Chicom fighting knife/letter opener - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Chicom fighting knife/letter opener

This is a discussion on Chicom fighting knife/letter opener within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Annie, if there's a show about knives, sharpening or collecting, I make sure I watch it! Sadly, there aren't that many of these shows in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Chicom fighting knife/letter opener

Annie, if there's a show about knives, sharpening or collecting, I make sure I watch it! Sadly, there aren't that many of these shows in my area, short of those on the weekend that discuss carpentry. If anything, I'm getting more and more out of the loop.

The most radical and 'modern' alloy I know of is ZDP-189. No kidding, that was the last of the "super steels" that I researched.

As you know, I got a part-time job at a hardware outlet, but they closed and I went back to straight sharpening. As for that alloy ZDP-189, I wonder if I have the right stones to shape it.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

My friend found a nice, sharp spear point in the creek while fishing, it's still sharp.

About 6" with haft.

CAN @tourist polish it?

It's flint/chert

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    CAN @tourist polish it?
    In truth, I'm not sure.

I have not purchased polishing stones in more than five years. During that time lots of stuff was invented. I wouldn't be surprised if the alloys we knew "back in the day" have now been re-formulated to provide superior polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    In truth, I'm not sure.

I have not purchased polishing stones in more than five years. During that time lots of stuff was invented. I wouldn't be surprised if the alloys we knew "back in the day" have now been re-formulated to provide superior polishing.

I dunno. Many times, "New and Improved" is Madison Avenue-speak for "Still Lousy Even Though We Only Raised The Price".
    stevekozak, ActionJackson and SGG like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

I think I saw a similar knife being sold at a trinket shop located in a Denver mall. My wife bought a couple of similar knives for me a long time ago. I didn't have the heart to tell her that they were gimmicks. For the heck of it ... I tried to sharpen them but decided that I was wasting my time. I'm not saying that the knife in the OP was or is as bad as the two my wife got me but the box looked very similar.
    bigwheel likes this.
    "The Duty Of A True Patriot Is To Protect His Country From Its Government"
    ~Thomas Paine~

@ActionJackson , have you tried a very fine polishing stone--one that feels smooth when you rub your finger on it!

With fragile items I use the finest stone I have and rub gently. If there's no one in your area that carries the full spectrum of stones, go onto the website and look for "Ken Schwartz." He's an old friend and knows more about abrasives than some knife makers.

I have just shy of 40 of his stones. They take decades to wear, and he backs up everything he sells.
    ActionJackson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    @ActionJackson , have you tried a very fine polishing stone--one that feels smooth when you rub your finger on it!

With fragile items I use the finest stone I have and rub gently. If there's no one in your area that carries the full spectrum of stones, go onto the website and look for "Ken Schwartz." He's an old friend and knows more about abrasives than some knife makers.

I have just shy of 40 of his stones. They take decades to wear, and he backs up everything he sells.
    Howdy. I have nearly 300 knives in my collection and several different sharpening systems including a 4000 grit stone by North. I probably could have put a nice edge on my novelty knives but didn't see the point in it. I keep my hunting knife and everyday carry sharp and that's about it. The rest of my knives are either an investment for future trade/sale or knives that I used to use but no longer use.
    "The Duty Of A True Patriot Is To Protect His Country From Its Government"
    ~Thomas Paine~

Well guess I best go get the knife out of the safe deposit vault at the bank since it dont seem valuable enough to put any grandkids through medical school or whatever. I will move it to the vault in the prepper shack..man cave. Thanks. Ive got the home made root beer and cigarettes down to a science for using as barter during the coming Hard Times. Now old Howard Ruff was my favorite Utah. Mormon..right next to dear old Glenn. He and I are very tight ya know?
    Name:  Glenn and I.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  14.8 KB
    Last edited by bigwheel; 09-14-2020 at 01:01 PM.

@ActionJackson , I'm with you. I have my "pretty" knives that are more collector's items, and I have my "usin' " stuff.

For example, I happened to see a 44 dollar knife in an A.G. Russell catalog, and on a whim, I ordered one.

Good thing I did! It's the toughest, sharpest and most durable folder I've ever owned!

My point is that sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone and do research on both the oldest examples and the newest ones. I also have one of their Krudo Mozaik Folders, and I never leave the house without it. I have been using and testing folders for decades, and the Krudo is simply the best. Yes, you might have to touch it up--I would do that in any year that ends in a "5"...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links