Need educating
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Need educating

This is a discussion on Need educating within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Daughter is in the market for a new knife (lost her old one) so we're having a conversation. I suggested a single or double blade ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need educating

Need educating

Daughter is in the market for a new knife (lost her old one) so we're having a conversation. I suggested a single or double blade Buck knife (she's on a limited budget). She responded that she wants one that locks but her father told her they only lock open but she doesn't believe him. We need some education, please.
    bigwheel likes this.

The Tourist is your man on this subject but below are my 4 everyday "Go To" knives;

Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty; AWESOME knife that is easy to find (orange) in my Range Bag or BackPack EDC. My first Morakniv lasted about 20 years and I cant seem to find it. This one is pretty new. So far I love it. About $25 new with a plastic sheath. Comes in multiple colors. The cheapest Morakniv is around $10. If you can't find a Mora in their product offering that fits your needs, shame on you...
    https://morakniv.se/en/product-categ...v=7516fd43adaa

Casselman Folder; A cheap knife that is often seen as a marketing promo item. A supplier of mine gave me this one about 10 years ago so it was free. It usually rides in the center console of my truck and used often.

Buck 110; Its been used for any and everything over the years. About $35 new today I think and probably comes with a sheath now a days. The Buck is usually next to me on my table or night stand and sometimes on the kitchen counter. I think Tourist is partial to the Buck 112.

Gerber Gator with gut hook; Love this knife especially the handle in wet or cold weather. About $45 new today and comes with a nylon sheath. The Gerber can be found also in my BackPack as well as on my desk. I'd buy this one again and again and give it as a gift to my family and friends...same as the Mora..

Just my opinion...

Need educating-img_1454.jpg
    Last edited by Slippy; 06-20-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Marica likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    This is my EDC knife. The old mans pocket knife the case Yellow peanut. Does everything I need it too.

Last edited by hawgrider; 06-20-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    Marica, Slippy and Joe like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks! EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Thanks! EDC?
    Every Day Carry
    hawgrider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Every Day Carry
    Of course. My EDC is now a Buck 389 Canoe. Used to be a smaller version of the Szankovits I posted about earlier but that got confiscated by the Israeli police.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Daughter is in the market for a new knife (lost her old one) so we're having a conversation. I suggested a single or double blade Buck knife (she's on a limited budget). She responded that she wants one that locks but her father told her they only lock open but she doesn't believe him. We need some education, please.
    The most important question is, "what does she plan to use this knife for?" Multi-purpose, box cutting, skinning, defense, food prep, etc?

If I understand correctly, she wants a knife that locks *closed*, but also locks into the open position?
    Options for knives that have a locking mechanism to keep them closed is very limiting. The only ones I know of that have this feature are automatics that open with the press of a button, aka "switchblades", and those are not legal everywhere. Not sure about Mississippi.

Any decent pocket folder should have sufficient friction at the pivot point to keep the knife closed, only opening when force is applied by the user with purpose.
    For a good budget knife, look at Gerber. They have some great options in the $20-$30 range that will last forever.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Get her the smaller version, a Buck 112. They even come with red handles, I just bought one for myself.

The 420HC alloy is plenty tough. Yes, it locks open, but it does not lock in the closed position. Then again, I never had a traditional, non-automatic folder open up in my pocket.

If your husband is against this idea, remember that Bucks come with a sturdy pocket sheath, I'm polishing the snap for my new Buck 112 which should arrive to day.

She's not a member here, but I'll be happy to polish the edge for her

The first picture is a leather case for Buck 112. It has blue tape on it to keep the polish from staining the leather. Yes, it's removed the next day.

The second picture is my personal Buck 112. I do not care for the Buck 110. It's shape is like a "bar of soap," and if the larger knife gets cold and slippery, your hand could slide on the blade. The biggest issue on that is that a lot of Wisconsin hunters use the Buck 110 just because it's a classic. Both the 110 and the 112 are made from the same materials and alloys, the 110 is just bigger and a "classic." The Buck 112 has that front bolster that is utilized as a "finger choil," and your daughter's hand will not slide forward.

If my red Buck 112 comes today I will do a follow-up picture.

Click on pictures to enlarge

Need educating-dsc02712.jpg

Need educating-dsc02713.jpg
    Last edited by The Tourist; 06-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Slippy likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    The most important question is, "what does she plan to use this knife for?" Multi-purpose, box cutting, skinning, defense, food prep, etc?

If I understand correctly, she wants a knife that locks *closed*, but also locks into the open position?
    Options for knives that have a locking mechanism to keep them closed is very limiting. The only ones I know of that have this feature are automatics that open with the press of a button, aka "switchblades", and those are not legal everywhere. Not sure about Mississippi.

Any decent pocket folder should have sufficient friction at the pivot point to keep the knife closed, only opening when force is applied by the user with purpose.
    For a good budget knife, look at Gerber. They have some great options in the $20-$30 range that will last forever.
    I think the issue of a "closed lock" is probably because she has a toddler and is worried about safety. She's in NC so I'll look at knife law there, but I don't think she wants anything that isn't commonly sold everywhere.

As to use-- box opening / it's handy to have a pocket knife uses. She specifically said single blade. She has a Swiss Army but claims it was too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Get her the smaller version, a Buck 112. They even come with red handles, I just bought one for myself.

The 420HC alloy is plenty tough. Yes, it locks open, but it does not lock in the closed position. Then again, I never had a traditional, non-automatic folder open up in my pocket.

If your husband is against this idea, remember that Bucks come with a sturdy pocket sheath, I'm polishing the snap for my new Buck 112 which should arrive to day.

She's not a member here, but I'll be happy to polish the edge for her

The first picture is a leather case for Buck 112. It has blue tape on it to keep the polish from staining the leather.

The second picture is my personal Buck 112. I do not care for the Buck 110. It's shape is like a "bar of soap," and if the larger knife gets cold and slippery, your hand could slide on the blade. The biggest issue on that is that a lot of Wisconsin hunters use the Buck 110 just because it's a classic. Both the 110 and the 112 are made from the same materials and alloys, the 110 is just bigger and a "classic." The Buck 112 has that front bolster that is utilized as a "finger choil," and your daughter's hand will not slide forward.

If my red Buck 112 comes today I will do a follow-up picture.

Click on pictures to enlarge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02712.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	98659

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02713.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	98661

I LOL! She's 33. I can't see that either he father or my husband (not one & the same) would object too much to her having a knife-- and if they did, I can promise she would not care!

The case would help with her worries about our grandson, at least it would give her some pease of mind b/c I doubt that at not quite 3 he could open it.

I will recommend the Buck 112 to her. And Kouboy, thanks for the Gerber reminder. I'll also recommend she get a Gerber Shard. Handiest little gadget I've ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links