Help needed

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Help needed

This is a discussion on Help needed within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I came across (and bought) this good lookin skinner at the local pawn shop. It appears to be demascus and feels really good in the ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Help needed

Help needed

I came across (and bought) this good lookin skinner at the local pawn shop. It appears to be demascus and feels really good in the hand... now to the problem, for the life of me I can not get an edge pulled on this blade... any advice is greatly appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed-image_1581184862518.jpg  

A Watchman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickman04 View Post
    I came across (and bought) this good lookin skinner at the local pawn shop. It appears to be demascus and feels really good in the hand... now to the problem, for the life of me I can not get an edge pulled on this blade... any advice is greatly appreciated
    Nice looking Skinner.

What type of sharpening system are you using? We have some pretty knowledgeable Blade-Smith's on the Forum. I'm not one of them!

Hope they chime in but tell us what you are using and that will help the experts diagnose your solution.

Super Moderator

@hawgrider and @RubberDuck ... assistance required.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

All the rest of my blades are easily touched up buy an old school whit rock and a slick rod but I broke out the work sharp belt sharpener after awhile with still very little ground gained
    Denton likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    @hawgrider and @RubberDuck ... assistance required.
    This might be a "Tourist polisher " question but we can start out with what are you using? Stones? Steel? Kitchen knife sharpeners? If stones what stone and are you using oil on the stone?
    Denton and Slippy like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

The stone I use is a rock I bought from case knives several years ago and I always use it dry with good luck on my others but I am by no means a pro at it and my guess is that the bevel is bad off or nearly non existent

@The Tourist

Check this out! (If you can stay out the dang mall!)
    Marica and Prepared One like this.

All the rest of my blades are easily touched up buy an old school whit rock and a slick rod but I broke out the work sharp belt sharpener after awhile with still very little ground gained
    Pickman04

I wish I could help but all of my blades are sharpened by my illegals and they are all out doing yard work and maid stuff! My bad!
    A Watchman and Prepared One like this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    The stone I use is a rock I bought from case knives several years ago and I always use it dry with good luck on my others but I am by no means a pro at it and my guess is that the bevel is bad off or nearly non existent
    Well.
    I would recommend to have a couple stones with the finish stone at minimum being an Arkansas white stone. Always use a honing oil or good quality gun oil on your stones. Reason being your stones will wear out and become uneven prematurely.

Also you mentioned your bevel angle which is pretty important for a nice edge. People get all hung up on degrees of angle. I just generally follow the angle that the blade came with unless somebody previously butchered it.

If the edge is really bad get yourself one of those Lansky systems I think they are called and set that up for putting a new edge on it. Hope this helps get you started in the right direction. Anyone else have any input ?
    Last edited by hawgrider; 02-08-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Somebody wake Tourist up. This is a topic for him.
    Marica likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links