This old cleaver restoration. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This old cleaver restoration.

This is a discussion on This old cleaver restoration. within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Nice specimens. Never owned a clever but always wanted one. I argued for weeks with a guy on a bbq forum about the difference of ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: This old cleaver restoration.

Nice specimens. Never owned a clever but always wanted one. I argued for weeks with a guy on a bbq forum about the difference of what yankees call Osage Orange and Texas folks call Boi de' Arc..heavy on the french. lol. Its pretty highly prized as fence posts out in the hick areas. Havent sent it used much much for knife or gun handles. but it should be tops.Rumored not to rot or be bug proof or something. Would be gret to see a chunk stained up nice. Sorry to report..no it do not burn as hot as mesquite no matter what it says in the old farmers Almanac. lol.
    hawgrider and Slippy like this.

Dating things like that can be hard. Village forge I found out by talking with someone that that worked their at a very young age they moved the stamp from the blade to the handle in 1940. Stuff like that helps at least get a closer number
    hawgrider likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Took a while grinding down the tang so the scales would sit flat. Finally got the holes drilled and the front of the scales rounded off.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hey Robie I noticed right away the orange osage doesn't seem to burn as easy on the end grain as the purple heart. It will still burn but with a light touch on the belt sander its a little easier not to burn.
    bigwheel likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Hey Robie I noticed right away the orange osage doesn't seem to burn as easy on the end grain as the purple heart. It will still burn but with a light touch on the belt sander its a little easier not to burn.
    Good. I haven't worked with it it a long time. I know the purpleheart burns like crazy.

Glad to see you went with the OO. It's a lot denser and heavier than the walnut and may be better suited for something like a cleaver.

Things are lookin' good!
    hawgrider and bigwheel like this.
    Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

Got the pins cut and fitted.

While test fitting the scales I realized it was going to be tough getting the front of the scales on the belt sander after the glue up so I put some shape to them before I do the epoxy. Glue up is next.

Getting better!
    hawgrider likes this.

Banned

Hawg, you are going to like the osage orange, it will loose color unless you coat it, I use real marine spar. Don't try the urethane crap.

The wood will burn working it. Tuff as nails.

This old cleaver restoration.-green-river-osage.jpg

P.S. I've got a huge mullberry coming down. They say it's like osage. Any experience? I've got a small lumber mill.
    hawgrider and bigwheel like this.

Those are some good looking knives there Trapper.

I'm thinking I'll use the butcher block oil for the finish. I liked the results on the purple heart scales I did.
    RubberDuck and bigwheel like this.

Finally got to the glue up this morning.
    Gotta be quick with a 5 min set time on this epoxy.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links