A little pleasurable sharpening.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on A little pleasurable sharpening. within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; There are times when I just have to polish something. The weather is cold and windy here and going outside probably won't happen. As you ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A little pleasurable sharpening.

There are times when I just have to polish something. The weather is cold and windy here and going outside probably won't happen. As you know, I am quite fond of my Sicilian Boy Scout Knife, and it needs a little touch-up. I went with a more toothy edge last time, and it did not trip my trigger. Today the edge gets the full polishing treatment. Ken Schwartz sent me some new stones and I found some uber-fine polish I forgot I had. It should be a good project.

A little pleasurable sharpening.-dsc02980.jpg
    Annie and hawgrider like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I made my first new passes, and the edge slid remarkably smoothly. It bit my fingerprints even at this stage.

A little pleasurable sharpening.-dsc03007.jpg

A little pleasurable sharpening.-dsc03008.jpg
    hawgrider likes this.

@The Tourist I know zero about sharpening a blade. Can you direct me to a YouTube video that won't steer me in the wrong direction? I don't even know what tools/equipment/supplies I might need.
    Marica likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@paulag1955, let me tell you something in all seriousness. I never found a "system" or singular stone that made tools sharper. Just like in any other aspect of excellence, you succeed by honest trial and error. If I took a picture of my sharpening area, you would see a fixture covered in blue painters tape and about two dozen stones or differing grits and manufacturers. And people who've watched me sharpen say I should take up "tap dancing" because of the continuous way I waltz around the knife to get the polishing stone at the right angle.

The secret (for me) is the continuous application of a black magic marker on the edge of the knife. Then I lightly make a pass on this edge to see if the stone engages the bevel uniformly. I also have a 3x9 metal flattening device I got from Ken Schwartz. During the procedure I take a pencil and make three large "X" marks midway on the stone. I then make asymmetrical passes on the flattening device until the marks are gone.

If you can find a guy who's part diamond cutter and blacksmith, that's your guy.
    Last edited by The Tourist; 01-19-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    @paulag1955, let me tell you something in all seriousness. I never found a "system" or singular stone that made tools sharper. Just like in any other aspect of excellence, you succeed by honest trial and error. If I took a picture of my sharpening area, you would see a fixture covered in blue painters tape and about two dozen stones or differing grits and manufacturers. And people who've watched me sharpen say I should take up "tap dancing" because of the continuous way I waltz around the knife to get the polishing stone at the right angle.

The secret (for me) is the continuous application of a black magic marker on the edge of the knife. Then I lightly make a pass on this edge to see if the stone engages the bevel uniformly. I also have a 3x9 metal flattening device I got from Ken Schwartz. During the procedure I take a pencil and make three large "X" marks midway on the stone. I then make asymmetrical passes on the flattening device until the marks are gone.

If you can find a guy who's part diamond cutter and blacksmith, that's your guy.
    Thanks. I'm going to let my brain digest this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    @The Tourist I know zero about sharpening a blade. Can you direct me to a YouTube video that won't steer me in the wrong direction? I don't even know what tools/equipment/supplies I might need.
    Get this and learn to use it.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Edge-P...4-Knife--13168
    paulag1955 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Thank you.

I usually just stone by eye but have been thinking about one of these. My eyes not so good anymore, not as steady as I used to be either.
    https://wickededgeusa.com/?utm_campa...SAAEgIiKPD_BwE
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

How awesome to get multiple suggestions. I'm looking into them now.

I also have a 3x9 metal flattening device, isn't this also known as dressing the stone? I never heard it called a metal flattening device before.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links