I'm your Huckleberry. - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I'm your Huckleberry.

This is a discussion on I'm your Huckleberry. within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by The Tourist With something this bad I would soak the knife OVERNIGHT in Butcher Block Oil, nothing with petroleum in it. Then ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I'm your Huckleberry.

  1. #31
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    17,363
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    With something this bad I would soak the knife OVERNIGHT in Butcher Block Oil, nothing with petroleum in it.

    Then I would slowly and softly rub it gently and asymmetrically with the finest steel wool on the planet.

    Obviously there is a iron, chrome and carbon in the knife you want to maintain, but the rust has to go. Even with gentle strokes, the rust will recede.

    Every time you stop, use more Butcher Block Oil. There is no magic bullet here, you're simply separating the steel from the iron oxide. Sorry I don't have a simple solution for this issue.
    Got it. Put the knife in a container and soaked it with Howards food grade oil. Will check back in the morning to see what it looks like and then slowly start working it with some fine steel wool.

    Thanks and stay tuned!
    Last edited by Slippy; 06-16-2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: correction

  2. #32
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    17,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    With something this bad I would soak the knife OVERNIGHT in Butcher Block Oil, nothing with petroleum in it.

    Then I would slowly and softly rub it gently and asymmetrically with the finest steel wool on the planet.

    Obviously there is a iron, chrome and carbon in the knife you want to maintain, but the rust has to go. Even with gentle strokes, the rust will recede.

    Every time you stop, use more Butcher Block Oil. There is no magic bullet here, you're simply separating the steel from the iron oxide. Sorry I don't have a simple solution for this issue.
    Started the labor of removing rust on the knife after a night in an oil soak. Looking better but LOTS of caked on rust. I used the last of what I had of Howards Cutting Board Oil so I found a can of Linseed Oil and will continue the soak and scrub technique throughout the day. Using 0000 Grit Steel Wool. The handle already is looking good.

    I'm your Huckleberry.-img_1450.jpg

    (Slippy secretely hopes The Tourist will take him on as an apprentice!)

  3. #33
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    (Slippy secretely hopes The Tourist will take him on as an apprentice!)
    Oh, good, my last apprentice died!

    But hey, you scratch a client's knife you deserve to be shot...

    (BTW, Slippy, you have all the good tools and supplies there, the project will be a slow moving success. However, when perfection finally comes, you will feel good about the maintenance you have done!)
    Slippy likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Dark Corner
    Posts
    4,023
    I never did find any photos of that Schrade pro hunter I was talking about, so I took some new ones. Here they are. it's pretty dark still and you can see some of the pitting but, I got it stopped and I think the blade is in overall good shape utilitarian wise.
    .



    and once again the photos are awaiting moderator approval, what gives? @Cricket
    Last edited by Boss Dog; 06-17-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    Slippy likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

  6. #35
    Administrator


    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Dog View Post
    I never did find any photos of that Schrade pro hunter I was talking about, so I took some new ones. Here they are. it's pretty dark still and you can see some of the pitting but, I got it stopped and I think the blade is in overall good shape utilitarian wise.
    .



    and once again the photos are awaiting moderator approval, what gives? @Cricket
    They should be displaying now. I am checking again on why this is happening.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

  7. #36
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    17,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Dog View Post
    I never did find any photos of that Schrade pro hunter I was talking about, so I took some new ones. Here they are. it's pretty dark still and you can see some of the pitting but, I got it stopped and I think the blade is in overall good shape utilitarian wise.
    .



    and once again the photos are awaiting moderator approval, what gives? @Cricket
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    They should be displaying now. I am checking again on why this is happening.
    I'm pretty sure the Mods cringe when they see some of the pics I try and post! Except for @Mish who encourages them...
    Mish likes this.

  8. #37
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    In Your Dreams
    Posts
    4,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Mods cringe when they see some of the pics I try and post! Except for @Mish who encourages them...
    I told you just to start texting them to me.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Slippy likes this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

  9. #38
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    I told you just to start texting them to me.
    Mish, Denton likes to see photographs of items being constructed. To me, my pictures look a tad "raw." The only claim is that the pictures are taken as they happen, not posed. Yikes, in one shot I left a swarf rag out in the open! Granted, any mechanical device might seem a bit rough in it's early stages. However, why would a fellow forum member want to take on a project that seems to be done in haste and amid disruption?

    Go to the knife section and see a thread for a Pilar knife. Even my work area seemed disjointed. Can you give me some pointers here?
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

  10. #39
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    17,363
    I'm your Huckleberry.-img_1449.jpg

    I'm your Huckleberry.-img_1471.jpg

    @The Tourist

    OK here is the before and after of this old knife of my son's. All the rust is gone and over the course of soaking it in oil and rubbing it with steel wool this is what we have. The "Pitting" on the blade is horrible. I'm thinking I will improvise a sharpening wheel with my grinder and a stone attachment on a vise and slowly grind the heck out the blade.

    Any other suggestions for the next step will be appreciated.

    Slip!
    Last edited by Slippy; 07-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.

  11. #40
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,602
    Slip, I wish I could help you from here, but I do not use mechanized equipment.

    The good news is that you've clearly stopped the iron oxide. How deep did you intend to go?
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

 

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What is your emergency water supply in case of a failure of your current system?
    By PrepperRecon.com in forum Urban and Rural Survival
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 03:35 AM
  3. Are you doing your part for your country?!?
    By BigCheeseStick in forum General Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 11:13 AM
  4. Whats your take on "Stand Your Ground" laws?
    By survival in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
  5. Know your Disaster Risks in your Area
    By survival in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Back to Top