Chicom fighting knife/letter opener - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Chicom fighting knife/letter opener

This is a discussion on Chicom fighting knife/letter opener within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; @ActionJackson , I'm with you. I have my "pretty" knives that are more collector's items, and I have my "usin' " stuff. For example, I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Chicom fighting knife/letter opener

@ActionJackson , I'm with you. I have my "pretty" knives that are more collector's items, and I have my "usin' " stuff.

For example, I happened to see a 44 dollar knife in an A.G. Russell catalog, and on a whim, I ordered one.

Good thing I did! It's the toughest, sharpest and most durable folder I've ever owned!

My point is that sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone and do research on both the oldest examples and the newest ones. I also have one of their Krudo Mozaik Folders, and I never leave the house without it. I have been using and testing folders for decades, and the Krudo is simply the best. Yes, you might have to touch it up--I would do that in any year that ends in a "5"...
    @The Tourist . My hunting (or more of a bushcrafting) knife is a Bark River Bravo 1. I love it. My EDC is a Spyderco Stretch. Thin, light, but super durable. Spydercos aren't my number one favorite knives but this has served me well for about 10 years. I just gave it a good sharpening yesterday on my new Ken Onion Work Sharp. I really love this new device!!
    Last edited by ActionJackson; 09-14-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    "The Duty Of A True Patriot Is To Protect His Country From Its Government"
    ~Thomas Paine~

@Action Jackson, *sigh* you mentioned sharpening. I have a production sharpener I needed for my business before I retired. I was quite popular, as everyone came over with a dull knife!

As for the A.G. Russell catalog, I always look for new items in the cutlery world. Obviously catalogs portray items that are new and fancy as opposed to handy and durable. However, I got tired of buying expensive stuff that cut almost as nice as the stuff I find in the catalog.

Clients find it hard to believe that the knife in my jeans is usually only worth about 30 bucks. I always check the pedigree of the alloy before I consider the folder itself. For knives that are intended to live a hard life in "the world" I usually choose a mundane alloy. All edges are going to get scuffed, chipped or outright dinged otherwise they are just expensive jewelry.

With that, I take a good natured ribbing. My friends usually smirk that my edges cost more than the folder itself. For example, the folder I am now polishing is supposedly a knife designed for the Fire Department. As stated, it cost less than most knives I own. The first one I owned from that company needed a complete face-lift, but finally polished like a scalpel. I've wondered what happened to knives that came razor sharp from the factory. Some of the first knives I purchased as a youth were ready to do surgery right out of the box.
    ActionJackson likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I keep sensing some deep seated knife fetishes around this place. I sure loved my machette back in boy scouts. Could fell a saplings or dehead a snattle rake right quick. Accidently stuck the point deep in between a pals eyes on the back swing when he was lookng over my shoulder trying to learn how to chop wood with it. Forutuanely an inch either way woulda prob took out an eye.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I keep sensing some deep seated knife fetishes around this place. I sure loved my machette back in boy scouts. Could fell a saplings or dehead a snattle rake right quick. Accidently stuck the point deep in between a pals eyes on the back swing when he was lookng over my shoulder trying to learn how to chop wood with it. Forutuanely an inch either way woulda prob took out an eye.
    Your senses are accurate. I've been a huge fan of knives since my dad gave me an Old Timer friction folder when I was a little kid. He then bought me a bone-handled skinner when I was around 12. I've been addicted ever since. I have about 300 knives in my collection but haven't purchased anything new in the past 4 years or so. I guess enough is enough!!
    bigwheel likes this.
    "The Duty Of A True Patriot Is To Protect His Country From Its Government"
    ~Thomas Paine~

@ActionJackson, You seem to be my brother by another mother. Like you, I have two drawers full of knives. Every new pair of blue jeans I buy immediately gets two knives (one in each front pocket) without a thought.

Granted, some of the folders I have purchased are not jackknives, but defensive folders. *sigh* To that end, I think the place for defensive edges is nearing its end. Every mother's son has a pistol of some kind. Sadly, even I have reached for a small pistol before a knife in going to the mall.

Having said that, I enjoy my hobby and keep looking for items I have seen but never purchased. One of my latest knives was my kind of item! The blade and edge looked like they were made by a private cutler. The handle, however, looked like a bargain basement entity. To that end, I shoved this knife into my pocket, and it seems like this folder was made for my personal request.

When knives get too fancy they wind up in a drawer. As I get older I like to play with my toys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    @ActionJackson, You seem to be my brother by another mother. Like you, I have two drawers full of knives. Every new pair of blue jeans I buy immediately gets two knives (one in each front pocket) without a thought.

Granted, some of the folders I have purchased are not jackknives, but defensive folders. *sigh* To that end, I think the place for defensive edges is nearing its end. Every mother's son has a pistol of some kind. Sadly, even I have reached for a small pistol before a knife in going to the mall.

Having said that, I enjoy my hobby and keep looking for items I have seen but never purchased. One of my latest knives was my kind of item! The blade and edge looked like they were made by a private cutler. The handle, however, looked like a bargain basement entity. To that end, I shoved this knife into my pocket, and it seems like this folder was made for my personal request.

When knives get too fancy they wind up in a drawer. As I get older I like to play with my toys.
    I carry gun and knife.
    Denton and ActionJackson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    I carry gun and knife.
    Sadly, I have made the same choice over the last few months. I guess I wanted "The Peoples Republik of Madison" to tough out the national outrage of "an automatic firearm in every pot."

I used to walk dark Madison streets at 2:00AM in the morning with nothing more than a 'team jacket' and a rudimentary jackknife. Now I wouldn't walk down State Street without two buddies and some slick firearms. The Madison you might remember is long gone.

I went to my doctor's office one day and noticed that "Josey's" diner appeared to have been moved or closed. It looks like the old "Spaghetti Corners" is just a memory. But to be fair, I don't even walk around in suburbia anymore without some defensive item. Having been born in Milwaukee I guess I should know better. I worked my way through college at a hardware company on 32nd and Center. I wouldn't go there now with sometime fetching in Kevlar...
    ActionJackson and KUSA like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links