Kabar improvements?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kabar improvements?

This is a discussion on Kabar improvements? within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Do the current modifications to the Original Kabar (MK2, USMC Utility/Fighting knife) make it a better knife? 1. The inclusion of a section of serrated ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Kabar improvements?

Banned

Kabar improvements?

Do the current modifications to the Original Kabar (MK2, USMC Utility/Fighting knife) make it a better knife?

1. The inclusion of a section of serrated edge.
    2. The Kraton handle.
    3. The Kraton handle and section of serrated edge.
    4. The removal of the upper section of the handguard on the D2-Extreme.

While the D2-Extreme has been modified to allow for ease of lanyarding, is it actually an improvement on the original to remove the upper portion of the handguard while serrating the blade edge closest to the hilt?

The Good Cop

In the opinion of this Old Soldier, the original Ka-Bar adopted by the Marine Corps in 1942 is an excellent all-around field knife as is.
    Most likely, these "improvements" were made to capture a younger clientele impressed with "trendy" things.

Maybe they are a real improvement in some eyes.

I carried a contract Camillus in Vietnam, got it from the Marines we were on loan to. I never had to use it for self defense (thank God) but it was worth its weight in gold for such soldier tasks as breaking the wire banding on C-ration cases.
    Today I have a 20 year old Ka-Bar and an original WWII piece complete with GI fiberglas scabbard marked US Navy MkII 1943.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

They always have to mess with perfection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Swimmer1, dwight55 and Renec like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I like my original but the D2 Extreme KA-BAR looks pretty dang nice to me.

Kabar improvements?-1282_overview.jpg

Banned

Now I've got to admit that the D2 Tool Steel holds a working edge much longer, it takes more than a standard stone to rework the edge if you abuse it, not to mention that the serrated section requires different tools-stones to revamp the original edge. But I believe that we do need to discuss the original weaknesses to converse about the perceived improvements.

About that rattail tang?

Now salt water immersion has exacerbated that weakness. In it's original form the leather washers could be replaced after performing required maintenance. But did the Kraton handle improve or detract from the ability to service this weakness?

The Original leather sheath. Oil it and it lasts indefinitely, is it better than kydex? (What temperature are you using it at?) A kydex lined ballistic nylon sheath. Perhaps the optimum.

So why didn't Kabar just add an honest full tang and removable scales?

Not to mention why would you serrate the section of the blade that you highlight when removing the top of the handguard? Couldn't you move the serrated portion of the blade an inch or inch and a half towards the tip?

The original was easily serviced, if a bit needy for required maintenance. So are the current modifications actual improvements???
    Last edited by Swimmer1; 03-05-2020 at 09:01 PM.

The Good Cop

The thing with serrations is how are you going to sharpen the blade with just a small flat stone?
    Remember, space and weight limitations are important for the average Soldier. No room for fancy sharpening devices.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The thing with serrations is how are you going to sharpen the blade with just a small flat stone?
    Remember, space and weight limitations are important for the average Soldier. No room for fancy sharpening devices.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Smith-s-Kni...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quicksharp tools have replaced honing stones nowadays. JMHO.
    Renec likes this.

At 75 yrs old, . . . I still haven't found a serious need for a serrated blade. Not one. Never, . . . ever.

I got 2 for sure, . . . I think I have 3, . . . all good knives, . . . one has never cut anything but air, . . . probably never will in my hands, . . .

Just think somebody is trying to make a buck with a new toy, . . . but I ain't biting.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    At 75 yrs old, . . . I still haven't found a serious need for a serrated blade. Not one. Never, . . . ever.

I got 2 for sure, . . . I think I have 3, . . . all good knives, . . . one has never cut anything but air, . . . probably never will in my hands, . . .

Just think somebody is trying to make a buck with a new toy, . . . but I ain't biting.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Now those serrations, they take a different tool to re-sharpen; yet how many times have you used a serrated steak knife at a restaurant without giving it a second thought? Just how many serrated steak knives reside within your own kitchen? Get the proper sharpening tool and serrations become non-factors. JMHO.
    Last edited by Swimmer1; 03-05-2020 at 09:24 PM.

They always find away to put new finger prints on things. new and improved. Fix something that is not broken. Change for the sake of change IMO. Most soldiers at least infantry.Cav carry some type of Gerber. even that fills most needs
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links