick's business. I opened the box and found a great surprise! Joyce had sent me two Sicilian automatic stilettos (identical to ones I carried in high school) and a big check to boot!

I had once told her what I liked to carry, but then, how could I find knives from 1968? Well, Joyce did! One from beautiful black grained polished hardwood, and the other of decorated 'fractured' white grips, in a quality I had not seen in decades! The black knife had a perfect 'fuller,' and both them were stamped "Sicily." I believe my first beater car didn't cost this much!

As I have said, have no problem in doing business with Joyce. Her word is her bond, and I have not received a dinged folder in short of two decades. I had to laugh--it was she who bought the knives for me, and then added the remaining money she "owed" making sure the package sustained a cost to the penny!

And yes, the nomenclature on the ricasso of my new stiletto said "STILETTO ITALY." That's code for "Sicily."

I had taken up fencing in college. Since this is a discipline of thrusting, my defensive knives were purchased for this thrust--not cutting, and Joyce had remembered it.

...oh, and the white switchblade was beautiful, too...
    inceptor, bigwheel, Annie and 1 others like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

No pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    No pictures?
    Not today. My wife and my SIL are out going to visit their mother, and that usually means taking pictures. They're returning tonight and I'll have pictures soon.

But trust me, if knives come from my buddy Joyce, they will be first rate. For example, I cannot believe the build quality of this "9 inch" Sicilian stiletto. (BTW, 9 inches on a knife means a 4-inch blade and a 5-inch handle).

And that fuller is not only remarkable and a perfect addition to the blade, but this addition is a great balance for an automatic knife. The blade cannot be too heavy for the strain on the activation spring, but not too light to be a credible cutting tool.

And as stated, I bought two of them. A black one and a white one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Two beautiful gifts.-dsc03101.jpg

Let's see if this picture works.

This is my favorite knife--from my youth to my foolish adulthood. I like the way the knife looks, how its weight feels and the snappiness of the action. I also believe in "balance," and I do not think a stiletto designed to save your life needs anything more than five inches for it's grip and four inches for its blade.

My latest example has a blade with a "fuller." While I believe that feature is just an additional structure to the blade, it sure is 'purty.' It hasn't left my sight since it arrived.

BTW, if you're thinking of automatic knives, get at least one of these for your total collection.
    Last edited by The Tourist; 09-22-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Super Moderator

Looks like a nice pumpkin carving knife. Do you carve pumpkins for Halloween?
    Slippy likes this.
    "Confusion is the guardian of truth."--Vincent Frankini, Tumblar House

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Looks like a nice pumpkin carving knife. Do you carve pumpkins for Halloween?
    And ruin a perfectly good future pumpkin pie? Now this might seem odd to most of you, but I have more switchblades than I have butter-knives. This dates back to my state's outright ban on such knives. I salted them all away. Then the floodgates opened and every idiot owned what was once denied.

In the end, it's just a folding knife. Fancy, yes. The "horrible weapon of the 1950s"? Not by a long shot...
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    And ruin a perfectly good future pumpkin pie? Now this might seem odd to most of you, but I have more switchblades than I have butter-knives. This dates back to my state's outright ban on such knives. I salted them all away. Then the floodgates opened and every idiot owned what was once denied.

In the end, it's just a folding knife. Fancy, yes. The "horrible weapon of the 1950s"? Not by a long shot...
    Well, so what's good for carving jack-o-lanterns?

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Well, so what's good for carving jack-o-lanterns?
    Something with a fuse--short enough to be interesting and long enough to help older hips gain some distance. Then again, I usually talk my foolish cousins into actually holding the match...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Something with a fuse--short enough to be interesting and long enough to help older hips gain some distance. Then again, I usually talk my foolish cousins into actually holding the match...
    I want to carve a pumpkin, not blow it up!

Go to your favorite hardware store and pick up what is called a "keyhole saw "
    Annie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links