Microtech Blades.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Microtech Blades.

This is a discussion on Microtech Blades. within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I am interested in getting one. Super cool autos in my opinion. Not cheap, but, you only live once. Any advice, experience with these knives?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Microtech Blades.

Microtech Blades.

I am interested in getting one. Super cool autos in my opinion. Not cheap, but, you only live once.
    Any advice, experience with these knives?
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

You only live once until the second coming. Until then it is you duty to avoid someone else taking your life early. A good knife may help.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

They are nice. Rugged, precise. Love the auto daggers. Not sure if thats a good edc
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Microtech Blades.

Which models interest you the most?

I’ve been considering this one.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Microte...h-Review--3612
    Last edited by KUSA; 09-15-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Steve40th likes this.

I am looking at an ultratech, with serrated edges, tanto edge

I think modern OTF knives are better than the early offerings. However, being an "old guy" I always wonder if a spring loaded device (which wears out a spring if it is stored under load) is what I want to risk my life upon. A coil-driven switchblade is faster, and in a pinch it becomes a gravity knife.

Being a sharpener, I have had to touch up serrated edges. You have to use a gentle touch, and once a pointed design feature gets worn out--even a little bit--it's difficult to make the edge uniform and truly sharp.

If you feel that a serrated edge fits your safety protocols, I'd advise to put that knife in a side pocket and use a second traditional knife for slicing. The fancier things get the more pieces it needs to work and the faster it will fail under duress.
    KUSA and stevekozak like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Hey Tourist. I was told by a lady friend that daggers may not deploy, especially into solid body people. The spring may not overcome. But a fat person it generally can.
    I need serrated more for work. Certain things I need to cut..
    ANd, I take your advice seriously. I know you know your craft well.

I attempt to make the "craft" an important part of not only this forum but in our daily and work areas.

You mentioned that your lady friends "daggers" do not deploy. That's a common problem. I've seen a lot of knives that have new springs and cannot get the "deployment" they were hoping for. I do know about the old wives' tale on OTF knives.

The common gossip is that knife makers do not wish to have OTF knives impart wounds. Supposedly a knife manufacturer might also get summoned to court for the injury/death of a third party. The reasoning is probable. After all, a corporation like a knife company will have "deeper pockets" than a neighborhood guy. So they build items with "cool" but not a "tool."

This might sound mundane, but if I needed an automatic knife I would call Joyce and Nick (828-884-4302) and order the very knife you have in mind. They are a family business, they offer great deals, and they deliver within a few days. All of my knives (the really good ones like those from "Frank B") come from Joyce. They make sure their knives are from Sicily or a reputable USA supplier.
    Steve40th likes this.

I can't tell if something is being muddied here...

I have a few OTF knives. Straight-up, well-crafted, knockoffs. "Ravencrest" is one of them.
    They are designed with the function that while the blade is "in flight" between fully deployed and fully retracted, it is under no tension from a spring. The intention is clearly to prevent a knife blade from deploying into flesh to any dangerous degree. The engagement button tensions the spring, and once the sear is jumped, the spring no longer imparts any energy to the blade. The potential energy was transferred during the tensioning, but once the sear jumps, all energy has been transferred to kinetic and is being used.
    Basically, you can hold your hand 2" out from the opening and deploy the blade, and you'll get a small poke depending on the point's sharpness, but the blade will stop and fall back toward the opening. It won't be forced through.

What I think I'm reading here is that "daggers" are expected to force the blade out under active spring tension.
    Are those really a thing?

Also, springs do not wear out while remaining static (either compressed or decompressed). Springs wear out from use. (constant compression and decompression)
    Steve40th likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

@Kauboy, I cannot speak for everyone, but I was speaking in the general sense. To that, I have never seen an OTF knife that could penetrate anything--even a sheet of cardboard.

But here's a little taste of history. The idea of "switchblade knives" dates back to around 1840. And that has nothing to do with modern day switchblades. The knives were owned by matrons, and simply designed to open with one hand and snip some thread while the other hand held the item.

Supposedly, there were powerful OTF knives slightly before my time, I'm a 'boomer. Lots of automatic knives came home from WWII veterans that worked their way through Sicily and the Italian 'boot.'

But there's always an issue, but this one is a good one. OTF knives would be deadly to the owner if they could perform with the supposed power of the former model. For example, you slip your new automatic knife into your left inside jacket pocket, the spring lets go, and a powerful spring drives your blade through your right ventricle.

That, and science fiction movies always show the delightfully handsome villain with a powerful automatic knife. That's not real life. I saw more switchblades in high school than I've seen amongst professional gamblers.

Nice knives, nice myths.
    Steve40th likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links