This is a true story.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a true story.

This is a discussion on This is a true story. within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; The day before my birthday I noticed I had a swollen gland behind my right ear. I don't get them often, but I do get ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: This is a true story.

This is a true story.

The day before my birthday I noticed I had a swollen gland behind my right ear. I don't get them often, but I do get them. I dismissed it. Then a few days later I was in pain, and my entire right side jaw had doubled in size. Off to my doctor I go.

I asked him, "What is it"?

He responded, "I don't know by palpating it, could be fluid, could be an abscess."

I settled back and remarked, "Well, Mike, you're a doctor and I am retired. Get a scalpel--or I can loan you something really sharp--make a slice, jack it open and let's see what comes out."

Dr. Mike slumped, "Chico, I cannot think of any medical situation where an attending physician would choose that as an option..."

So a few days go by yet again, the lump gets bigger and Dr. Mike is out of town. A young doctor replacement freaks and ships me over to the cat-scan department at the Dean Clinic Fish Hatchery Clinic. I got back from there about 3:30PM today. I was told a call-back would follow.

I did get a call back, from a doctor I never heard off. He said the cat-scan was negative and he wants to see me tomorrow morning at 10:00AM, 05-03-19.

Knowing this might be a delicate exchange since he did not know my sense of humor, I asked him about the procedure.

"It's quite simple," the E.N.T doc began, "I numb you up a bit, take a scalpel, make an incision, pry open the slice with a hemostat, and then drain what comes out..."

"Is this ethical?" I questioned, remembering what Doctor Mike proffered.

"I don't see why not," the E.N.T. doctor countered, "I do several dozen of these per week..."

Three extra days of pain, a second set of doctor bills, now a surgical invoice and a cat-scan. Wish me luck tomorrow...
    Joe, Denton, stevekozak and 5 others like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Joe

@The Tourist I think you need a new doc. hire the one that got the job done.
    StratMaster likes this.

Super Moderator

Forget luck; we’ll be praying for you.
    Last edited by Denton; 05-02-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Smart phone autocorrected incorrectly
    StratMaster likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Prayers up for a successful procedure and a rapid healing. Just bear in mind half of those jokers graduated in the lower 50% of their class in med school. Hopefully the cutter is in the top half. The other guy obviously isnt. I had my chin swell up one time and the doc wanted to cut a hole in it. I said...hell no. Give me some pills. He did and I got to be as good as new. Glad I didnt listen to that idiot. He got busted for shop lifting at the adjacent town where I worked at. That is low class.
    StratMaster and A Watchman like this.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the sentiment and the prayers--which I need daily!

Doctor Mike is a good Christian man, and has got me through some pretty tough times. He lives by the healer's credo of "First do no harm."

At my age, a scar on my jaw would be "street creds," LOL. But considering his values, I think Doctor Mike made the hard decision.
    StratMaster, Denton and bigwheel like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Good to see you back, Brother Man!!!
    StratMaster likes this.

Good luck. But also welcome to Modern Medicine. Working in a hospital I see this ALL the time. Nobody wants to take the first step in this litigious society.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

I hope and pray for your speedy and comfortable recovery.

In most cases cysts are not considered some thing medically necessary to remove. Not sure why but people end up suffering as they enlarge when they could have been dealt with early on.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I had a cyst on my back once. Started small and didn't hurt so I didn't bother with it. Then it started getting bigger so off to the doc I go. First thing he wants to do is send me to get it scanned, ex rays, and run some additional tests, then maybe an oncologist. It is what it is I told him. I am not going to seven different damn doctors and pay for all kinds of additional tests. Cut the thing out and let's move on. He sent me to doctor who does this kind of procedure and it was done.

Look on you tube to see the procedure and hope that's all it is, a cyst. Hang tuff and good luck.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links